IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

12 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

20240311_1742312.thumb.jpg.c3a3ef266996192723d73ae7a4f7df4c.jpg

These are the latest games I got.  Blue Print wasn't one I wanted but it was part of the lot.  Anyway, I like all 4 games.  These are the only CBS ones I have.  

A great selection of games, but you are missing a classic - Tunnel Runner! Still plays great today and you'll be stunned what they achieved on the 2600, yes with a extra RAM in the cart, but still.

I think Tunnel Runner, Wizard of Wor and Carnival are their best games.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I played a little Freeway with my daughter earlier in the day, that's a really nice experience, I need some other simple two player games to play with her. Lovely,  precious time, her giggling away. 😊

Freeway is good.  I don't have that one yet.  But another simple game that you could play with your daughter is Frogs & Flies.  It's fun & simple.  I have that and I enjoy it.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

A great selection of games, but you are missing a classic - Tunnel Runner! Still plays great today and you'll be stunned what they achieved on the 2600, yes with a extra RAM in the cart, but still.

I think Tunnel Runner, Wizard of Wor and Carnival are their best games.  

I've played Tunnel Runner digitally.  I don't think I ever played Carnival though.  Of the 4 games in the lot, I like Solar Fox & Wizard of Wor the most.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Freeway is good.  I don't have that one yet.  But another simple game that you could play with your daughter is Frogs & Flies.  It's fun & simple.  I have that and I enjoy it.  

Ah yes, this is ideal. I think there a few attributes that make a good game for a two year old:

Single screen

Simple controls

Recognisable characters, eg an animal

Frogs and Flies, like Freeway is a good choice. Thanks. I'll try this out next time she's saying "Daddy, play game!". 🤣 

EDIT:

She also liked Pigs In Space, for a short time, it was too difficult to control, but it has animals again and it's a single screen game (in two of the levels anyway) so thats one I'll come back to as her skills increase. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I've played Tunnel Runner digitally.  I don't think I ever played Carnival though.  Of the 4 games in the lot, I like Solar Fox & Wizard of Wor the most.  

Did you like Tunnel Runner? That Riders on the Storm baseline works well in the game. Catchy. 

Carnival is a simple shooting gallery game, but it just has a good feel to it.

Yes, I like Solar Fox too, fun game. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Did you like Tunnel Runner? That Riders on the Storm baseline works well in the game. Catchy. 

Carnival is a simple shooting gallery game, but it just has a good feel to it.

Yes, I like Solar Fox too, fun game. 

I'd have to play Tunnel Runner again. It's been a while. I think I liked it.  I'll check out Carnival.  Maybe I can play it online to see how it is.  In Solar Fox arcade you can shoot.  Too bad that isn't an option on the 2600 version.

• Like 1

Just now, Intellivision Master said:

I'd have to play Tunnel Runner again. It's been a while. I think I liked it.  I'll check out Carnival.  Maybe I can play it online to see how it is.  In Solar Fox arcade you can shoot.  Too bad that isn't an option on the 2600 version.

Great, I hope you enjoy them both. 👍🏻

I didn't know that about Solar Fox, thankfully it plays well without shooting, but I do now wonder how it would have been if you could shoot. Better? Hmmm, dunno. I guess they just ran out of sprites. 🤣

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Thanks for sharing that.

Watching it I do think that the shooting is very secondary to the main action, so I can see why they thought was it OK to cut it (prob for tech reasons).

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Electric-Dreams said:

Hey ! Someone forgot to sit on your tomcat box, that's not fair ! 🤔

You could offer to go round and sit on for him.

Erm, that sounded wrong. 😬🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

played a little Freeway with my daughter earlier in the day, that's a really nice experience, I need some other simple two player games to play with her. Lovely,  precious time, her giggling away. 

I started an old thread around here call Atari with a Two Year Old that goes into depth about experiences playing these old games with little kids.

I remember some of the best...

Fishing Derby was a HUGE hit.

Oink! was also fun for awhile.  I seem to remember there's a mode where a second player can control the wolf.

Also if you've got Centipede for the 7800, you are in luck!  There's a two-player co-op mode hidden in there!  This is really fun, especially since you can subtilty defend the younger player a bit, and it can get really exciting.

There's a lot more suggestions in that thread if you dig it up.

@Intellivision Master... Nice CBS games.  I don't know if you chose them on purpose, but if not you're a bit lucky. CBS released several "Ram PLUS" games. I believe those don't work on the 2600+. None of the carts in your picture are Ram PLUS carts.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I started an old thread around here call Atari with a Two Year Old that goes into depth about experiences playing these old games with little kids.

I remember some of the best...

Fishing Derby was a HUGE hit.

Oink! was also fun for awhile.  I seem to remember there's a mode where a second player can control the wolf.

