IGNORED

Pi Pico[W] Peripheral Expansion Box Side Port Device

JasonACT

8 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

But looking at this picture, where I also got the same .PDF - the actual socket looks different with the "extra pin" not going to the SD card pads on the other side of the socket ?????

SDsocket.thumb.png.0fd07732b964bf08fe643efbedd755cc.png

Okay, then what was the part number you used? I will purchase a few and see if that works. I am going to try to reflow mine to see if it makes a difference. It could be that I damaged that card detection switch, as I assumed it was a ground to that pad underneath. I assumed these were based on a industry standard.

Edited by RickyDean

11 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

I'm not using the card detection switch.  If the pin I've circled in red is soldered to a pad on the circuit board, then I think it's off by 1...

image.thumb.png.7f7c2241a43a0ac98f9c7e2bfbcfae0c.png

I'm using ones like this:

image.thumb.png.0aaa4599bf2819f4d9dec5cb951e079a.png

Here is a pic of an unsoldered card lineup.

unsoldered sd card lineup.jpg

@JasonACT

Well I tried removing and resetting this Sd card, did not work. So I then removed it and soldered on another, just in case there had been heat damage, this time in the above approved position,, and still not working.

Also used another Pico, just in case, still no good.

I ran continuity checks from each solder point on the two risers under the Pico to their respective pins on top of the headers that were already on the Pico's when I bought them, checked okay no shorts.

Tomorrow if I can get some time, I will trace the pins on the SD card to their respective pins on the Pico to test for continuity.

22 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Tomorrow if I can get some time, I will trace the pins on the SD card to their respective pins on the Pico to test for continuity.

It's worth trying a different SD card too, if you have some different ones lying around.

Posted (edited)

To properly format a FAT32 SD card, for use with a Pi Pico, take these steps:

diskpart
select disk 1
clean
Open "Computer Management" and create a "New Simple Volume..." and follow the usual process to format.

EDIT: This is assuming the SD card is disk 1, use "list disk" to find out.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention, these steps ensure you have a "primary" partition rather than "logical" partitions which the Pi Pico won't detect.

Edited by JasonACT
  • Like 1

@JasonACT Well I built another, had to remove the seller installed headers and then soldered the Pico straight to the board like yours. It does not flash when I insert the SDcard, but when I go into TI Basic and type in Call TIPI, it goes into the next screen and gives me the options to hit space and remap onboard disk images. So I believe the other one has an issue, maybe with the header riser(s) I installed, due to the headers? The SD card slot I removed from the other is working here, so it was not a card slot issue. 

This was designed to use a 80 col display or a F18A/Tang, wasn't it? The wrap around on a normal TI throws me off.

Just noticed that the light does flash when I first turn the system on, just before the title screen comes up. But when I unmount the SD card and plug it back in, there is no flash, but it the card info is available.

Edited by RickyDean
spelling, added content

6 hours ago, RickyDean said:

So I believe the other one has an issue, maybe with the header riser(s) I installed, due to the headers?

Mine worked OK: (but I'm glad you have it working :))

IMG_20240108_154118_HDR.thumb.jpg.1e80562dc83d90e355be65f78abc28ec.jpg

This was designed to use a 80 col display or a F18A/Tang, wasn't it? The wrap around on a normal TI throws me off.

I don't own any of those, if you have long paths on the first screen, you can use FCTN 5 (next screen) to view up to 64 characters (any more and they don't get listed).

gives me the options to hit space and remap onboard disk images.

For disks, you can press the same letters multiple times to select how to map (normal, read-cached & ram-disk). BLNK.DSK should only ever be mounted in "-" mode.

Just noticed that the light does flash when I first turn the system on, just before the title screen comes up. But when I unmount the SD card and plug it back in, there is no flash, but it the card info is available.

I don't remount an inserted SD card until you next access it, so that's normal.

Do you have a USB HUB with micro plug (or USB OTG converter) you can plug in to check a USB keyboard and gamepad works OK?

15 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

Mine worked OK: (but I'm glad you have it working :))

IMG_20240108_154118_HDR.thumb.jpg.1e80562dc83d90e355be65f78abc28ec.jpg

I don't own any of those, if you have long paths on the first screen, you can use FCTN 5 (next screen) to view up to 64 characters (any more and they don't get listed).

For disks, you can press the same letters multiple times to select how to map (normal, read-cached & ram-disk). BLNK.DSK should only ever be mounted in "-" mode.

I don't remount an inserted SD card until you next access it, so that's normal.

Do you have a USB HUB with micro plug (or USB OTG converter) you can plug in to check a USB keyboard and gamepad works OK?

I haven't gotten to the Keyboard or anything yet, working several projects. I haven't gotten the first working yet, this one is though.

I have noticed when using some memory test program like the 32k test program it will pass some banks and fail others.

I'll have to read the doc some more to see what all the options are. And as I don't have a working TIPI yet, I'm not all familiar with the workings of one.

6 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

I haven't gotten to the Keyboard or anything yet, working several projects. I haven't gotten the first working yet, this one is though.

Yeah, I'm following your progress with the Tang...  Take your time :)

7 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

I have noticed when using some memory test program like the 32k test program it will pass some banks and fail others.

It shouldn't, I ran a full 1MB SAMS test on the fail-safe image I posted, on my worst performing PSRAM chip (the ESP), and it all passed.  I might expect issues though if you're still using a 74LS138 chip?

