IGNORED

Pi Pico[W] Peripheral Expansion Box Side Port Device

JasonACT

15 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

No riser still failed with and w/ SD card.

Hmm, it's perplexing, that's for sure.

Here's another memory tester, the bench tester that does what the TI one does - this is fixed at 258MHz and tests the full 8MB - I know it's getting late for you, but if this one passes (5 second flash-on/flash-off at the end) then we can at least say the PSRAM is working, but something elsewhere isn't.

memtest2.ino.uf2.zip

4 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

without riser gives 1 long flash then after 5 seconds, another long flash with the SD card, same without SD card

Yeah, that's passing.  This is all 4 different tests the TI is doing, and doing them the same number of times except a fair bit faster than the TI can, the only other difference is I'm doing them over 64KB at a time where the TI is doing 8KB at a time.

If it was a bad byte somewhere (which this tester is meant to test) then it would read out the first bad 64KB segment in a coded series of flashes with a 5 second pause between repeating it.

I'm starting to think there's another problem somewhere.  I don't know where though, but at least you have socketed chips, so you could try switching around those, maybe also between the boards...  That did appear to alter the test screen shots previously, which really shouldn't have happened at all.

On 1/18/2024 at 5:06 PM, RickyDean said:

Well here is the picture of my results after programming this. I didn't do anything on this today as I did other things. I'll try changing this psram out tomorrow and very carefully solder one pin at a time, leaving some cooling time between to see if I'm killing it somehow.  Have a good evening, it's 1am my time.

20240118_010023.jpg

I can't explain how you managed to get a screen shot with what should have been FFFF showing up as 9E9E!

So, yes, it might be something else unrelated.  Maybe try another console, and have the 2.3 TI mem-tester loaded into my device instead of the FinalGROM?

• Like 1

Well I haven't tried to do anything else with the pico yet, because I wanted to get the memory issue resolved first. I'll have to read and see how the other stuff works. I haven't had a tipi yet that is hooked up, so I don't know how that works either. But I have been reading up some on the tipi and will see about getting this running without the final grom inserted.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 2

I just went in and replaced my TI with a brand new old stock one and am running the 2.3 test from the finalgrom. it has already made it further than before and is still testing. on the non riser one.

Just passed pages 48-55.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 1

Jason, It passed the test. The issue apparently has been a defect in the TI itself, probably something damaged when I lost my PEB, 4 weeks ago. The was the one without a riser. Testing the riser one now.

I'll build another in the next few days and try it without the mods and see what happens.

20240128_010016.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

@RickyDean - Champion!

Mind you, we did have a bunch of issues with the dodgy PSRAMs on the bench tester that excluded the TI - it was really good we got to the bottom of all that.

The one with a riser is still testing strong, waiting for it to finish too. The ESP chips may have been some of the problem, When I build another board I'll try the used APS6404L-3SQRs and see if they work too.

• Like 2

@JasonACTWell as a final trial today, I ran each board with your files, starting with the first on you posted till I got to one that didn't give errors. The board without risers, had to go all the way to the 7th file you posted before testing error free, and the one with the risers only needed to go to the 4th file posted, and it checked error free. Thanks for your help on these.

Just played the Don't Mess With Texas Demo, and now have FunnelWeb running, in DiskReview.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, RickyDean said:

@JasonACTWell as a final trial today, I ran each board with your files, starting with the first on you posted till I got to one that didn't give errors. The board without risers, had to go all the way to the 7th file you posted before testing error free, and the one with the risers only needed to go to the 4th file posted, and it checked error free. Thanks for your help on these.

Just played the Don't Mess With Texas Demo, and now have FunnelWeb running, in DiskReview.

You're welcome mate, with all these details recorded here it should be easy for others to follow should anyone want to.

I am still amazed at the variation each PSRAM chip seems to have when a dormant SD card is connected to it, but I guess they don't test for that at the end of the manufacturing process.

• Like 1

@RickyDean My seller agreed (but not in so many words) that the chips with a sanded top surface (he called them de-badged) were not what I had ordered and offered me a 4/5ths refund (I keep the chips, as sending them back costs too much).  I don't feel bad taking it either, those ones don't perform as intended, and required a work-around (along with some head-scratching).

Let me know how the new build goes, when you get around to it.

37 minutes ago, JasonACT said:

@RickyDean My seller agreed (but not in so many words) that the chips with a sanded top surface (he called them de-badged) were not what I had ordered and offered me a 4/5ths refund (I keep the chips, as sending them back costs too much).  I don't feel bad taking it either, those ones don't perform as intended, and required a work-around (along with some head-scratching).

Let me know how the new build goes, when you get around to it.

Yes I contacted Mouser, sent them pictures of the sanded chips and they are going to refund that money. Told me to scrap the chips. I'll still try and see if something can be salvaged from them. Maybe with your resistor mod, they'll work or at least a couple.

I'm using machine socket Sips this time as risers, and replaced the headers on this Pico with machined headers and am about 2/3rds done with the soldering, justy need to place the small components to include memory. It will be finished sometime tomorrow. Good nightor rather good evening ;)

• Like 2

I was super excited to build one of these... however, mine doesn't seem to be working.  Maybe it's something simple I am missing.