Also if you've got Centipede for the 7800, you are in luck!  There's a two-player co-op mode hidden in there!  This is really fun, especially since you can subtilty defend the younger player a bit, and it can get really exciting.

There's a lot more suggestions in that thread if you dig it up.

@Intellivision Master... Nice CBS games.  I don't know if you chose them on purpose, but if not you're a bit lucky. CBS released several "Ram PLUS" games. I believe those don't work on the 2600+. None of the carts in your picture are Ram PLUS carts.

Thanks, I will do a search for it.

She is obsessed with pink so pigs are always a good choice, Oink! crossed my mind TBH, but I find it quite boring so I have avoided it. Haha I will give it a go.

The good news is that RAM Plus games absolutely do work on the 2600 Plus!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Thanks.  I got them as a lot.  I knew about the Ram Plus versions.  Glad the ones I got are standard.  Wizard of Wor didn't work at first.  I had to mess around with the cart then it was fine.  Even if I did have the Ram Plus versions I could just play them in my 7800 if they didn't work on the Plus.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

The good news is that RAM Plus games absolutely do work on the 2600 Plus!

Oh that's good!  Maybe there was an update... My info came from a YouTube 2600+ compatibility video, but it sounds like it's outdated already!

I found the thread I was talking about if anyone is interested...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Technically Atari RealSports Tennis is "better" but this one is very pick up and play enjoyable.

Hmmm... now that I compare the two I'm not sure which one I actually had when I was a kid.... they both look very similar.  I thought it was the Activision one but I don't know now....

I’ve been rebuying a lot of cartridges I remember having as a kid. There have been a few things I’ve hesitated on because of compatibility like Star Raiders. Is it just a matter of time for keyboard and driving controllers to be compatible with the 2600+ in a future update or is it possible those things would never be addressed and I should not bother trying to buy them at this point?

2 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Oh that's good!  Maybe there was an update... My info came from a YouTube 2600+ compatibility video, but it sounds like it's outdated already!

I found the thread I was talking about if anyone is interested...

Yep, Tunnel Runner is one of favourites, it's RAM Plus and I play it on the 2600 Plus.

So I visited the thread, and it's one I've been commenting on already. 🤣 Nice thread. 😊

Have you tried out the mighty Gas Hog yet?

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Yep, Tunnel Runner is one of favourites, it's RAM Plus and I play it on the 2600 Plus.

So I visited the thread, and it's one I've been commenting on already. 🤣 Nice thread. 😊

Have you tried out the mighty Gas Hog yet?

Gas Hog is really fun... if you read the manual first.

I wondered why I do not play all the time in the lower tunnel, well covered from saucer attacks... oh, I am driving backwards and won't make much progress, as I can see on the map.

But why should I then drop down at all? The manual says when the map starts blinking you need fuel... and that can be found down in the tunnel😊

Tunnel Runner would be cool but an import from US🤔

9 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Gas Hog is really fun... if you read the manual first.

I wondered why I do not play all the time in the lower tunnel, well covered from saucer attacks... oh, I am driving backwards and won't make much progress, as I can see on the map.

But why should I then drop down at all? The manual says when the map starts blinking you need fuel... and that can be found down in the tunnel😊

Tunnel Runner would be cool but an import from US🤔

Exactly! You just need to know how to play it! Like many Atari games... it's an RTFM type situation. 🤣

Tunnel Runner is well worth it too, go for it mate!

We are talking two of the best games on the system here, and you have one already... 😁

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Exactly! You just need to know how to play it! Like many Atari games... it's an RTFM type situation. 🤣

Tunnel Runner is well worth it too, go for it mate!

We are talking two of the best games on the system here, and you have one already... 😁

Yes. As with most Atari 2600 games that are confusing, you really do need to RTFM or watch a playthrough.

• Like 4

On 3/11/2024 at 8:10 PM, 2LTIME6100 said:

I bought a second console at a reasonable price as a spare part, which will initially remain in storage in its original packaging.

I've invested quite a bit of money in my small game collection and the 2600+ is the only way for me to play the games in HD on a modern TV.

It would be pretty unfortunate if the only console I own for all the games breaks and a replacement becomes unavailable at some point or is really expensive, as happened with the mini NES, Genesis & Co.

I also hope that the console will be supported for a long time and will be available at a normal price.

Yes the 2600+ is probably the best way to play most of your favourites in HD at the mo.

Personally... I play most of my 2600 games on my actual VHS at the moment. I play all the 2600 games that don't work on my original VHS on the 2600+ and 7800 games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Yes the 2600+ is probably the best way to play most of your favourites in HD at the mo.

Personally... I play most of my 2600 games on my actual VHS at the moment. I play all the 2600 games that don't work on my original VHS on the 2600+ and 7800 games.

Thats a fancy video recorder. 😜

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Cookie Monster Munch, Big Bird's egg catch , Oscar's Trash race and Snoopy and the Red baron are fun. 

• Like 3