IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

Just tested the only PAL cart in my collection (Meteor Defense) and it works. This game is similar to Astroblast (M Network) except it’s vertically oriented. It’s an okay game. I love the artwork and purchased it because of the artwork.

IMG_2973.jpeg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

The real shame here is that we are all having a good time collecting, eBay sellers are making some nice money, but Atari, of  which we are all enthusiasts of, aren't getting a penny. I personally have spent hundreds of pounds on used carts, now owning approx 160 of them. (That's a guess). I'm sure others have too. 

It's key that they get new carts out ASAP as it's clear that there is a buzz that they must capitalise on. New carts purchased on Amazon etc, places people shop and can experience new games, enhanced games, that new game unboxing experience. We all want new carts and we all want Atari to succeed. 

Man if I could dump newly manufactured carts of the entire 2600 catalogue on the market I would.

Unfortunately it's not that easy.

But a few will be announced hopefully next week to go with the new accessories previously mentioned.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Man if I could dump newly manufactured carts of the entire 2600 catalogue on the market I would.

But a few will be announced hopefully next week to go with the new accessories previously mentioned.

Ooooh, do tell!

Yeah I understand that, but damn, if you could... You'd basically have a license to print money. 🤣

I am looking forward to the announcements. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Currently I am looking for carts which would go into my Quelle/Taiwan collection box😊

Found Mission 3,000 on ebay for 6,95... free shipping🤙

Screenshot_20240105_220957_eBay.jpg

Although I like the sound of a Bosconian port, the review linked from this site doesn’t make it sound too appealing…

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 1

These are exactly the carts I'd want if I started a collection.

Looks like they’re using an Activision-style shell…I think the grooviest thing about the 2600 carts is how varied the designs of the shells are. I don’t think third parties for any other console did anything like this; I suspect licensing terms from later console makers would have required them to use one form-factor to avoid consumer confusion.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Pretty sure this is my first Tele-Games cart, the early Outer Space (Star Ship), including Lunar Lander, an adaptation of an early text game.  I think I'm also getting the Sears exclusive Submarine Commander.

20240105_151746-Copy.thumb.jpg.3a707231b34b6c6ecb540c781675d3f8.jpg

Nice art!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Nice art!

That is definitely better than most of the Tele-games carts I’ve seen 😂

And I didn’t realise Star Ship included a Lunar Lander game mode. Depending upon whether or not my Moonsweeper cart works and scratches that itch I might have to track one of those down myself 🤔

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Yeah I understand that, but damn, if you could... You'd basically have a license to print money. 🤣

You say that but clear hyper profit making business ideas happen very rarely.

We cant put the entire catalogue say 1000 games on a cart. Just wouldnt happen.

But 4in1s lets say it not out the question. 250 carts with 4 games on each cart. Need to build 1000 each = 250,000 carts

Ben: Yeah I want to manufacture 250k carts

Boss: You got a benchmark on something similar thats been released

Ben: Nope

Boss: Well what you going on

Ben: Gut feel

Boss: GTFO

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

But 4in1s lets say it not out the question. 250 carts with 4 games on each cart. Need to build 1000 each = 250,000 carts

There are a lot of opportunities, but def not necessary to re-release everything.  Carts are out there, available, and not all of it is that great.  Focus on the good stuff, any new stuff, and opportunities to enhance or add value.  For example a "Trackball" collection, with controller.  People would be falling all over something like that I'd think.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Looks like they’re using an Activision-style shell…I think the grooviest thing about the 2600 carts is how varied the designs of the shells are. I don’t think third parties for any other console did anything like this; I suspect licensing terms from later console makers would have required them to use one form-factor to avoid consumer confusion.

On one hand I like uniformaty in collections, thats peak, but on the other when looking at hundreds of 2600 carts and coming accross the different designs like the highs of Imagic and Tigervision  to lows of late Activision carts with black and white cart labels and one piece soft plastic cases it was these differences that I searched out the most. I think thought thats because they are collections within collections...extra special.

I mean look at the way Parker Bros formatted their box arts and the actual cart design, just superb.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

There are a lot of opportunities, but def not necessary to re-release everything.  Carts are out there, available, and not all of it is that great.  Focus on the good stuff, any new stuff, and opportunities to enhance or add value.  For example a "Trackball" collection, with controller.  People would be falling all over something like that I'd think.

Yup

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Realistically I was thinking more a steady flow of enhanced versions of old games, the odd 4 in 1, some homebrews from on here with an official badge, original IP. Perhaps release ten this year. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

A driving controller bundle with an enhanced Indy 500 with new tracks!

I've seen the ROM hacks out there with new tracks already, some additional maps for the box collecting game, nice, this is an easy one.

The cart could include other games with driving controller controls added, for example Sprint Master, that is awful with a joystick but could be great with the DC. Another couple of driving games and you've got a nice pack. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

These are exactly the carts I'd want if I started a collection.

Seems like I need another box😊

Most are average hacks of Activision, Imagic, what ever games but Weltraumtunnel is a 99% copy of Laser Gates PAL.

There are other carts with the same name, different label and a totally different game😅

20240105_225444.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Seems like I need another box😊

Most are average hacks of Activision, Imagic, what ever games but Weltraumtunnel is a 99% copy of Laser Gates PAL.

There are other carts with the same name, different label and a totally different game😅

20240105_225444.jpg

So many German carts, love it.

• Like 1