IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

16 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

There was a special controller... 

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-spitfire-attack_8419.html

But any joystick works and I have the right stick to shoot down some BF109 anyway🕹

20240210_224322.jpg

That special controller they made for the game is pretty cool.  By the way, is that a photo of the Archer joystick?  If so, I have the same one.  I like the auto fire switch option.  

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

That special controller they made for the game is pretty cool.  By the way, is that a photo of the Archer joystick?  If so, I have the same one.  I like the auto fire switch option.  

It got sold as Quickshot II and I bought it for 19 DM in 1985🤗

Later it was sold for 12 DM = 6€, today on Ebay for 24€😊

It's a good joystick for many games but not for all. I played on my C64 with it, until I bought my first Competition Pro😀

20240211_170236.jpg

20240211_170216.jpg

64er_joysticks_0011.jpg

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

It's a good joystick for many games but not for all. I played on my C64 with it, until I bought my first Competition Pro😀

20240211_170236.jpg

20240211_170216.jpg

64er_joysticks_0011.jpg

It looked similar to mine.  I've heard of the Quickshot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

20240211_170236.jpg

20240211_170216.jpg

64er_joysticks_0011.jpg

I have a Quickshot 1 and 2 from back in the day. I used them on my ZX Spectrum but I always preferred the Atari and PowerPlay Cruiser sticks, the Quickshot looked cool. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

20240211_170236.jpg

20240211_170216.jpg

64er_joysticks_0011.jpg

I use the Quickjoy Junior to play flight/space sims on my Atari XE and ST. The flight stick style is nice for those types of games and suction cups make it nice to be able to move and shoot with one hand and work the keyboard with the other hand. They are just OK for action games IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

I use the Quickjoy Junior to play flight/space sims on my Atari XE and ST. The flight stick style is nice for those types of games and suction cups make it nice to be able to move and shoot with one hand and work the keyboard with the other hand. They are just OK for action games IMO. 

Right, action games require quick inputs and the distance you have to move this stick to close the contact was too big for fast paced games. That's why I got a Competition Pro and later even built an Arcade stick to play Kick Off2 on my Amiga🕹

But for flight games and even Decathlon it was nice🤙

4 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

20240211_170236.jpg

20240211_170216.jpg

64er_joysticks_0011.jpg

Good flight sim/shooter controller 💪

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:59 AM, Intellivision Master said:

I prefer the Hyperkin Trooper for it's flexibility.  The CX40+ just isn't for me.  I can't use that.  But I'll keep it anyway since it came with the console.

Does the Hyperkin work fine witht he 2600+?  I tried a couple other cx40 types and they arent working properly.

2 hours ago, 86WARD said:

Does the Hyperkin work fine witht he 2600+?  I tried a couple other cx40 types and they arent working properly.

I have both a Hyperkin Trooper and a Hyperkin Ranger.  Both work perfectly fine with my 2600+.

(That includes the paddle knob on the Ranger.)

• Like 4

I opened up that Sure Shot controller and it’s a weird setup. One micro-clicker is activated when you press either fire button: they both just have plastic pegs that press on a lever the width of the control board and this right-angled piece of plastic hits the micro-clicker button. I’m frankly amazed this thing still works, but sadly it also means there’s nothing I can do to make the buttons as responsive as the CX40+, so no way it will become anything more than a secondary controller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I jumped on a shrink wrapped, but slightly crushed copy of Mean 18.  This is my complete 7800 boxed and loose game collection, along with my New-Atari games and my one home brew. Most of the 7800 games I got new from Raido Shack mail order back in 1995 for $10 each. I still have the receipt in some of the boxes. 

zYvtF8v.jpeg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

I jumped on a shrink wrapped, but slightly crushed copy of Mean 18.  This is my complete 7800 boxed and loose game collection, along with my New-Atari games and my one home brew. Most of the 7800 games I got new from Raido Shack mail order back in 1995 for $10 each. I still have the receipt in some of the boxes. 

zYvtF8v.jpeg

Nice collection! 
Gunfight and Halo 2600 were a couple of games that helped me introduce the 2600 to my then, young sons. We’ve spent countless hours playing Atari over the years, but for them, it began with these two homebrews. The three of us have signed copies of Halo. I really like this demake.

