IGNORED

New 2600+ Arrived Broken

Clayticus

As the title says, my 2600+ arrived broken. No damage to the shipping box, any of the games that I ordered, or the console's box. It's obvious that the person packaging everything dropped it on the corner and then packaged it up. I received it last Monday (12/11) and immediately contacted customer service. I received an automated email with a support ticket number, a link to a customer support log in, and a promise that I would be contacted by a customer support agent within 1-2 business days. It has now been over a week without hearing from anyone. The customer support log in link they sent in the email is broken and forwards me to the main Atari website. I've received a response from whoever monitors their social media replying to my Facebook messenger plea but they only say the customer service is "busier than usual". This was supposed to be a Christmas gift for me and my family. This is my first Atari purchase. I love the games, I love the console, but this experience is wearing on me. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. 
PXL_20231211_172808263_MP.jpg.f080b46daec92aacf2f8ce55626a4f9d.jpgPXL_20231211_172758293.jpg.14fe14e8ebaf5f6f4fe9d3cecb3867fd.jpg
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, Clayticus said:
As the title says, my 2600+ arrived broken. No damage to the shipping box, any of the games that I ordered, or the console's box. It's obvious that the person packaging everything dropped it on the corner and then packaged it up. I received it last Monday (12/11) and immediately contacted customer service. I received an automated email with a support ticket number, a link to a customer support log in, and a promise that I would be contacted by a customer support agent within 1-2 business days. It has now been over a week without hearing from anyone. The customer support log in link they sent in the email is broken and forwards me to the main Atari website. I've received a response from whoever monitors their social media replying to my Facebook messenger plea but they only say the customer service is "busier than usual". This was supposed to be a Christmas gift for me and my family. This is my first Atari purchase. I love the games, I love the console, but this experience is wearing on me. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. 
PXL_20231211_172808263_MP.jpg.f080b46daec92aacf2f8ce55626a4f9d.jpgPXL_20231211_172758293.jpg.14fe14e8ebaf5f6f4fe9d3cecb3867fd.jpg

I smell bullshit.

Dude's first post here ever, came directly to the correct sub-sub-sub forum, to complain about a chip in a product that CLEARLY looks like he dropped it.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I smell bullshit.

Dude's first post here ever, came directly to the correct sub-sub-sub forum, to complain about a chip in a product that CLEARLY looks like he dropped it.

Yes, it's my first post. I hope I'm not penalized for going to the right place. I've been watching John Hancock's channel for years and he always talked up AtariAge. Yes, I set up a profile primarily to ask for help, but I've been using AtariAge for info for years. Outside of saying "I promise", "I swear", etc. I'm not sure what else to tell you. I hope you can understand my frustration when I spent months waiting for this thing and I opened up a perfectly mint box to find a broken console. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Clayticus said:

Yes, it's my first post. I hope I'm not penalized for going to the right place. I've been watching John Hancock's channel for years and he always talked up AtariAge. Yes, I set up a profile primarily to ask for help, but I've been using AtariAge for info for years. Outside of saying "I promise", "I swear", etc. I'm not sure what else to tell you. I hope you can understand my frustration when I spent months waiting for this thing and I opened up a perfectly mint box to find a broken console. 

Yes, it's possible to join a forum to ask for help in the right spot with your first post and have no motive other than asking help for a problem you're having. My first post was in the Atari VCS sub forum in the thread about the zip code error, which I and many others have been experiencing. This is possible because I know how to navigate forums and find the right spot. Plus, a web search about that issue brought me to that topic. I've also received products that were clearly broken at the factory before. It sucks, but unfortunately these things do happen. So, I can definitely understand your frustration. However, I believe @Ben from Plaion will definitely sort this out for you. He just took care of another user having an issue with a defective 2600+.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Clayticus said:

Dont worry about it, I've replied to your DM with an easy as chips solution. I've got the replacement back panel in my hands right now. I'll sort it out no probs. Just DM me back.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

No plastic these days should shatter like that

You drop the right product in the wrong way on the wrong surface and the most seemingly indestructible surface can surprise you and shatter!!!

Maybe not for you, but for my wife...  She has a talent for that...

2nd to last phone she had, she dropped from about 10 inches high...  Cracked the glass.  (She'd had it for a day, screen protector was on order and would show up in a couple of days... <sigh>).

New phone she just got, this time I made sure the screen protector was installed right away.

