IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

21 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I love it!! Extra marks for the balancing 

Our ranking isn't all that different really, and I agree that all games are fun.

Non scrolling shooter tier list (Galaxian, Phoenix etc) sounds like an excellent idea. I've got Gorf on the way, so as soon as I've received that and given it a go, I'll post my list 

I think I'll need to check my carts as I'll no doubt miss one or two, but off the top off my head some candidates I have are:

Demon Attack

Phoenix

Spider Fighter

Megamania

Turmoil

Galaxian

Stargunner

Gorf

Any other notable games?

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I think I'll need to check my carts as I'll no doubt miss one or two, but off the top off my head some candidates I have are:

Demon Attack

Phoenix

Spider Fighter

Megamania

Turmoil

Gakaxian

Stargunner

Gorf

Any other notable games?

Looks like a solid list. I'd add Threshold. Also I don't l personally own Stargunner

22 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Demon Attack

Phoenix

Spider Fighter

Megamania

Turmoil

Galaxian

Stargunner

Gorf

Any other notable games?

Oh yeah. Gotta have gyruss. Pretty rare tho

Edited by tradyblix

21 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I have a question on this. Do the two 7800 fire buttons map to A and B on an Xbox controller/X and O on a PS controller? Are they remapable? 

With the unijoysticle 2 you do not have 7800 A/B buttons!

Only the Mega7800 provides them.

The unijoysticle2 provides one button per port, please see the picture.

They are not remapable.

The unijoysticle2 C64 gives me A/B buttons on the real 7800 but it fails to work correctly on the 2600+

The 2nd button does not exist on the classic Unijoysticle2.

😔

uni_gamepad_mode_enhanced.png

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

It's funny you should mention Gyrus, I was looking at it eBay today. Hoping to have it at a reasonable price at some point. Would be nice to own just for that music!

It has great gameplay. Esp with the music. Yeah it may look kinda "bad" but it's a solid and enjoyable 2600 cart, making the usual allowances for this machine.

Going thru the 128 bytes of RAM solar system is just cool.

And it's not a cart that "cheats" by having an ARM processor on board.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

With the unijoysticle 2 you do not have 7800 A/B buttons!

Only the Mega7800 provides them.

The unijoysticle2 provides on button per port, please see the picture.

The unijoysticle2 C64 gives me A/B buttons on the real 7800 but it fails to work correctly on the 2600+ 😔

uni_gamepad_mode_enhanced.png

I'm really torn on the twin stick issue for Robotron. Hmmmm

22 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I'm really torn on the twin stick issue for Robotron. Hmmmm

Well, I had the classic Unijoysticle before the 2600+

Then I bought the C64 version and use it on my C64 and real 7800 with 2nd button.

I wanted to sell the classic but kept it for the 2600+, even just one button it let's you play twinstick.

I got a Mega7800 + 8bitdo receiver for 7800 A/B

I always had a bluetooth joystick and pads and an self built A/B joystick.

So different path.

If the dual joystick you consider to buy gives you A/B buttons for the 7800 too and you do not have an arcade stick for the 7800, it might be the path for you to go!

Playing Commando or Xevious with an A/B button Joystick is great! It outclasses any pad or old joystick. The arcade feeling is back.

The picture shows my older arcade stick.

Red = A, Black = B, White = Up (jump)

Yellow = Left/Right (Track & Field controller).

And 2nd button works for C64, Amiga and 7800 depending on the switches at the back😊

I use the pad and the unijoysticle2 for twinstick and some one button games but for the 7800 I used my self built A/B arcade stick and now a bluetooth arcade stick via Mega7800/8bitdo receiver.

20240111_235730.jpg

20211127_114519.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Ok, after an evening of deliberation, playing around with all the maze shooters I own, here is my tier list:

1. Dark Cavern/Night Stalker

2. Marauder

3. Room of Doom

4. Wizard or Wor

5. Berzerk/Berzerk Enhanced 

6. Venture

I really found this tough!

