IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 minute ago, shane857 said:

Cookie Monster Munch, Big Bird's egg catch , Oscar's Trash race and Snoopy and the Red baron are fun. 

Thank you for this list. I currently own zero of these, so I will check out the ROMS.

• Like 1

All of those except Snoopy (which I agree is very fun) use the Kid's controller (aka the Star Raiders controller).  I thought that controller wasn't supported by the 2600+ also, but perhaps there's been an update there too.

I think there's a hacked Rom floating around somewhere for Big Bird's Egg Catch which lets it use the joystick.  That game is hard enough for adults and is totally fun.

Does anyone know if anyone ever "finished" Good Luck, Charlie Brown?  There was a community effort to complete the game from it's prototype form.  There was talk of that years ago, but I don't know if that ever happened.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

All of those except Snoopy (which I agree is very fun) use the Kid's controller (aka the Star Raiders controller).  I thought that controller wasn't supported by the 2600+ also, but perhaps there's been an update there too.

I think there's a hacked Rom floating around somewhere for Big Bird's Egg Catch which lets it use the joystick.  That game is hard enough for adults and is totally fun.

Does anyone know if anyone ever "finished" Good Luck, Charlie Brown?  There was a community effort to complete the game from it's prototype form.  There was talk of that years ago, but I don't know if that ever happened.

Ah, I guessed as much! None of the ROMs worked with the keyboard cursor keys just now on Stella on my laptop, apart from the snoopy game.

I believe the keypad is still not supported on the Plus. Hopefully all hardware will be supported one day so let's see. 🤞🏻

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Cookie Monster Munch, Big Bird's egg catch , Oscar's Trash race and Snoopy and the Red baron are fun. 

Don’t all of the sesame st. games require the keyboard controller to play?

11 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I call it my Atari VHS because you can play movies on it now. 😂 Apparently...

You can, that movie cart is quite impressive, although I would not buy one.

I assume it only works on original hardware.

• Like 3

Today's arrivals, all from Germany, across two sellers on eBay. It was an interesting contrast of what sellers can be like on there. 

The top two, both from the same seller.

The left one looked like someone had just found it at the bottom of their ashtray after 40 years. Wow! It was brown. It's cleaned up ok. The right one, it rattles, hopefully it's just a bit of plastic in there.

Both are plane shooter games, the right one is actually a hacked Choplifter where you protect tanks. The left one you shoot choppers and ships. I think it's called Sea Hawk elsewhere. 

Those games were in a thin padded envelope. 

The bottom two were from another seller, both inside a single large box with another box inside, cardboard wrapped around the carts individually and inside a cellphone bag in that! They were much cleaner too, I barely got any dirt off them. 

These two are a dragon shooter and a space shooter, so more fiction based than the first two. I think the dragon game is the best one from what I have played so far. I know all the games have other names too, I quite like collecting these carts and I thought that the contrast in the purchases was interesting. 

EDIT:

I had the names noted down, here they are, one was easy. 😜

1) Navy Aircraft 2) Desert Battle

3) Dragon Defender 4) Space Raider (!)

IMG_20240313_120404.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

This is not Atari related but when searching the web for Snoopy and the Red Baron, I came across this game.  I don't remember this one.  There was also a board game made as well.  And of course there's a song too which I like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoopy_vs._the_Red_Baron_(video_game)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9951/snoopy-and-red-baron

Edited by Intellivision Master

5 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

You can, that movie cart is quite impressive, although I would not buy one.

I assume it only works on original hardware.

Yeh, really impressive. Kind of a novelty thou. Why would you even want to watch movies on an Atari 2600?

I suppose if it had been somehow possible to make and release this back in the day, people would have thought it was some kind of witchcraft! lol

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Have you tried out the mighty Gas Hog yet?

No, but this convinced me that I should.

There's a very extensive review of it here...

https://www.orphanedgames.com/articles/Gas_Hog/Gas_Hog.html

I decided to spring for it on eBay too.  I went with the PAL version, since I discovered recently that I can see PAL carts just fine on my TCL TV (with some finagling), and the PAL version of Gas Hog cost 20% of what the NTSC version goes for.

So I'm waiting on this from Germany, along with another package, also from Germany, of some really unusual games... And that one I owe thanks to a very helpful and gracious member here who is helping me a lot!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

EDIT:

I played Dragon Defender online.  It's pretty good.  Also, it's a rare game.  I came across it once on eBay I think but passed on it due to the price. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

No, but this convinced me that I should.

There's a very extensive review of it here...

https://www.orphanedgames.com/articles/Gas_Hog/Gas_Hog.html

I decided to spring for it on eBay too.  I went with the PAL version, since I discovered recently that I can see PAL carts just fine on my TCL TV (with some finagling), and the PAL version of Gas Hog cost 20% of what the NTSC version goes for.

