IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

4 minutes ago, shane857 said:

A recent purchase. Had no idea SEGA released games on the 2600 back in the day... Reminds me of destroyer. The Atari arcade game where you looked through a periscope.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I like Sub Scan and I really like all of the goodies that were included with the CIBs

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I like Sub Scan and I really like all of the goodies that were included with the CIBs

I have this on the way, just the cart, it's taken ages (no pun intended). Played the ROM quite a bit and it grew on me. Thought it was garbage at first, but intrigue made me play more until I liked it!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I have this on the way, just the cart, it's taken ages (no pun intended). Played the ROM quite a bit and it grew on me. Thought it was garbage at first, but intrigue made me play more until I liked it!

But paddles did not work for sub scan on V1.0, is it fixed on V1.1 Rev2?

25 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

But paddles did not work for sub scan on V1.0, is it fixed on V1.1 Rev2?

It's not arrived yet. I've only played the ROM on my laptop. I know TacScan doesn't currently work on the Plus, I didn't know Sub Scan didn't either. Poo. Hope they both get sorted soon. 

Is it the right port issue? 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

It's not arrived yet. I've only played the ROM on my laptop. I know TacScan doesn't currently work on the Plus, I don't know Sub Scan didn't either. Poo. Hope they both get sorted soon. 

Is it the right port issue? 

Mixed it up, it was Tac Scan I've tested so I guess and hope you have good luck with Sub Scan🤙

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Yeah I've received a few purchases in these boxes, I'm using them on boxes that have lost their strength through being squashed. They look much better in these. My tip is to push some tissue, even toilet paper, in squashed boxes to make them get their shape back. 

EDIT

I've also received purchases in cartridge size versions of these too. 

Yeah Raven Games had all the carts in wee Mylar pockets - pretty neat!

Thats a good idea for displaying crushed boxes. I’m thinking generally displaying boxes might be cool if I had more space for some kind of wall unit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, karri said:

Atari 2600 5200 7800 Game Box - PET Protectors - Pack of 25 – EVORETRO Canada

These hard protectors are awesome! I have even been thinking about using the protector box with just an inset sheet to provide the back and the side graphics. Leaving the cart visible from the front. A little like Scary for the Lynx.

LynxJam 2021 - Let's Make Something Scary

That retailer is MexUSCan only - any European sources (particularly who ship to UK)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LS650 said:

From zooming in on the sample pics, it looks to me like they are selling clear plastic boxes, with a printed paper liner.  

I was thinking more a basic card sleeve.  

Yeah you are right, they do have a plastic case around the 'box'. Apparently it's photo paper, but I don't know how thick. Still, I think they look pretty good. I just watched this: 

There is a nice way for printing good quality single copies of boxes. A local photo shop offers SRA3 size printouts in colour on 300g paper. (SRA3 = 320mm x 450mm) Single quantities are €10 and double sided €15. But if you are printing 20 pieces the price goes down to €1.50. This is a viable alternative for small homebrew releases. I have also been dreaming about a Cricut Maker 3 cutter that could cut and do the folding lines for the box. But the cutter is expensive so I just use a knife today.

There is nice designs where you open up the box from the front and you use colour print on the inside of the box also. Yastune Games release their Lynx games in really beautiful and practical boxes.

• Like 1

JINKS!!!

Now you're talking.  Most people don't like it or get it I guess.  Personally,  I wish there were another dozen games like it!  But I don't mean the same gameplay.  I mean Imagination,  Creativity!...I mean different color palettes for different levels, and unique, yet cohesive, art styles.  It reminded me of certain Atari 2600 games but way more advanced!  I wish people understood Jinks and all it brought to the table...It just seems like it went over (some) people's heads.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I've never played Karateka. Is it just that the 7800 version has wonky controls? Are other versions worth playing?

I know the Atari 50 guys just made an interactive documentary about it 

I don't really remember that much about Karateka, other than I didn't find it enjoyable and I mostly played other things. I looked on Wikipedia and it looks like the game got generally favorable reviews, or at least the Apple II and Commodore versions did. The Atari 7800 may not have gotten a good port. You know how ports can be. Sometimes, you get a good port, other times you get Grand Theft Auto for the GameBoy.

The funny part is, now I kinda want to try it again to see if it's really as bad as I remember. Sometimes, I revisit old games from my childhood and realize that they're not as bad as my memories make them out to be. Then again, sometimes they're worse. 😂

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 2

It just seems super unresponsive, to the point of being unplayable on the 7800.

I have no idea what the other versions are like, but as the game seems to have had enough critical acclaim over the years for them to make the Atari 50 style loveletter to it, The Making of Karateka, then it must be at least pretty good.

For those that haven't seen it it's on all platforms, and I play on all platforms, but 2600 Plus aside, here's a link to it on my prefered platform.

Buy The Making of Karateka | Xbox

(I need to buy this at some point myself)

Atari bought the studio, Digital Eclipse, so I guess this is an Atari game now, although someone else probably owns the Karateka license.

Digital Eclipse are great to have on board, Atari 50 was excellent and they have a real pedigree with 'retro' games.

They have a Llamasoft collection coming soon too.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

It just seems super unresponsive, to the point of being unplayable on the 7800.

I have no idea what the other versions are like, but as the game seems to have had enough critical acclaim over the years for them to make the Atari 50 style loveletter to it, The Making of Karateka, then it must be at least pretty good.

For those that haven't seen it it's on all platforms, and I play on all platforms, but 2600 Plus aside, here's a link to it on my prefered platform.

Buy The Making of Karateka | Xbox

(I need to buy this at some point myself)

Atari bought the studio, Digital Eclipse, so I guess this is an Atari game now, although someone else probably owns the Karateka license.

Digital Eclipse are great to have on board, Atari 50 was excellent and they have a real pedigree with 'retro' games.

They have a Llamasoft collection coming soon too.

Wow, that Llamasoft collection looks fantastic. I hope it gets a physical release on Switch 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Wow, that Llamasoft collection looks fantastic. I hope it gets a physical release on Switch 

Yeah it really does.

And remember this is an Atari release! Very cool to see where Atari are at now, the current owners have built a fantastic company again.

• Like 1

Today's arrival, so far, hoping for something to land later too...

I really like these Fox games. 

This is a nice game, lots going on, good sound and graphics. They stole some from River Raid though. 😬🤣 But I guess they only had so many pixels and so many ways to arrange them. 🤔🤣

IMG_20240205_134311.jpg

IMG_20240205_134317.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 7