IGNORED

Atari Financial Report Haven't even opened it yet... time to pour a cup of coffee. $ALATA $PONGF

PowerDubs

17 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I think part of the sale going through was because Wade Rosen had significant stock in Night Dive.

Ding ding ding...  just like Wade moving in as a shareholder to Atari...before his takeover...

He has only been involved with Atari for coming up on 4 years...yet it is a book being written on how he operates... none of it is by accident...

Business is fun indeed.

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

I think part of the sale going through was because Wade Rosen had significant stock in Night Dive.

I don´t think so. Wade owned 13%, and it looks to me like the two founders of Nightdive owned the rest. I guess if nobody had a majority alone, then Wade would have had the deciding vote if the two others disagreed.

On 12/14/2023 at 9:24 PM, Lord Mushroom said:

Maybe I was too pessimistic about Nightdive´s future contributions, but the previous owners wouldn´t have sold it for $10-20 million if they expected it to make $2+ million per year.

I read an interview with the Nightdive boss, and he said their past projects (probably didn´t include the latest System Shock) as profitable. So Nightdive is currently the most promising part of Atari. I do think they will struggle more and more with profitability as they scale up, though.

Uh... Nightdive was independent prior to acquisition. Nobody "sold" them.

And given the studios they've worked with (bethesda, Atari, Embracer, etc.) and sales they've posted, I think they're probably a lot more valuable than what they sold for.

2 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

And given the studios they've worked with (bethesda, Atari, Embracer, etc.) and sales they've posted, I think they're probably a lot more valuable than what they sold for.

I'd question what exactly Nightdive studios actually is today beyond IP and a group of willing individuals on retainer. As far as I know, they no longer have an office anymore... and I'd suspect that they employees they do have probably work on several projects outside of Night Dive. I'm glad Atari bought them, but it's not like acquiring Accolade or MicroProse back in the day where you'd literally buy out a whole building of developers. 

1 hour ago, 82-T/A said:

I'd question what exactly Nightdive studios actually is today beyond IP and a group of willing individuals on retainers.

They've always been largely online devs. The group literally formed off of dudes in the Doom and retro-PC scene. Sam Vilarreal (the creator of the Kex engine) is also a Cacoward winner and used to post on Doomworld constantly. And that goes for most of the company as well.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Nightdive_Studios

So they've never really been this super formal and "organized" company. Just bedroom coders turned actual devs. And the same goes for sister studios like New Blood and modern 3D Realms. Their CEO more or less is just there to handle the legal shit.

As a long time lurker in the doom community including back in 2012/2013, it was cool to see them sort of rise out of nothing. I even remember the thread that eventually led to the creation of Strife: Veteran Edition, lol.

But this is also why having an ACTUAL AAA company to work with would be good for the studio IMO. Because while that lack of organization spurs a lot of creativity, it's also why stuff like System Shock took 7 years and 2 revamps to come out.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

So Nightdive was a foundation or something? I don´t think so:

"The contribution by Nightdive's founders and Wade Rosen3 of 1,912,500 common shares of Nightdive resulted in the issuance of 38,129,423 new Atari shares. As a result, Nightdive's founders together hold upon completion of the contribution 7.9% of Atari's share capital and 7.8% of its voting rights, while Wade Rosen holds upon completion of the contribution 27.7% of Atari's share capital and 27.5% of its voting rights4.

Nightdive's founders have agreed to a 6-month lock-up on their Atari shares as from the completion of the contribution5."

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2023/05/15/2668381/0/en/Atari-Closes-the-Acquisition-of-Nightdive-Studios.html

3 minutes ago, Lord Mushroom said:

So Nightdive was a foundation or something? I don´t think so:

"The contribution by Nightdive's founders and Wade Rosen3 of 1,912,500 common shares of Nightdive resulted in the issuance of 38,129,423 new Atari shares. As a result, Nightdive's founders together hold upon completion of the contribution 7.9% of Atari's share capital and 7.8% of its voting rights, while Wade Rosen holds upon completion of the contribution 27.7% of Atari's share capital and 27.5% of its voting rights4.

Nightdive's founders have agreed to a 6-month lock-up on their Atari shares as from the completion of the contribution5."

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2023/05/15/2668381/0/en/Atari-Closes-the-Acquisition-of-Nightdive-Studios.html

... none of that = they had a parent company.

You seem to be misunderstanding me. I didn't mean to imply they weren't publicly traded. They just weren't a subsidiary that got sold off like Digital Eclipse. 

18 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

They've always been largely online devs. The group literally formed off of dudes in the Doom and retro-PC scene. Sam Vilarreal (the creator of the Kex engine) is also a Cacoward winner and used to post on Doomworld constantly. And that goes for most of the company as well.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Nightdive_Studios

So they've never really been this super formal and "organized" company. Just bedroom coders turned actual devs. And the same goes for sister studios like New Blood and modern 3D Realms. Their CEO more or less is just there to handle the legal shit.

As a long time lurker in the doom community including back in 2012/2013, it was cool to see them sort of rise out of nothing. I even remember the thread that eventually led to the creation of Strife: Veteran Edition, lol.

But this is also why having an ACTUAL AAA company to work with would be good for the studio IMO. Because while that lack of organization spurs a lot of creativity, it's also why stuff like System Shock took 7 years and 2 revamps to come out.

Seems like a lot of game companies are that way today.

For about half of my career... I was a computer programmer. I programmed in everything from MUMPS, VB, Pascal, Delphi, C++, C#, Coldfusion, to everything else I could think of. But I'd always wanted to be a video game developer. I'm glad I was around back in 1997-1999 before the .COM bust. It really was a different time. Companies are very stuffy today, which I understand... but back in 1999 disco was really popular again (yeah, I know), and I worked for a small company that... even though they did market research, the place was crazy. It's where I met my (now) wife. But I can remember going into the office and there were lava lamps everywhere, bean bags... a blow up dinosaur with Mardi Gras beads all over him... the place was crazy. People would use drugs (I never used drugs)... but it was free-wheeling I suppose since like half the staff were having sex with each other. 

Kind of like what I imagine a lot of the video game shops were in the 80s and through the 90s. I don't imagine it's like that anymore... not that this is a bad thing, but the younger generation seems a bit more introverted and perhaps a bit more uptight. Anyway... I'd always wanted to be a video game developer... but found myself in everything from the medical field to writing software for a football team, to you name it. I haven't really programmed in almost 7 years... which is kind of sad (minus some quick stuff in order to meet a demand)... but I think that was something I'd always wanted to do and just never got around to it.

I was supporting the Starflight 3 project in the 90s... but it fell apart because they couldn't agree what platform to use... like Duke Nukem 3D, they kept wanting to develop to the latest technology and we kept scrapping everything we'd done.