IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I said I wasn't going to try to buy this, but then I stumbled across a (relative) bargain for it.  Starting to pad out my 7800 collection a little with this and the upcoming re-releases.

20240308_131717-Copy.thumb.jpg.620ae2f252b53e782f9175227cd07528.jpg

Great arcade port. The 'Pokey' sound really enhances the game. I prefer this to the C64 version, which is also good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I said I wasn't going to try to buy this, but then I stumbled across a (relative) bargain for it.  Starting to pad out my 7800 collection a little with this and the upcoming re-releases.

20240308_131717-Copy.thumb.jpg.620ae2f252b53e782f9175227cd07528.jpg

Yeah it’s pricy, but it’s probably the best of these style games out of all of them. 

At least it’s not as expensive as Ikari Warriors…

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

Yeah it’s pricy, but it’s probably the best of these style games out of all of them. 

At least it’s not as expensive as Ikari Warriors…

And Commando plays better...

As you could turn the stick in the arcade, playing Ikari Warriors, the home version should support twin stick controls🤙

Got an SNK collection for the Switch and they went on with Twinstick controls.

Ikari Warriors is a nice game on the 7800 but twinsrick controls would be better... hold on, it is a two player game... ahh 😉

• Like 3

IMG_9426.thumb.jpeg.fd02a4914e669886420b47c062576d46.jpegIMG_9427.thumb.jpeg.6f93f510985b7bc4f33a2a79be3fa6bb.jpeg I just added Stella’s Stocking and Dragon’s Havoc to my collection. This was my first time ordering from AtariAge and I was really impressed by the attention to detail and quality of the packaging, manuals, and cartridges. Keep up the great work Al!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Plumbob said:

This was my first time ordering from AtariAge and I was really impressed by the attention to detail and quality of the packaging, manuals, and cartridges. Keep up the great work Al!

I've bought a few homebrews from the AA store.  I always get the box upgrade if it's available.  I like having the box for the game.  Not that I need it but it's nice to have and looks good on the shelf.  I too am impressed by the quality of the packaging, manuals and carts.  Albert does a good job.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ewokmic said:

1.1 REV 2 fixed it. I should have read the other thread. Thanks. Now is there a future update to make the game easier? 😂

image.jpg

How many towers can you beat? Do you always start at the first tower or do you use the level skip to go to the tower you are currently trying to beat?

On 3/7/2024 at 5:55 PM, Dr Karnov said:

Wow, I like the look of those Mikrohändler sticks. Expensive?

I bought exactly this Micro-Händler controller board on a retro flea market in Germany. It was sold by a very kind guy who told me that he is versed in microelectronics and that he repairs them himself. He wanted 75 EUR for this board. It was exactly what I was looking for. I thought "you only live once" and bought it. No regrets. The paddles do not work properly on the 2600+. But on my original hardware everything is perfect.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

How many towers can you beat? Do you always start at the first tower or do you use the level skip to go to the tower you are currently trying to beat?

Only bear tower 1 so far! Need to find a bit more time. How far did you get? The tower select thing using the difficulty switch is VERY welcome.

5 minutes ago, ewokmic said:

Only bear tower 1 so far! Need to find a bit more time. How far did you get? The tower select thing using the difficulty switch is VERY welcome.

I have beaten every tower in a single playthrough, but I could not do that right now.

• Like 2

Short story about my collecting for the 2600+. In my 80ies childhood I owned a Berzerk cartridge. But I don't know where it is. It simply disappeared. Games were very expensive these days so I had a few highlights and some other highlights were played via friends' cartridges or a video rental store. For example I played Enduro and Pitfall only a few weekends (the classic rental period these times). But the Berzerk cartridge was on my radar since I bought the 2600+. I wanted it back. I read about the new Berzerk enhanced and thought about bying it. But I want to play on the 2600+ and on original PAL hardware. But even in Europe the new Atari cartridges seem to be ntsc only. So I decided to buy an old Berzerk PAL cartridge I can play properly on the 2600+ (with exp. firmware) and my old Ataris. I got it for 9 EUR. I also added the 32in1 cartridge I recently wrote about in another topic. I really like buying physical media like in the 80ies. 

atari-flea-market.thumb.jpg.74993530d301dce8c93d39328f8edaaa.jpg

• Like 7

22 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

And Commando plays better...

As you could turn the stick in the arcade, playing Ikari Warriors, the home version should support twin stick controls🤙

Got an SNK collection for the Switch and they went on with Twinstick controls.

Ikari Warriors is a nice game on the 7800 but twinsrick controls would be better... hold on, it is a two player game... ahh 😉

Commando is a better game than Ikari Warriors. Maybe It's the enhanced music and the secret areas.

