IGNORED

Space Invaders Double Shot trick works on Atari 2600+

ChopperCommando

I searched the forum already and didn't see that anyone had mentioned this, so apologies if I missed it.

The double shot trick for Space Invaders works on the 2600+ but there is a twist.  You have to turn the console on first, wait till the Atari logo pops up, then hold down the reset switch.  When the game comes on the screen you can let go of the reset switch and you'll have the double shot.  I tried it the "original" way and the system just never even booted up; I couldn't even get the Atari logo to come onscreen, so when doing this trick make sure you turn the system on first and wait for the logo before holding down the reset switch.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, ChopperCommando said:

I searched the forum already and didn't see that anyone had mentioned this, so apologies if I missed it.

The double shot trick for Space Invaders works on the 2600+ but there is a twist.  You have to turn the console on first, wait till the Atari logo pops up, then hold down the reset switch.  When the game comes on the screen you can let go of the reset switch and you'll have the double shot.  I tried it the "original" way and the system just never even booted up; I couldn't even get the Atari logo to come onscreen, so when doing this trick make sure you turn the system on first and wait for the logo before holding down the reset switch.

You win the internet for me today, what a post!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ChopperCommando said:

This is interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

Never knew about this lol. 

I'm not the biggest fan of SI on 2600 anyway tho. 

The one, most "iconic" invader from the arcade isn't even represented.

Instead we got a pe pawn shaped ship and what looks to be mutant calamari invaders. 

I've yet to find a "good enough" Namco style port that I can be happy with. Space Invaders Deluxe was close 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tradyblix said:

The one, most "iconic" invader from the arcade isn't even represented.

Instead we got a pe pawn shaped ship and what looks to be mutant calamari invaders. 

I've yet to find a "good enough" Namco style port that I can be happy with. Space Invaders Deluxe was close 

I mean, Galaxians' default rom also looks off, but again there's fan hacks that fix it and also get rid of the weird yellow boarder they added.

Always was funny to me how the visuals were so different from the arcade versions, yet gameplay-wise they're some of the best conversions on the 2600. It's like if Atari Pac-Man looked the way it does but still played like Pac-Man 4K/8K. It's hard to complain about, but still feels weird.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

12 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I'm not the biggest fan of SI on 2600 anyway tho. 

The war between Galaxian and Space Invaders in the Shmup fandom rages on to this day.

Though at least we can all agree that Galaga is objectively better than either of them (or at least Vanilla Space Invaders, Return onwards it gets more complicated).

Or you could play Gorf and have both of them in 1 game. I remember showing my brother Gorf on the 2600+ last weekend, and he said it was like a game for people with ADD. And I can't disagree because that's why I love it.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

On 12/15/2023 at 12:03 AM, tradyblix said:

You mean Taito?

You might be out of luck if you want an arcade-accurate Space Invaders port for Atari, but you might like Avenger for the Commodore VIC-20 and Commodore 64. It's one of the more faithful ports/clones from the early '80s that comes to mind, although I think it plays a little faster. The Famicom port of Space Invaders is very close, too, although it does that Nintendo thing where the score and stage info are on the right side of the screen. (Some people are fussy about that kind of thing.) 

13 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

You mean Taito?

You might be out of luck if you want an arcade-accurate Space Invaders port for Atari, but you might like Avenger for the Commodore VIC-20 and Commodore 64. It's one of the more faithful ports/clones from the early '80s that comes to mind, although I think it plays a little faster. The Famicom port of Space Invaders is very close, too, although it does that Nintendo thing where the score and stage info are on the right side of the screen. (Some people are fussy about that kind of thing.) 

I hope my Space Invader 7800 homebrew will work after the update, it looks like arcade🤙

20231218_181008.jpg

• Like 1

I recently discovered the double shot trick a few weeks ago on the 2600+ when I noticed the flicker/disappearing bullet on my 60hz monitors. It made playing a bit more tolerable. (there are other games that have this type of reset button hack, check https://www.ataricompendium.com/ for a compressive list different hacks) 

but Galaga 7800 is a go to now for shooting space bugs.

15 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

You mean Taito?

Doh. yes I mean Taito.

I just want something for the 2600 plus that is close to that. so it could be the gentleman above me's 7800 game. but I don't have it or know where to get a copy at this point.

There is also space instigators that I used to have but lost

I have been itching to play it so I'm just going to go try to find a copy of the 2600 version. Gorf ain't going to cut it LOL. I got to find Phoenix too I'm trying to find these locally without spending any more money on getting things shipped

Edited by tradyblix

22 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Doh. yes I mean Taito.

I just want something for the 2600 plus that is close to that. so it could be the gentleman above me's 7800 game. but I don't have it or know where to get a copy at this point.

There is also space instigators that I used to have but lost

I have been itching to play it so I'm just going to go try to find a copy of the 2600 version. Gorf ain't going to cut it LOL. I got to find Phoenix too I'm trying to find these locally without spending any more money on getting things shipped

Taito and Namco games are gonna be a bitch to get from a collectors perspective (believe me, I looked).

Not that' they're ACTUALLY rare, but thanks to the retro-bubble that we're still coming down from, high-profile games are overpriced AF despite being extremely common.

If you have a switch or PS4, you could always get the Space Invaders Invincible Collection. especially since there are games on that that imo are way more fun from a modern-perspective than the OG (no shade thrown, I still love it, but SSI/Majestic 12 is WAY better). It's also the only way you can play Arkanoid vs Space Invaders now with all of the F2P garbage removed.

Honestly, there are about as many ways to play Space Invaders as their are to play Doom. Probably more.

If it wasn't obvious, I'm kind of a nerd for Taito.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 12:17 PM, ChopperCommando said:

I tried doing the trick on my 2600+ but I did it the original way like you did.  I was wondering if perhaps something was wrong.  Because I encountered the same issue with the console not booting up.  But after reading your post again now I know what to do.  Thanks.