Here is what happens when I plug it in - I get one short flash of the LED, so the card thinks everything is ok.  I did pull out the SD card and tried to boot that way and it complained by blinking more times (I don't remember the exact number).  From TI BASIC the card does not respond to "CALL TIPI", from XB (via Finalgrom) "SIZE" does not show expansion ram.  When I run the modified JediMatt's RAM tester from this thread, it doesn't see any RAM.

tib-call-tipi-Copy.thumb.jpg.e00527fda8ffb9e49c1801b8d10f5d42.jpgtib-size-Copy.thumb.jpg.264528606f981312bba53b32b4e7b19c.jpgjm-memtest-Copy.thumb.jpg.9c2739feff4d6df80a3144ee149e2caa.jpg

So here is a photo of my board, I've edited and put some notes on it:

my-pico-peb-50pct-Copy.thumb.jpg.f54cf4ac2d29e60a596f7f57a55fac43.jpg

I am using APS PSRAM.  I purchased the PI Pico from Aliexpress - silkscreened on it are the words "RP2040 Pico W-2023" so it is a relatively recent version.  All other components were purchased from either DigiKey or Mouser, except the Pico PEB PCB and edge connector.

I did run the onboard RAM test firmware (memtest2.ino.uf2.zip), and got the expected LED long on and then long off.  Same result with the SD card and without.

On the SD card itself I have this:

sd-card.png.7de7f0a49a871e0e185c753c6290b996.png

I should mention I am using the 12ma firmware on the PI.  I did try the "32k only" firmware but same results.  I did try plugging a USB keyboard into the PI.  It is backlit and when plugged in the lights came on; however, I got no output on the TI when typing.

I do get 3.3 volts at Vcc on all of the chips on top and on the PSRAM.

I should note that an actual TI PEB works when plugged into this TI.

Next steps for me are probably trying the Pico PEB on another TI, and or building a second PI PICO.  I do dread doing another 470 ohm resistor bodge though. But maybe there's something obvious I missed?

Edited by chue
corrected pi pico name on pcb

31 minutes ago, chue said:

I was super excited to build one of these... however, mine doesn't seem to be working.  Maybe it's something simple I am missing.

Here is what happens when I plug it in - I get one short flash of the LED, so the card thinks everything is ok.  I did pull out the SD card and tried to boot that way and it complained by blinking more times (I don't remember the exact number).  From TI BASIC the card does not respond to "CALL TIPI", from XB (via Finalgrom) "SIZE" does not show expansion ram.  When I run the modified JediMatt's RAM tester from this thread, it doesn't see any RAM.

tib-call-tipi-Copy.thumb.jpg.e00527fda8ffb9e49c1801b8d10f5d42.jpgtib-size-Copy.thumb.jpg.264528606f981312bba53b32b4e7b19c.jpgjm-memtest-Copy.thumb.jpg.9c2739feff4d6df80a3144ee149e2caa.jpg

So here is a photo of my board, I've edited and put some notes on it:

my-pico-peb-50pct-Copy.thumb.jpg.f54cf4ac2d29e60a596f7f57a55fac43.jpg

I am using APS PSRAM.  I purchased the PI Pico from Aliexpress - silkscreened on it are the words "PI Pico W 2023" so it is a relatively recent version.  All other components were purchased from either DigiKey or Mouser, except the Pico PEB PCB and edge connector.

I did run the onboard RAM test firmware (memtest2.ino.uf2.zip), and got the expected LED long on and then long off.  Same result with the SD card and without.

On the SD card itself I have this:

sd-card.png.7de7f0a49a871e0e185c753c6290b996.png

I should mention I am using the 12ma firmware on the PI.  I did try the "32k only" firmware but same results.  I did try plugging a USB keyboard into the PI.  It is backlit and when plugged in the lights came on; however, I got no output on the TI when typing.

I do get 3.3 volts at Vcc on all of the chips on top and on the PSRAM.

I should note that an actual TI PEB works when plugged into this TI.

Next steps for me are probably trying the Pico PEB on another TI, and or building a second PI PICO.  I do dread doing another 470 ohm resistor bodge though. But maybe there's something obvious I missed?

Make sure you have the SDcard soldered correctly and that you are soldering the leg of the resistor to the proper leg of the SD card. Then make sure your solder is flowed good to all SD card connection points. Make sure you have that one line severed by the SD side of the resistor. Included are a couple of close up photos of my two working ones. I built a third but it is having issues, probably due to construction errors on my risers.

20240203_123852.jpg

20240203_123833.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
spelling

Yes I did cut the trace on the PCB that goes to the middle pin of the SD card.  I actually have the resistor connected to the trace near the SD card, and not the SD card pin.  I checked the resistance between the PSRAM clock pin and the SD card middle pin and it shows 460 ohms.

I do believe that the SD card socket is soldered ok since it behaves correctly when the SD card is inserted (one short led blink on startup) and also when there is no SD card (3 led blinks on startup).  I also removed the files on the SD card and then it blinks more than 3 times (either 4 or 5) times.