At one point I had 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 swapped round. Perhaps tomorrow I would. I was however very firm on the top and bottom places. I'd say all the games are fun and it's very close. As I said on another day it may look different but it's a bit of fun to share some in the moment thoughts.

Honourable mentions to the not quite fitting in the genre but still great:

Tron Deadly Discs

Tutankham

Alien

Entombed

Now, how about a list of best vertical shooters that rhyme with Shiver Shade? 😋

Joking aside, how about the best non scrolling shooters?

Here's my balancing act. 😋

IMG_20240111_213607.jpg

Nice! Ranking Dark Cavern number one just so it can go on top.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Have I missed any obvious ones?

Demon Attack

Phoenix

Spider Fighter

Megamania

Turmoil

Galaxian

Stargunner

Gorf

Threshold

Gyruss*

Sea Quest

Space Invaders

Asteroids

Centipede

Millipede 

Missle Command

Gravitar (?)

*I do not currently own

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Well, I had the classic Unijoysticle before the 2600+

Then I bought the C64 version and use it on my C64 and real 7800 with 2nd button.

I wanted to sell the classic but kept it for the 2600+, even just one button it let's you play twinstick.

I got a Mega7800 + 8bitdo receiver for 7800 A/B

I always had a bluetooth joystick and pads and an self built A/B joystick.

So different path.

If the dual joystick you consider to buy gives you A/B buttons for the 7800 too and you do not have an arcade stick for the 7800, it might be the path for you to go!

Playing Commando or Xevious with an A/B button Joystick is great! It outclasses any pad or old joystick. The arcade feeling is back.

The picture shows my older arcade stick.

Red = A, Black = B, White = Up (jump)

Yellow = Left/Right (Track & Field controller).

And 2nd button works for C64, Amiga and 7800 depending on the switches at the back😊

I use the pad and the unijoysticle2 for twinstick and some one button games but for the 7800 I used my self built A/B arcade stick and now a bluetooth arcade stick via Mega7800/8bitdo receiver.

20240111_235730.jpg

20211127_114519.jpg

Very cool

I think I may go for the Bluetooth adapter you shared the link for as it also allows me to play with an Xbox pad if I like too, just single stick. Not sure why I would, but might be handy. Also I do have a C64 so I could use it on that too. 

I do like the idea of a nice big arcade stick, but it's not easily put away... And I have a lot of stuff. 😬 Decisions decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

Nice! Ranking Dark Cavern number one just so it can go on top.

I never really played Dark Cavern until I received my Plus a couple of months ago - but DC is a terrific game!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Demon Attack

Phoenix

Spider Fighter

Megamania

Turmoil

Galaxian

Stargunner

Gorf

Threshold

Gyruss*

Sea Quest

Space Invaders

Asteroids

Centipede

Millipede 

Missle Command

Gravitar (?)

*I do not currently own

If you have Missile Command in there, then I would put Command Raid and M.A.D. in there as well. Let us see what else, Space Cavern, the three Mythicon games.

Edit: Astroblast, Deadly Duck, Gorf, Glacier Patrol, Solar Storm, Guardian, Gremlins?, Spacechase, Pigs in Space, Encounter at L-5, Warplock, No Escape!?, SpaceMaster X-7?

If you have Asteroids, then Omega Race

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 3:05 PM, JetmanUK said:

I don't mind Star Trek, but I have a Star Wars tattoo soooo yeah. 🤪🤣

Never got in Trek but lifelong Star Wars nerd (glances at 16 hours of forearm Star Wars tattoo)

On 1/9/2024 at 2:58 PM, Sean_1970 said:

Got this (finally) from the States, one I didn’t know existed. Plays much better than I would have thought, so good job Sega!

IMG_0313.jpeg

That's killer, especially with the overlay.  What did that run you?

