IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

14 hours ago, acidbottle said:

Frenzy 7800 boxed .. will never happen as there is no box (someone prove me wrong!)

It used to have an option to purchase the box. Guess Al ran out of them. You could send him a PM asking if there will be another printing of the box.

IMG_5670.jpeg

IMG_5671.jpeg

• Like 7

On 8/10/2024 at 2:21 PM, fairy princess said:

My wish list???

Atari video cube

Keystone kapers

Galaxian

Ms PAC man

Demons to diamonds

Mega mania 

You may never come across Atari Video Cube in the wild. The cart was originally sold exclusively by the Atari Club. I purchased mine years ago via eBay. I have seen it for sale at conventions (e.g. Portland Retro Gaming Expo, etc.) but have yet to see one for sale at a classic gaming store. 

IMG_5672.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

You may never come across Atari Video Cube in the wild. The cart was originally sold exclusively by the Atari Club. I purchased mine years ago via eBay. I have seen it for sale at conventions (e.g. Portland Retro Gaming Expo, etc.) but have yet to see one for sale at a classic gaming store. 

IMG_5672.jpeg

With the exception of video cube wish is to pricey, it all a question of waiting until I can justify buying games on my wishlist.

I found a copy of Mario bros for half the price of other ebayers, so that's coming this week.

I was gonna get ms PAC man, but I think it'll have to be something a wee bit cheaper...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I probably misunderstood, I read "that is hard and you can't get them anywhere".

No worries 😉 I was not aware that you are making these boards for homebrew games 👍 I have spent many years on AtariAge but mostly in the Atari 8-bit forums so I did not know this. 

Edited by Fred_M

7 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

It used to have an option to purchase the box. Guess Al ran out of them. You could send him a PM asking if there will be another printing of the box.

IMG_5670.jpeg

IMG_5671.jpeg

Thanks for showing this, I wasn't entirely sure if it was fan made or AA itself but that confirms it. There were some Etsy vendors that may have been able to assist but they could not source images either.

18 hours ago, shane857 said:

I've seen loose copies of M.A.S.H here in the UK on ebay. Impossible Mission 7800 is fairly common also.

Good luck getting the rest thou, you'll probably have to import them.

Yeah the MASH one is fairly common here, at least the cart only.  I remember borrowing it off a friend back in the 80s to. There are some reasonably priced boxed ones on ebay so may look to import the full package. 

Trying to tie down a few rarities before values start to go upwards and out of sight!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fairy princess said:

With the exception of video cube wish is to pricey, it all a question of waiting until I can justify buying games on my wishlist.

I found a copy of Mario bros for half the price of other ebayers, so that's coming this week.

I was gonna get ms PAC man, but I think it'll have to be something a wee bit cheaper...

Funny. I too found a Mario bros for pretty cheap at a local shop. It seems the price has gone down for the cartridge. 

33 minutes ago, acidbottle said:

Trying to tie down a few rarities before values start to go upwards and out of sight!

What makes you think that is going to happen?  Are you hopeful that Atari will sell millions of 2600+'s? :D 👍

3 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

What makes you think that is going to happen?  Are you hopeful that Atari will sell millions of 2600+'s? :D 👍

I am

For the sake that i want all the cool demakes...

3 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I base this on nothing other than years of watching seemingly once reasonable prices go further upwards on various systems, especially with rarer stuff.

It's mostly a regional issue though, in particular, there are almost no bricks and mortar shops that sell Atari carts any more, plus very few online here also. There have been games (other systems) that I have let pass due to fairly high prices. These titles, in some instances, are never seen again, at best perhaps once every 2 or 3 years, then the bidding wars begin!

Have you played Atari today?  I have!  I just finished a few rounds of...

image.thumb.png.3364c7afeef4eb6a9749d15efc4b65e9.pngimage.thumb.png.aaa83fffd4a6343b485afff15692634d.png

You are a frenzied bartender trying to keep the never ending flow of
thirsty customers well watered.  You'll have to keep slinging sodas 
and occasionally guess which cans of soda the Soda Bandit has shaken.

I bought this cartridge among many other cartridges on FleaBay, they didn't know what they had and I got a deal on it.

<SPOILER>

There are several bar scenes in this game according to the manual: The Old West Saloon, the Jock bar, the Punk Bar, and the Space Bar!

This morning, I finally made it to the space bar (I didn't know there was a space-themed bar until I reached it!  I decided to use the CX78+ gamepad this time and feel it improved my scoring.  

Here is my highest score on Tapper

image.thumb.jpeg.e032727762a6685cdf3fa2758ed0ee2b.jpeg

Look at those space weirdos!  Tapper was an arcade game I enjoyed thoroughly in my youth.  Makes me want to go to the bar.

image.png

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

There are several bar scenes in this game according to the manual: The Old West Saloon, the Jock bar, the Punk Bar, and the Space Bar!

This morning, I finally made it to the space bar (I didn't know there was a space-themed bar until I reached it!  I decided to use the CX78+ gamepad this time and feel it improved my scoring.  

I didn't know there were different bar scenes.  That's cool.  Also, that's a pretty good score.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, acidbottle said:

Thanks for showing this, I wasn't entirely sure if it was fan made or AA itself but that confirms it. There were some Etsy vendors that may have been able to assist but they could not source images either.