I enjoy playing Ikari Warriors thou. A decent 7800 arcade port.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

Short story about my collecting for the 2600+. In my 80ies childhood I owned a Berzerk cartridge. But I don't know where it is. It simply disappeared. Games were very expensive these days so I had a few highlights and some other highlights were played via friends' cartridges or a video rental store. For example I played Enduro and Pitfall only a few weekends (the classic rental period these times). But the Berzerk cartridge was on my radar since I bought the 2600+. I wanted it back. I read about the new Berzerk enhanced and thought about bying it. But I want to play on the 2600+ and on original PAL hardware. But even in Europe the new Atari cartridges seem to be ntsc only. So I decided to buy an old Berzerk PAL cartridge I can play properly on the 2600+ (with exp. firmware) and my old Ataris. I got it for 9 EUR. I also added the 32in1 cartridge I recently wrote about in another topic. I really like buying physical media like in the 80ies. 

atari-flea-market.thumb.jpg.74993530d301dce8c93d39328f8edaaa.jpg

I expect the enhanced Berzerk runs fine on a PAL 2600, yes the colors are wrong but that should not matter.

I have the voice enhanced Berzerk from AA. It does not have diagonal shots but should be very similar to the new release.

I played it on my PAL machine many years and only noticed it was actual NTSC when I started it on my 2600+ and the colors were different. In such a game it does not bother me.

I have the original PAL Berzerk too and like it😊

Instead of the enhanced 2600 version you should buy Frenzy 7800 from AA, it has got a very nice port of Berzerk on same cart with better voice samples🤙 

• Like 2

Maybe not relevant at the moment to the 2600+, thou with further compatibility and updates...

Bought these today to try with Star Raiders on my original VCS. I find the original video touchpad that came with the game not responsive enough. Maybe it's the cardboard overlay? 🤔

Going to try these instead. Just have to remember the button configuration.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I expect the enhanced Berzerk runs fine on a PAL 2600, yes the colors are wrong but that should not matter.

I have the voice enhanced Berzerk from AA. It does not have diagonal shots but should be very similar to the new release.

I played it on my PAL machine many years and only noticed it was actual NTSC when I started it on my 2600+ and the colors were different. In such a game it does not bother me.

Instead of the enhanced 2600 version you should buy Frenzy 7800 from AA, it has got a very nice port of Berzerk on same cart with better voice samples🤙 

I have come to realise. Colours do not really matter. It's the gameplay! 👍

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I have come to realise. Colours do not really matter. It's the gameplay! 👍

For Berzerk that is absolutely right but if the trees are not green in Frontline on a PAL machine, it is strange. I call this LSD mode😉

• Haha 4

20240309_144058.thumb.jpg.bec468b6964a392b75fcfedfce5c4784.jpg

These are the other 2 games I got recently.  I like the artwork of Bank Heist.  Also, Bank Heist reminds me of Rally X in a way with the cars chasing you around.  Spacemaster X-7 is a good shooter.  I think it's a unique game for the 2600.  The sound effects are cool.  And it has auto fire which is nice.  I'm glad to have it in my collection.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

20240309_144058.thumb.jpg.bec468b6964a392b75fcfedfce5c4784.jpg

These are the other 2 games I got recently.  I like the artwork of Bank Heist.  Also, Bank Heist reminds me of Rally X in a way with the cars chasing you around.  Spacemaster X-7 is a good shooter.  I think it's a unique game for the 2600.  The sound effects are cool.  And it has auto fire which is nice.  I'm glad to have it in my collection.

Two great games there. 🤟🏻

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

I bought exactly this Micro-Händler controller board on a retro flea market in Germany. It was sold by a very kind guy who told me that he is versed in microelectronics and that he repairs them himself. He wanted 75 EUR for this board. It was exactly what I was looking for. I thought "you only live once" and bought it. No regrets. The paddles do not work properly on the 2600+. But on my original hardware everything is perfect.

The potentiometers have a value of 470/500k and work well on a C64.

Atari paddles have 1M.

I put a 500k pot in row and adjusted the setup to reach the edges in Video Olympics.

Had to adjust them again on the 2600+

They work well but now fail on C64.

I also did some mod to use the buttons a A/B for 7800 games and added a switch to select original or 7800 setup.

The micro switches got replaced, too.

20211029_185652.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, shane857 said:

Maybe not relevant at the moment to the 2600+, thou with further compatibility and updates...

Bought these today to try with Star Raiders on my original VCS. I find the original video touchpad that came with the game not responsive enough. Maybe it's the cardboard overlay? 🤔

Going to try these instead. Just have to remember the button configuration.

s-l1600.jpg

Only 5 buttons for Star Raiders anyway. Fore view, galactic map, hyperwarp, Computer on/off , shields on/off.

I may even pickup the some of the kids games that they support. Big Bird's egg hatch , Cookie Monster Munch and Oscar's trash race look playable for a 50 year old kid. 😂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

For Berzerk that is absolutely right but if the trees are not green in Frontline on a PAL machine, it is strange. I call this LSD mode😉

I often play games on my original VCS in 'LSD' mode. It makes a change to playing them with the correct colours on the 2600+.

🎵Picture yourself in a boat on a river
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies🎵 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Frenzy 7800 from here is on my wanted list, I take it it works on the 2600 Plus?