On 1/9/2024 at 3:07 PM, shane857 said:

What's the most expensive game everybody has bought to play on the atari 2600+? Mine is Dragonfire PAL £80

Top of my skull:

New Berzerk $30

Ordered Pengo (hasn't arrived) $27

After that, $10 or less.  I'll have to post a list, I have acquired roughly 20-25 games.  

Scored 3 7800 games for less than $20 total...Choplifter (need a 2 button controller but it works), Food Fight, Ms Pac Man.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ABA180 said:

That's killer, especially with the overlay.  What did that run you?

Including postage, VAT and a coupon it was just over US$66. The overlay looks neat, but not so much in practice as it’s loose and slides around so you can find the fire button is covered. I stopped using it pretty quick!

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 1

From my gradually growing collection of Atari 2600 game cartridges (since I got my Atari 2600 Plus about a month or so ago), here's what I currently have for what I might consider non-scrolling shooters.

I like them all in their own way (and some more than others), and depending on my mood I could decide to play one over the other, so it's hard to say particular rankings.

Though from this selection of nine games, (as shown in the photo from left-to-right top row then left-to-right bottom row), this might be my ranking, starting with the top-left (Asteroids) as a top favorite;

#1: Asteroids

#2: Galaxian

#3: Missile Command (Included on the 10-in-1 cartridge that comes with the 2600+)

#4: Millipede

#5: Encounter at L-5 (I just got this one yesterday. Quite good actually once getting used to the controls. A fairly unique paddle game I thought)

#6: Astro Blast (Seems to require a paddle controller to be able to play it on the 2600+ console, which I think it's a really good and fun paddle controller game).

#7: Demon Attack

#8: Space Invaders (a classic for sure)

#9: Carnival (It's a 'so-so / ok' game for me. Still can be fun in short duration.)

I have more games on the way, so this list could change or be updated accordingly.

Atari_2600_Fav_Non_Scroll_Shooter_Games_01a.thumb.JPG.917309c9e4cfd71261f5bc68a6195bc2.JPG

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Including postage, VAT and a coupon it was just over US$66. The overlay looks neat, but not so much in practice as it’s loose and slides around so you can find the fire button is covered. I stopped using it pretty quick!

Still a nice grab and worth it, my understanding is the overlay is usually long gone even from a boxed cart.

Oh I forgot, I got a free Frostbite cart as well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Demon Attack

Phoenix

Spider Fighter

Megamania

Turmoil

Galaxian

Stargunner

Gorf

Threshold

Gyruss*

Sea Quest

Space Invaders

Asteroids

Centipede

Millipede 

Missle Command

Gravitar (?)

*I do not currently own

To add a few that others have not mentioned.

Demons to Diamonds and Air Sea Battle.

6 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I do like the idea of a nice big arcade stick, but it's not easily put away... And I have a lot of stuff. 😬 Decisions decisions.

Yes, that's why I had to get rid of 80% of my boxes😉

Nintendo Switch might be my last collection because these were still cartridges. But they are alreday seperated from their boxes, to maybe gain some space later.

Some years ago my wife wanted new furniture for the living room. I designed the Ikea around our needs to store things😉

In my little office I have my few boxes not behind closed doors, nice to watch them🤗

But since home office became en vogue, I need some space in there for... well... my office😅

20240112_065714.jpg

20231228_170728.jpg

20231228_155947.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I've been in thinking about this. To make the number more manageable, I'm going to restrict mine to non scrolling fixed movement / limited movement shooters.

Something like:

Demon Attack

Phoenix

Spider Fighter

Megamania

Turmoil

Galaxian

Gorf

Threshold

All of those games (including Turmoil) you are limited to one plane of moment; with the exception of Threshold, but even in that game you have restricted movement.

I'm not going to include games with unlimited movement (Asteroids, Gravitar) or no movement (Missile Command, Commando Raid).

Mainly because I don't want my cart stack to topple over!

Edited by Dr Karnov
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2