Your welcome. Btw, may I recommend that you take a look at AA member @Marc Oberhäuser Etsy site for additional boxes. His boxes and customer service are excellent.🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acidbottle said:

It's mostly a regional issue though, in particular, there are almost no bricks and mortar shops that sell Atari carts any more, plus very few online here also.

I agree. I am based in The Netherlands and the last few years I see a lot of more "rare" Atari items for sale in Western Europe . For example Atari Jaguars and Jaguar CD players. In previous years you did not find them for sale very often, but in the last few months I see them regurarly offered on various European sites. To me it looks like some people want to cash in and more supply means lower prices. Of course there are still many people out there that think that everything that carries the brand Atari is very valuable and ask ridiculous prices.

Here in The Netherlands Ebay is not popular at all. The prices are too high and we have a lot of (more popular) alternatives like Vinted and Marktplaats. Because all European Atari inventory was moved to The Netherlands in the early nineties, a lot of Atari computers, games and consoles are easier to find here. For example many online shops and online marketplaces offer a lot of loose 2600 cartridges for around 5 Euros. I sell my spare Atari 8-bit tape software for less than 3 euros each on Vinted.

As an Atari collector for about 35 years I have learned not to search for specific items and to be patient. If an item is too expensive, take a chance and wait. If the item did not sell the asking price is often lowered. I check the sites regurarly and if I see an item, which I do not have in my collection, for a fair price I buy it. If it is too expensive for my taste I will wait for another chance.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, fairy princess said:

I've gotten my copy of Mario bros. But for some reason my copy of klax has stopped working.

Either I get a load failed, a black screen, of a mess on my screen...

Just clean your cart(s) with a q-stick/cotton bud and isopropyl alcohol. 90% of the time, that's the reason a cart will not boot.

On 8/12/2024 at 10:33 AM, Bitsized said:

Have you played Atari today?  I have!  I just finished a few rounds of...

image.thumb.png.3364c7afeef4eb6a9749d15efc4b65e9.pngimage.thumb.png.aaa83fffd4a6343b485afff15692634d.png

You are a frenzied bartender trying to keep the never ending flow of
thirsty customers well watered.  You'll have to keep slinging sodas 
and occasionally guess which cans of soda the Soda Bandit has shaken.

I bought this cartridge among many other cartridges on FleaBay, they didn't know what they had and I got a deal on it.

<SPOILER>

image.thumb.jpeg.e032727762a6685cdf3fa2758ed0ee2b.jpeg

Look at those space weirdos!  Tapper was an arcade game I enjoyed thoroughly in my youth.  Makes me want to go to the bar.

image.png

This game is so much fun. But I really suck at it. It just gets to the point where a beer is gonna be dropped, or I send an extra one... 

I did finally realize that I can hit down to go the top tho, something I didn't realize I could do when I was playing the non-cart rom. 

11 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

This game is so much fun. But I really suck at it. It just gets to the point where a beer is gonna be dropped, or I send an extra one... 

I did finally realize that I can hit down to go the top tho, something I didn't realize I could do when I was playing the non-cart rom. 

Ok, so ...  I don't have the manual for this, and I just started reading a little from it to make this post; you're right about the down, but I also just learned that you can move down the bar to grab the glasses before they hit the ground.  Then hit the button to be automatically put back in front of the taps.  That helps tremendously.  I wonder what the manual could teach us that we don't know.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2024 at 6:21 PM, Fred_M said:

Here in The Netherlands Ebay is not popular at all. The prices are too high and we have a lot of (more popular) alternatives like Vinted and Marktplaats.

I wasn't aware that retro games are sold on Vinted - I thought this was only for second hand clothing. Thank for the advice!

Prices at eBay are indeed pretty steep, but sometimes you do can find some rare games there. E.g. I got my black label PAL version of Pengo from eBay after searching for 4+ years across several European websites (including Kleinanzeigen and Tradera).

And to stay on topic: Yes, PAL Pengo works on the 2600+ 🙂

(picture below is not my copy, but just to show you what the cart looks like)

Who owns PAL Pengo (black picture label)? - Page 2 - Rarity Guide -  AtariAge Forums

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

I wasn't aware that retro games are sold on Vinted - I thought this was only for second hand clothing. Thank for the advice!

Prices at eBay are indeed pretty steep, but sometimes you do can find some rare games there. E.g. I got my black label PAL version of Pengo from eBay after searching for 4+ years acoss several European websites (including Kleinanzeigen and Tradera).

And to stay on topic: Yes, PAL Pengo works on the 2600+ 🙂

(picture below is not my copy, but just to show you what the cart looks like)

Who owns PAL Pengo (black picture label)? - Page 2 - Rarity Guide -  AtariAge Forums

Yep, Vinted is stacked with video games. Sadly more and more sellers are putting the word "atari" in their description (while selling something completely different) or sell ridiculous items in the Atari category (like Pokemon cards.... yuk).

I do my collecting differently. I am not searching for a specific item or game. I take a look what is on offer and if there is something I do not have at a fair price I buy it 😉

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitsized said:

Ok, so ...  I don't have the manual for this, and I just started reading a little from it to make this post; you're right about the down, but I also just learned that you can move down the bar to grab the glasses before they hit the ground.  Then hit the button to be automatically put back in front of the taps.  That helps tremendously.  I wonder what the manual could teach us that we don't know.

Wow. I never read the manuals lol 

• Haha 1