IGNORED

Is hot swapping really safe to do?

Jimz

New member here. Grew up with the original 2600. Just got my new 2600+ and love it. I know you are able to “hot swap” cartridges. I’ve done it a few times, but I just don’t feel comfortable doing it. Is this safe to do with this system? Like if one were to do it all the time? I can tolerate the load times fine, but if it doesn’t ruin anything, why isn’t it mentioned more that this can and maybe should be done? Just curious on what others do.

• Like 1

It's been talked about in another thread: 

I did try it several times. Personally, I now prefer to NOT hot-swap as I found that sometimes it didn't work and would seem to hang the system, so I'd need to power-off anyways. And then I feel there could be a small chance that hot-swapping could damage something or even 'brick' my 2600+.

Also, to me hot-swapping just doesn't quite feel right with this type of gaming console.

But when it comes down to it, it's a personal choice.

Edited by MysticSword
Fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never finished my electrical engineering degree, and went for a CompSCI instead, so I apologize if what I ask is dumb... but is there not a concern for power spikes or improperly distributed power resulting from a cart that's being pulled out or inserted with the power on? No chance it can damage the IC in the cart?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I never finished my electrical engineering degree, and went for a CompSCI instead, so I apologize if what I ask is dumb... but is there not a concern for power spikes or improperly distributed power resulting from a cart that's being pulled out or inserted with the power on? No chance it can damage the IC in the cart?

Well, I estimate that with my test machine with 2 visits to the archive to physically check 300 carts a time I must be nearing 1000 hotswaps!

Next time I talk to an engineer at the factory I'll ask though

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Well, I estimate that with my test machine with 2 visits to the archive to physically check 300 carts a time I must be nearing 1000 hotswaps!

Next time I talk to an engineer at the factory I'll ask though

Ben's avatar should be changed to an upside down pineapple after all that swapping.

and if you get that joke, my condolences.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

It's a feature, and I rarely have any problem at all with it.  Actually the few problems really have nothing to do with hot swapping and more to do with problem carts (ahem, Activision) that are finicky to load anyway.

Right and because of those problem carts I started hot swapping. If certain Activision carts like Enduro won't start I lift it a bit and it loads 😀

If I switch working Enduro off and on, it often fails to load and I have to reseat it via hot swap again.

Hot swapping saved me a day or two which is really something if you are 50+ 😉

• Haha 4