IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

Slowly building up (restoring, if you count the fact that I had many of these as a kid) my 2600 (and adjacent) collection. I now have a dozen and a half cartridges, all of which cost me less than $5 each, including shipping (I'm fudging for the 10-in-1, which of course came with the 2600+, and for 7800 Dig Dug, which I got as a gift several years ago... but never actually played until I got the 2600+). I consider it a decent mix. Am considering expanding into homebrews, but of course I'll never be able to match the bargain pricing I've found so far in that arena (not that I'm saying I should. I absolutely believe homebrew authors deserve to be paid for their work).

(and, yes, I know that Star Raiders won't work on the 2600+ until and unless the keypad gets emulated, which I don't really expect to happen. I'm keeping the cartridge, anyway)

Atari2600set.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, NicodemusLegend said:

Slowly building up (restoring, if you count the fact that I had many of these as a kid) my 2600 (and adjacent) collection. I now have a dozen and a half cartridges, all of which cost me less than $5 each, including shipping (I'm fudging for the 10-in-1, which of course came with the 2600+, and for 7800 Dig Dug, which I got as a gift several years ago... but never actually played until I got the 2600+). I consider it a decent mix. Am considering expanding into homebrews, but of course I'll never be able to match the bargain pricing I've found so far in that arena (not that I'm saying I should. I absolutely believe homebrew authors deserve to be paid for their work).

(and, yes, I know that Star Raiders won't work on the 2600+ until and unless the keypad gets emulated, which I don't really expect to happen. I'm keeping the cartridge, anyway)

Atari2600set.jpg

Nice set there. Good games for sure. Welcome to the hobby (addiction lol)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Today's arrivals, here in my sunny kitchen, and they are in fantastic condition.

Phantom Tank is fun, I already owned a cart so I've played it quite a lot. Open Sesame, I have tried the ROM, it's pretty good too, although very simple. However it does include some speech, which I always love to hear in the early days of gaming. 

IMG_20240304_123450.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I like Blueprint.

I played it the other day.  You have to find the right pieces in order from bottom to top so the weapon can be built.  I need more practice as I end up getting the wrong piece to start with.  It's all about remembering which piece went to which house.  

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 1

So I did a thing. 

I found a Coleco bundle for next to nothing with both Smurf Rescue and Zaxxon in it, two games I haven’t been able to get working on my 2600+. 

I decided to roll the dice and see if I could get different rev’s that actually work with the plus. 

Tried Zaxxon first. 

Same issue as with my original copy. Black screen and a buzzing sound. Ugh

Tried Smurf next. 
I had low expectations since the cart shell is damaged, but the pcb itself looks ok. 
IMG_4028.thumb.jpeg.d9cb5df550bf9de1bebd96dd07180216.jpeg

Took some adjusting in the slot but eventually I had success!!

IMG_4027.thumb.jpeg.f7eddc8c36269c0fbd903bf836336a86.jpeg

Ordered a replica label and once it arrives, I’ll transplant the pcb into one of my spare Coleco cartridges. 

I now just have 3 games left that aren’t working in the 2600+

Zaxxon

James Bond 007

Pitfall II

almost there!

• Like 7

15 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

So I did a thing. 

I found a Coleco bundle for next to nothing with both Smurf Rescue and Zaxxon in it, two games I haven’t been able to get working on my 2600+. 

I decided to roll the dice and see if I could get different rev’s that actually work with the plus. 

Tried Zaxxon first. 

Tried Smurf next. 
I had low expectations since the cart shell is damaged, but the pcb itself looks ok. 

Ordered a replica label and once it arrives, I’ll transplant the pcb into one of my spare Coleco cartridges. 

Zaxxon

James Bond 007

Pitfall II

almost there!

It will be a glorious day if they can get Pitfall II working. It's one of my favorite 2600 games. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

So I did a thing. 

Tried Zaxxon first. 

Tried Smurf next. 

Zaxxon

James Bond 007

Pitfall II

almost there!

Nice!

I also have 3 not currently working:

Zaxxon

Pitfall 2

Ms Pac-man (this is an issue with the latest dumper)

I feel confident that the 2600 Plus will go from strength to strength and these carts will work. I actually think all OG carts and controllers will work one day, with only odd ball homebrew carts the possible outliers. They've done great work so far so I beleive in the team behind it. 🤟🏻

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Nice!

I also have 3 not currently working:

Zaxxon

Pitfall 2

Ms Pac-man (this is an issue with the latest dumper)

I feel confident that the 2600 Plus will go from strength to strength and these carts will work. I actually think all OG carts and controllers will work one day, with only odd ball homebrew carts the possible outliers. They've done great work so far so I beleive in the team behind it. 🤟🏻

I have no doubt that Ben and his team will figure out Pitfall II. That’s the #1 remaining fix on my wish list. 

Smurf was my #2 so now that it’s working for me, I can see the finish line. Yes, there are still the keyboard controllers to address as well, but we are getting much closer to 100%. 

• Like 4

For those of you who are now collecting carts and want a neat storage for them, try this:

I found it on Amazon for $36 - 72 slots (2x36)

They are designed for Stamp pads, but they work PERFECTLY with Atari carts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1YZWRMC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

And if you happen to have any of the Ikea Kallax line of bookcases/storage, they fit perfectly inside them.

IMG_9591.JPG

IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

For those of you who are now collecting carts and want a neat storage for them, try this:

I found it on Amazon for $36 - 72 slots (2x36)

They are designed for Stamp pads, but they work PERFECTLY with Atari carts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1YZWRMC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

And if you happen to have any of the Ikea Kallax line of bookcases/storage, they fit perfectly inside them.

IMG_9591.JPG

IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

Thanks for sharing this, I am going to check out UK Amazon now.

EDIT No luck. Shame.

Do M Network and Commavid carts fit too?

Edited by JetmanUK

8 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

EDIT No luck. Shame.

M-Network do, yes. I don't have any Commavid, so I don't know. But all the Atari/Activision/etc. carts I have fit just fine. The slots are wider than a cart by like 3/4 of an inch (2cm) but depth and height are perfect.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

EDIT No luck. Shame.

Something similar...

Verkauf durch Amazon UK😉

But you better double check the measures.

Screenshot_20240305_220207_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Something similar...

Verkauf durch Amazon UK😉

But you better double check the measures.

Screenshot_20240305_220207_Amazon Shopping.jpg

If you collect a lot of loose carts it looks good. I own 23 loose carts, so I just keep them in shoe boxes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shane857 said:

If you collect a lot of loose carts it looks good. I own 23 loose carts, so I just keep them in shoe boxes.

I did that for the longest time. Only recently did I finally start looking at more permanent storage options. They kept them well protected all these years. 👍🏼 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 6:14 PM, MikeM_ said:

It’s Strategy X, a Konami cart. I’ve had that one for a long time. 

Its label is torn so the end is missing. I’ve got a replacement label on order right now. 

IMG_3996.thumb.jpeg.ef47d5b94308fd6bfcaf85a264578d0a.jpeg

I was looking at ebay for Strategy X but my wife said "you have that game!"😉

20240305_231811.jpg

• Haha 4