IGNORED

Question about the D-pad

Steel76

I found a used Jaguar a week ago.

It didn't come with a AV cable, so I tried using several RF cables, but none of them could produce a picture, on any of my TV:s (OLED, LCD & CRT), just a VERY weak signal, so I could make out a faint Atari Logo, in the static.

Ordered a RGB Scart cable, and decided for now, to just clean the console. Except for some dust around the cartridge port, it looked brand new inside. Same for the controller.

But to my question, does the D-pad on all the standard Jaguar controllers (grey button keys on mine) have such little travel, when you push down the directions?

Probably the most stiff pad I've ever used, as it feels like it won't be able to register directions very well.

I opened up the controller, and noticed the red pivot, under the d-pad. Is the screw attached to it, supposed to be tightened all the way, or should it be a bit loose?

Seems like you're supposed to be able to adjust it. But no matter what, the D-pad's still got very shallow travel, compared to other controllers.

Hope the RGB cable arrives soon, so I can finally test the controller.

Maybe this is just how it is, and it still registers well?

This will be my first time, using a Jaguar (never found one, back in the 90:s), so it's all new to me.

And sorry if this question has already been asked about a billion times before. 🥴

There are variants. The standard controller with the skinnier cable and black keypad buttons has a clicker d-pad in my experience. That's the one I use for Ultra Vortek, the fighting game, because I find it easier to pull off special moves with it. That said, one of my thick cord/grey keypad button controllers (like the one you described) has a mushy d-pad, not stiff at all. I assume it's just been well used over the years  And I actually like the feel of that one for most games. But I have yet another in that style that I bought new old stock from Best Electronics years ago, and it is really stiff feeling. So, Idk what the answer is, man. The d-pad will break in with usage though. But at the end of the day, Atari's quality control wasn't exactly legendary in those days. Haha