IGNORED

New Atari VCS update

Thanone

A recent update, visually a new searchbar, and brightness settings, but when I attempt to boot into my m.2 it only shows 2 options: Atari OS Slot A,

and Atari OS Slot B. I've tried escape, delete, and f12. It shows the same things idk what happened or why its happening.

1 hour ago, Thanone said:

A recent update, visually a new searchbar, and brightness settings, but when I attempt to boot into my m.2 it only shows 2 options: Atari OS Slot A,

and Atari OS Slot B. I've tried escape, delete, and f12. It shows the same things idk what happened or why its happening.

Is this an Atari OS update on the VCS just as it sits... or is this an update to the "Atari VCS PC Mode USB" OS? I have the Atari PC Mode USB but haven't bothered to even boot with it yet.

fan issue is not an issue that's just how much you are using it, its common in every computer (unless you have the perfect computer) also back on to my original post I reinstalled atari os and that update is gone, plus every thing works again. This experience was queer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Druid said:

I applied the update hoping the zip code issue would be fixed so that I can purchase some games but now the fan seems to be throttling up and down since updating.  Just got my VCS yesterday, I have about had it with this thing

Fan throttling is perfectly normal for the VCS.  It should calm down with a bit of use.  However, if it becomes too much, there are some modifications that you can do to help prevent it.  If you get into the BIOS you can turn off core boost.  This should keep the fan from spooling up too much, but the CPU will run slower as a result.  Another, more invasive way to help it is to remove the thermal pad between the CPU and the heat sink and replace it with a drop of good quality thermal paste.  I would not do either of these mods unless you are experienced and tech savvy.  Both have the potential to "brick" the VCS if done incorrectly.

1 hour ago, Thanone said:

fan issue is not an issue that's just how much you are using it, its common in every computer (unless you have the perfect computer) also back on to my original post I reinstalled atari os and that update is gone, plus every thing works again. This experience was queer.

Glad yours is working good again.  Quirky and queer is the VCS experience.  Personally I like the machine, even with all it's warts.

I'd recommend putting reFind on a flash drive to use in case you run into Booting issues on the VCS (or any other PC)

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

This will find any bootable OS on your system and allow you to choose which one to boot into, and hopefully from there you'll be able to repair it.

On the VCS, you will need to disable "Secure Boot" in the BIOS if you haven't already.

13 hours ago, die said:

I have the same issue as Thanone.

I do like the time out option and option to pick default by hitting f1 if it works the way I hope it will. If I ever get to boot to my windows drive.

I fixed this by reflashing my atari vcs with one from march (I think???) of this year and its been working fine.

9 hours ago, Thanone said:

I fixed this by reflashing my atari vcs with one from march (I think???) of this year and its been working fine.

Ok pretending I'm a complete idiot how does one re flash a system.  Or does an idiot just pray atari fixes this?

Edited by die
Fat finger

2 hours ago, die said:

Ok pretending I'm a complete idiot how does one re flash a system.  Or does an idiot just pray atari fixes this?

I googled: "Atari VCS recovery image"

It was on these forums, but I didn't save the website and I can't remember which one it was.

8 minutes ago, Thanone said:

I googled: "Atari VCS recovery image"

It was on these forums, but I didn't save the website and I can't remember which one it was.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qOw4WkVODxT2SZcH3sTdO3G_n56QkW5b/view

Edited by Thanone
instead of passive aggressive instructions

2 hours ago, die said:

1. Download image file
  2. extract image file
  3. burn image to usb flash drive (balena etcher)
  4. Insert usb into Atari VCS
  5. Turn on Atari VCS
  6. Select reflash Atari os
  7. Wait for further on-screen instructions
Edited by Thanone