IGNORED

How often are games failing to load?

superchooch

I’m loving my 2600+ so far, however I am noticing that games fail to load for me on a somewhat frequent basis.  Doesn’t seem to be tied to any particular game and it seems to happen with original cartridges as well as new ones like Mr. Run and Jump. I’m trying to figure out if this is the experience that everyone is having, or if it is just my console? 

I've found that a significant percentage of my old carts that worked okay with my old 2600s will fail the first time or two I try them in the 2600+. 

Sometimes the carts will start working fine after a couple of inserts, yet other times they need a thorough cleaning of the contacts. 

However, I've found that once they do start working, they're generally fine after that.

My theory is that the Plus is less tolerant of any mild oxidation on the contacts, but once the contacts are scraped clean with an insert, or cleaned with a cotton swab, the carts connect fine.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ls650 said:

I've found that a significant percentage of my old carts that worked okay with my old 2600s will fail the first time or two I try them in the 2600+. 

Sometimes the carts will start working fine after a couple of inserts, yet other times they need a thorough cleaning of the contacts. 

However, I've found that once they do start working, they're generally fine after that.

My theory is that the Plus is less tolerant of any mild oxidation on the contacts, but once the contacts are scraped clean with an insert, or cleaned with a cotton swab, the carts connect fine.

Pretty much my thoughts.  Also it tends to be the same carts that remain problematic, so it isn't just the unit itself behaving erratically.

I have a silver label Centipede that seemed fine at first.  But after a few days it just started launching to a grey screen with artifacts and static noise maybe 3 out of 4 times.  Tried cleaning contacts, and may need to again, but not sure if that cart is just failing somehow.

• Like 2

Yes, cleaning helps a lot but I got used to use hot swap to reseat carts.

Some are tricky all the time, some never work but run fine on real HW and run on some 2600+ but I have copy causing trouble, like my Juno First which is not old and in clean good shape.

It is not just dirt...

The 7800 carts sit very tight and if they work, they work. Some 2600 carts like Enduro you have to move a bit in the slot when Loading fails. Sometimes after powering down even a working 2600  cart still in the slot needs a reseat.

Well, I got used to it and don't care but if one is not a nerd he might get frustrated.

• Like 1

Heh, I've gotten carts that say they're clean and tested and I still get dust and crap off with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. This is especially bad with Ebay sellers. They'll clean them, test them, photograph them, then let them sit and collect dust until someone buys them.

Like the others, I've had plenty of failures to load. Usually, another round of cleaning gets them going, though sometimes just reinserting them a few times does the trick. But, with 67 cartridges tested on my system, I've had no flat out failures, just plenty that needed some persuasion. I've noticed with 7800 games that the boards are coarser and they'll hang onto bits of Q-tip more so than 2600 games will. If I don't get all of that out, it can prevent them from making proper contact.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tradyblix said:

In fact, the controller issues and lack of 7800 controller at launch are worse problems, IMO. 

Yeah, that one's a bigger problem for sure. My Asteroids 7800 cartridge loaded just fine after I got it all cleaned up, ("cleaned and tested" from an Ebay seller) but I can't play the game with the CX40+ controller. The button isn't fire, which also starts a game, so it must be hyperspace. That's a problem. I was hoping, after initial announcements were out and we couldn't see pics of the front of the controller, that the "plus" in CX40+ meant they added a second button, maybe to the front like on the VCS classic joystick, that would allow it to be used for two button 7800 games. But, unfortunately, that's not the case. I actually had a dream last night that I was in a used game store and they had 7800 controllers, but the store closed before I could get one. Still so far away...

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scifidude79 said:

Yeah, that one's a bigger problem for sure. My Asteroids 7800 cartridge loaded just fine after I got it all cleaned up, ("cleaned and tested" from an Ebay seller) but I can't play the game with the CX40+ controller. The button isn't fire, which also starts a game, so it must be hyperspace. That's a problem. I was hoping, after initial announcements were out and we couldn't see pics of the front of the controller, that the "plus" in CX40+ meant they added a second button, maybe to the front like on the VCS classic joystick, that would allow it to be used for two button 7800 games. But, unfortunately, that's not the case. I actually had a dream last night that I was in a used game store and they had 7800 controllers, but the store closed before I could get one. Still so far away...

Yeah there's about 3 7800 games I can't play atm due to this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tradyblix said:

Yeah there's about 3 7800 games I can't play atm due to this. 

I was going down the rabbit hole of looking at 7800 controllers on Ebay a little while ago. I saw a listing with a "complete" 7800, but it had two CX40 joysticks with it. I'm guessing someone doesn't remember what controllers went with it, or they figure since they fit they'll just replace their damaged or missing 7800 joysticks with 2600 ones. But, they're setting whoever buys that console up for failure.