IMG_3815.jpeg

IMG_3818.jpeg

• Like 5

Waiting on a couple final carts to arrive this week and then taking a break from acquiring more games until the official re-releases come out later this Summer. I think I’ve just about picked up everything that speaks to me, so I’ll be more picky with what I add from here on. 

That said, and this might be blasphemy to say around here, but I haven’t felt the desire to collect any Imagic titles.

I can’t shake the impression that while they look great, the game play for most of their titles is very similar to games I already have. 

I love my Activision, Parker Bros, Sega, and Coleco titles so it’s not a 3rd party bias I have. 

Am I just missing something here lol?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

That said, and this might be blasphemy to say around here, but I haven’t felt the desire to collect any Imagic titles.

I like Imagic's stuff just because it tends to showcase the hardware well, and you can tell they were ambitious with most of their projects.

That said, Cosmic Ark is boring to me, Dragonfire is too difficult, Riddle of the Sphinx is obtuse, and the controls for Atlantis are not great. 

That said, that said, Demon Attack is fantastic and affordable, Laser Gates is also great but expensive, and Subterranea looks fantastic, but it's crazy expensive.

I can't speak on their other games as I don't own them and haven't played them.

• Like 2

Yesterdays arrivals.

Mines of Minos is really great, and was my most sought after game. 

Dream Flight is Nightmare renamed, a cool game that is a little clunky, it's a shame it wasn't more polished. Still quite fun. It's artwork also features another control panel. Atari games and their control panels. 

IMG_20240213_104132.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Yesterdays arrivals.

Mines of Minos is really great, and was my most sought after game. 

Dream Flight is Nightmare renamed, a cool game that is a little clunky, it's a shame it wasn't more polished. Still quite fun. It's artwork also features another control panel. Atari games and their control panels. 

IMG_20240213_104132.jpg

Isn’t that guy at the control panel nicked from Missile Command?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Waiting on a couple final carts to arrive this week and then taking a break from acquiring more games until the official re-releases come out later this Summer. I think I’ve just about picked up everything that speaks to me, so I’ll be more picky with what I add from here on. 

I can’t shake the impression that while they look great, the game play for most of their titles is very similar to games I already have. 

I love my Activision, Parker Bros, Sega, and Coleco titles so it’s not a 3rd party bias I have. 

Am I just missing something here lol?

I didn't know about other re-releases coming this summer.  That's interesting.  By the way, I like the Imagic games.  I only have 2 of them.  Demon Attack loose cart and Atlantis on a multi-cart. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KainXavier said:

and the controls for Atlantis are not great. 

I played that game recently.  The controls are not that difficult.  I used a joystick and was able to play it just fine.  It's all about knowing which direction to push the joystick to match with what gun turret to fire at the ship.  The sequel has faster enemies I think.  So, that would be more challenging trying to shoot down the ships with the added speed. I prefer the original game. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I didn't know about other re-releases coming this summer.  That's interesting.  By the way, I like the Imagic games.  I only have 2 of them.  Demon Attack loose cart and Atlantis on a multi-cart. 

I was referring to the 7800 games announced a couple weeks ago (Fatal Run, Ninja Golf, Food Fight) that don’t ship till May. Plus Ben hinted at a 2nd Enhanced title as well that hasn’t been announced yet. Very curious to find out what that one is. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

I was referring to the 7800 games announced a couple weeks ago (Fatal Run, Ninja Golf, Food Fight) that don’t ship till May. Plus Ben hinted at a 2nd Enhanced title as well that hasn’t been announced yet. Very curious to find out what that one is. 

Oh okay.  I thought you meant more titles coming.  As for the 2nd enhanced game, not sure what it is.  I was hoping it could be Frenzy since that's the sequel to Berzerk.  And Ben said it's an enhanced game like Berzerk.  Also, Atari bought Stern.  So, there's a chance it might be Frenzy.

This is from Wikipedia:

On March 16, 2023, Atari announced that it had acquired the intellectual property rights to 12 Stern Electronics titles, including Berzerk and Frenzy.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 2