So I'm waiting on this from Germany, along with another package, also from Germany, of some really unusual games... And that one I owe thanks to a very helpful and gracious member here who is helping me a lot!

Good to hear! I will spread the Gas Hog gospel to anyone and everyone that will listen, so this is music to my ears, although it seems the link pushed you over the line, I'll take the credit too. 😜

I've had a policy of replacing my PAL games with the superior NTSC version, but Gas Hog is one that I have not done, it is usually very expensive and shows up on eBay very seldom too, compared to the PAL version anyway. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I played Dragon Defender online.  It's pretty good.  Also, it's a rare game.  I came across it once on eBay I think but passed on it due to the price. 

My Dragon Defender cost me €7.56 plus 20% VAT, that's £7.76 ish right now. Not bad at all. Postage was on top of that, but as it was a two game purchase when you split the cost between them it was still cheap.

How much have you seen it go for? I'm guessing the German version is more common and not as collectable to most people. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

My Dragon Defender cost me €7.56 plus 20% VAT, that's £7.76 ish right now. Not bad at all. Postage was on top of that, but as it was two games when you split the cost between them it was still cheap.

How much have you seen it go for? I'm guessing the German version is more common and not as collectable to most people. 

If I remember correctly, it was $50 US.  The artwork was different than the one you have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Today's arrivals, all from Germany, across two sellers on eBay. It was an interesting contrast of what sellers can be like on there. 

The top two, both from the same seller.

The left one looked like someone had just found it at the bottom of their ashtray after 40 years. Wow! It was brown. It's cleaned up ok. The right one, it rattles, hopefully it's just a bit of plastic in there.

Both are plane shooter games, the right one is actually a hacked Choplifter where you protect tanks. The left one you shoot choppers and ships. I think it's called Sea Hawk elsewhere. 

Those games were in a thin padded envelope. 

The bottom two were from another seller, both inside a single large box with another box inside, cardboard wrapped around the carts individually and inside a cellphone bag in that! They were much cleaner too, I barely got any dirt off them. 

These two are a dragon shooter and a space shooter, so more fiction based than the first two. I think the dragon game is the best one from what I have played so far. I know all the games have other names too, I quite like collecting these carts and I thought that the contrast in the purchases was interesting. 

EDIT:

IMG_20240313_120404.jpg

All 4 games are great🤙

Space Raider was released as "Invasion der Ufos", too. But I got this one, as the label looks nicer (original of both is Sky Alien).

Scorpion is very similar but based on a different game (original is Fire Birds).

I like the Ufo style of Sky Alien/Invasion der Ufos/Space Raider more 😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Good to know.  Snoopy and the Red Baron is expensive.  I wouldn't mind to have a copy of it but the price has to be reasonable. 

If you're patient you can find one reasonable priced on eBay.  I was able to get a loose cart that had a few smallish stains on the label for $25 plus shipping.  But yeah there are quite a few listings right now that are way overpriced/valued but one you should probably watch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Good to hear! I will spread the Gas Hog gospel to anyone and everyone that will listen, so this is music to my ears, although it seems the link pushed you over the line, I'll take the credit too. 😜

I've had a policy of replacing my PAL games with the superior NTSC version, but Gas Hog is one that I have not done, it is usually very expensive and shows up on eBay very seldom too, compared to the PAL version anyway. 

Even maybe slower, Gas Hog is difficult enough, so I am not looking for an NTSC version😊

Same for expensive Laser Gates import... slower PAL Weltraumtunnel is fine for me... until an NTSC Laser Gates shows up on Ebay Germany😉

• Like 2

I love how this thread is shifting into an exploration of obscure PAL games.

Back when I could only play NTSC I went to great lengths to obtain the CCE versions of Squirrel, A Misterous Thief, Bobby is Going Home, and Mr Postman.

Squirrel and Mr Postman I consider good games.  Both have an A-HA moment when you figure out what you are supposed to do.

It's also fun discovering all these weird games nowadays.  Even the bad ones.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Even maybe slower, Gas Hog is difficult enough, so I am not looking for an NTSC version😊

Same for expensive Laser Gates import... slower PAL Weltraumtunnel is fine for me... until an NTSC Laser Gates shows up on Ebay Germany😉

Yeah I actually think Gas Hog PAL plays perfectly fine TBF, I just hit 'zoom vertical' on my TV when I play it and it looks ok then.

I haven't compared my two copies of Laser Gates, the renamed and original, but my original may be PAL anyway, I can't remember. Yeah, it's tricky so a little slower plus that very zoom and it'll be fine I'm sure. 

I wonder which PAL games, if any, are better than the NTSC version. 🤔

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3