8 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

Yeah, I'm following your progress with the Tang...  Take your time :)

It shouldn't, I ran a full 1MB SAMS test on the fail-safe image I posted, on my worst performing PSRAM chip (the ESP), and it all passed.  I might expect issues though if you're still using a 74LS138 chip?

No I got in the HC138's Saturday. Any idea's? I'll take photos of the fail messages on each memory test and upload them tomorrow. Some pages are passing others failing. I guess I should say good day to you, but good night from America.

Edited by RickyDean

14 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

No I got in the HC138's Saturday. Any idea's? I'll take photos of the fail messages on each memory test and upload them tomorrow. Some pages are passing others failing. I guess I should say good day to you, but good night from America.

Yeah, I just got home from work, it's 4:50pm Monday here.  What are the exact part numbers of all the chips you're using?

5 hours ago, RickyDean said:

Any idea's?

Some...

.As indicated, I don't know which PSRAM chip you're using, I've only tested two types now, but it's worth checking the other chips too

.I don't know which 32K memory test program you're having issues with, so I tried some recently mentioned ones on the forum, without any issues

.I thought, maybe, since the SD card is on the same SPI bus as the PSRAM, I'd try my "do not use" bad SD cards, but they worked fine with the fail-safe image

.You could try loading the memory test program, then eject the SD card, and then run it "alone" to see if your SD card was affecting things

.I have an undocumented* image tester routine you can try: "CALL TIPI("/bigcart")" - back to basic, wait, "CALL TIPI("/bigcart:") tests it, reset=good, basic error=bad

.Maybe you just have an "actually bad" PSRAM chip - the "tester routine" pretty much verifies this, since it's writing/reading the PSRAM at a much slower speed.

(* the tester doesn't work on .zip or .rpk files.  I suggest [for "bigcart"] using the latest Bad Apple demo - which is quite large.)

@JasonACT

These are the various memory tests I've performed, the only one that seems to work right is the AMTEST program. I haven't tried any of your suggestions yet.

The PSRAM is this one:

Mouser #:

878-APS6404L-3SQR-SN

Mfr. #:

APS6404L-3SQR-SN

Desc.:

DRAM DRAM IoT RAM 64Mb QSPI (x1,x4) SDR 133/84MHz, RBX, 3V, Ind. Temp., SOP8

20240108_143715.jpg

20240108_151402.jpg

20240108_150816.jpg

20240108_151541.jpg

20240108_151549.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
additional content

@JasonACT I did try your suggestion with Jedimatt v1 memtest and this is the result

.You could try loading the memory test program, then eject the SD card, and then run it "alone" to see if your SD card was affecting things

I'm running these test programs from a FinalGrom99. The second is v2.2

.20240108_183242.thumb.jpg.289ae638528515d0a06978054d3f46fb.jpg

20240108_175216.thumb.jpg.d7a8c651e79c58083ba5467f2a9b1b9a.jpg

Edited by RickyDean

The second is v2.2

That's what I'm using too, but I've modified mine to display the 1st error detected - and when the PSRAM chip is overclocked, I often see something like you have shown in the image above with the blue screen (error: >F804 written, >F806 read).  I think it's merged an address bit due to the speed.  I don't have that tester with the blue screen though :(

Attached is a new fail-safe version, it runs at 256MHz (128MHz PSRAM speed).  Do you get less errors with that?

Oh, and this is a special build for visual status via the LED on power-up: 1 flash (short or long) = all good, 3 flashes = no SD card, 4 flashes = SD card present but no "Primary FAT32 Partition" found, 5 or more flashes = Everything seems OK, but the .ROM files were not found on the SD card.

PPEB2.ino.uf2.zip

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

That's what I'm using too, but I've modified mine to display the 1st error detected - and when the PSRAM chip is overclocked, I often see something like you have shown in the image above with the blue screen (error: >F804 written, >F806 read).  I think it's merged an address bit due to the speed.  I don't have that tester with the blue screen though :(

Attached is a new fail-safe version, it runs at 256MHz (128MHz PSRAM speed).  Do you get less errors with that?

Oh, and this is a special build for visual status via the LED on power-up: 1 flash (short or long) = all good, 3 flashes = no SD card, 4 flashes = SD card present but no "Primary FAT32 Partition" found, 5 or more flashes = Everything seems OK, but the .ROM files were not found on the SD card.

PPEB2.ino.uf2.zip 379.12 kB · 0 downloads

Jason, that seems to work in all of the 32k tests it passed, though in both the Jedimatt 32k tests, I only let it go through one pass, so I'll do more tomorrow if the weather lets me. We're supposed to have very bad weather coming in to possibly include tornados. Also the Blue screen test is the Corcomp Diagnostics which should be in the latest FG99 package, but if not I can upload the bin file for it here tomorrow again weather permitting, and it also passed with this code. I'm going to bed now, play with it more later if possible, Have a good evening.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, JasonACT said:

PPEB2.ino.uf2.zip 379.12 kB · 1 download

Well I got up and some 32k testing and here are the results, there is still an issue, not as pronounced but still there. In the ver 2.2 photos, it tested 0 -15 pages good, but failed on pages 16-23, if this gives a clue?

20240109_103140.jpg

20240109_103049.jpg

20240109_102953.jpg

20240109_102836.jpg

20240109_102726.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
added content