7 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I was going down the rabbit hole of looking at 7800 controllers on Ebay a little while ago. I saw a listing with a "complete" 7800, but it had two CX40 joysticks with it. I'm guessing someone doesn't remember what controllers went with it, or they figure since they fit they'll just replace their damaged or missing 7800 joysticks with 2600 ones. But, they're setting whoever buys that console up for failure.

I can't stand the pro-line controller anyway. 

The fact is, Nintendo perfected the controller, since then, that is the minimum bar (unless you use an arcade stick setup, which is different. There's some nice ones for sale on here I noticed). So I'm not going back to using old, pre-1986, substandard controllers. Or paying high fees for a CX78 in god knows what condition.  I just have to wait another couple weeks to get a custom controller for 7800 shipped to me. 

Until then I make do with my Hyperkin Ranger. I can do dual stick with 2 of them in Robotron, I should make a little rig for it. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Do you mean this:

IMG_0432_daf659d0-2384-4747-af1f-ecd4d78981ba_2048x2048.jpg?v=1680284116

I have one, it works great on the 2600+.

Funny enough, I tried to buy one of these a few weeks ago and the guy told me people were reporting to him that it doesn't work on 2600+.  Which I had already heard otherwise and didn't know how that could be possible anyway, but at the time I went ahead and let him cancel my order.  There is a certain thin veneer of some misinformation about this console floating around out there, although some of it probably goes back to some of the bugs that will be fixed in firmware.  I don't know why anybody would say this controller wasn't working, unless what they were really referring to was either the reversed buttons or other completely different controllers that ACTUALLY don't work.  People are kinda dumb.

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Funny enough, I tried to buy one of these a few weeks ago and the guy told me people were reporting to him that it doesn't work on 2600+.  Which I had already heard otherwise and didn't know how that could be possible anyway, but at the time I went ahead and let him cancel my order.  There is a certain thin veneer of some misinformation about this console floating around out there, although some of it probably goes back to some of the bugs that will be fixed in firmware.  I don't know why anybody would say this controller wasn't working, unless what they were really referring to was either the reversed buttons or other completely different controllers that ACTUALLY don't work.  People are kinda dumb.

The controller has to be plugged in, then you turn the console on.  Otherwise it won't work.  That's what I heard.  So, I plugged in the controller first then turned the console on.  It's a good controller.  I used it on Berzerk enhanced and it played fine.  Both buttons fire even though you only need one button for Berzerk.  Also, I like the thumbstick on the D-pad.  It's nice to have that.  You can remove it if you want.

Edited by Intellivision Master

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I can't stand the pro-line controller anyway. 

The fact is, Nintendo perfected the controller, since then, that is the minimum bar (unless you use an arcade stick setup, which is different. There's some nice ones for sale on here I noticed). So I'm not going back to using old, pre-1986, substandard controllers. Or paying high fees for a CX78 in god knows what condition.  I just have to wait another couple weeks to get a custom controller for 7800 shipped to me. 

Until then I make do with my Hyperkin Ranger. I can do dual stick with 2 of them in Robotron, I should make a little rig for it. 

Or use the Mega7800 adapter and 8bitdo Genesis receiver (with power to its usb port).

You can connect a lot of pads or joysticks.

I play 7800 games with an arcade stick or a Dualsense via Mega7800/8bito.

The classic Unijoysticle2 (C64 version fails, Atari and Amiga version will at least not give you A/B buttons) lets me play Robotron twinstick with a dualsense and any single button game.

It does not provide A/B buttons like the Mega7800 but to have the second joystick on right analogue stick is great for Stargate, Radar Lock, Spy Hunter,...

Havn't tried to use two Mega7800 together (power issue?)

20231215_173425.jpg

20231207_162815.jpg

20231215_173516.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Works fine. It's what I use on my 2600+. Awesome controller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I literally just had a conversation with him and he tried to cancel my order because he misunderstood me about this so yeah don't tell him LOL.

He's actually got a wood veneer prototype one that looks pretty cool although I kind of like the blackout ones a lot as well

Edited by tradyblix

15 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

Yes, that's exactly the one. They have two different designs and I like that one better. I love the NES style controller with the black and white Atari theme.

I personaly prefer the other design to this. It doesn't have the atari logo (illegal lol) but it is cleaner, it doesn't have the ghetto looking square cut outs everywhere. 

But both of these are nothing compared to the wood veneer one which isn't available yet. That has red buttons and wood panel to match the 2600+

Atari was late to the game to this, they could have made more money redeveloping a CX78+ and selling it right now, whoopsie. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I personaly prefer the other design to this. It doesn't have the atari logo (illegal lol) but it is cleaner, it doesn't have the ghetto looking square cut outs everywhere. 

But both of these are nothing compared to the wood veneer one which isn't available yet. That has red buttons and wood panel to match the 2600+

Atari was late to the game to this, they could have made more money redeveloping a CX78+ and selling it right now, whoopsie. 

I have purposely only bought one pad, I'm hoping that Atari release either a new pad, or better still, a pad and 7800 multi cart bundle. Either way I'll then have two pads. Let's see what happens. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2