Two days later, she mentions she's glad I got a 4 pack of screen protectors, because she dropped her phone and the screen protector is cracked.

(To be fair to her, not everything she drops breaks!!!  ;-)   And I don't think she dropped her previous phone after she dropped it and cracked the glass...)

• Like 2

Plastics used to make hard case items like this aren't typically made to be bendy. Since game consoles usually sit, there's not call to make the cases overly rugged. Moreover, if you make them bendy they won't feel right to people and they'll claim that Plaion used cheap quality plastic, even though they didn't. And it's not like this is unique to the 2600+. I watched a video on YouTube earlier from a guy who buys a lot of used consoles from places like Goodwill. He had a PS4 Slim that had clearly been dropped and parts of the casing had shattered. It's just the nature of these harder plastics to be more brittle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

Plastics used to make hard case items like this aren't typically made to be bendy. Since game consoles usually sit, there's not call to make the cases overly rugged. Moreover, if you make them bendy they won't feel right to people and they'll claim that Plaion used cheap quality plastic, even though they didn't. And it's not like this is unique to the 2600+. I watched a video on YouTube earlier from a guy who buys a lot of used consoles from places like Goodwill. He had a PS4 Slim that had clearly been dropped and parts of the casing had shattered. It's just the nature of these harder plastics to be more brittle.

To clarify, I wasn't saying it was necessarily a bad thing. Just explaining what I assumed CPUWIZ meant.

And yeah, hard plastics aren't necessarily a sign of poor quality or anything (most of the time). Which one you go with is more of a case-by-case basis, and most manufacturers aren't making their consoles with the expectation that they'll be subject to significant external forces.

Outside of heat warping the plastic, I can't recall the last time I saw someone take a hammer to a console and it flexed rather than shattered.

Whatever you guys want to believe, I have cats and plenty of equipment housed in plastic, cameras, routers, blah blah and many have fallen.  We just had a magnitude 6 earthquake this year, guess what happens during that.  Aside from an old 7800 shell, that fell from a high shelving unit, nothing shattered like that.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 4:26 PM, Clayticus said:

Totally random, I know... but I see you're from Richmond, VA. I used to live there when I was a kid in the mid-1980s. I loved Richmond. There was a science museum built from an old train station... I think it's now called the Virginia Science Museum, but that place was awesome back then. So many cool things to do... definitely miss that place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Whatever you guys want to believe, I have cats and plenty of equipment housed in plastic, cameras, routers, blah blah and many have fallen.  We just had a magnitude 6 earthquake this year, guess what happens during that.  Aside from an old 7800 shell, that fell from a high shelving unit, nothing shattered like that.

And I've seen ceramic dishes fall from 4-6 feet. One lands on its bottom and is fine, the other lands on its edge and shatters into a lot of pieces. But, whatever. I've got no stake in this and it's not worth arguing over. Either way, this person's console is broken and Ben is going to make it right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scifidude79 said:

And I've seen ceramic dishes fall from 4-6 feet. One lands on its bottom and is fine, the other lands on its edge and shatters into a lot of pieces. But, whatever. I've got no stake in this and it's not worth arguing over. Either way, this person's console is broken and Ben is going to make it right.

I lived in an old house where objects flew horizontally from across the room, all by themselves. I was sure it might have been rats, or perhaps a breeze.

First thing I thought though is what these products were made of, just didn't make any sense.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I lived in an old house where objects flew horizontally from across the room, all by themselves. I was sure it might have been rats, or perhaps a breeze.

First thing I thought though is what these products were made of, just didn't make any sense.

I'm just one of those s*** happens kind of people. Things are going to break. Could it have been made of stronger plastic? Probably. And it still might have broken. The broken PS4 I saw in the video I watched last night was broken in a spot with some very thick plastic, yet it clearly took a drop onto the corner of its case and a whole chunk was missing and there were some other breaks. By comparison, the part that broke on the 2600+ that @Clayticus got is very thin and the 2600+ actually sustained less damage than the PS4. Of course, I also don't know the distance each object fell, the weight, physics stuff, etc. (I'm not a scientist)

I'm just always glad to see a company that's willing to make it right when things like this happen out of the box.

2 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

Porcelain is very strong. That's why it was such an attractive export from China.

In that instance the distribution of force was smaller and more focused so the impact had a greater effect. Same reason they used to tell paratroopers to spread out their bodies if their chute failed.

🤓 

7 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Okay.  I've dropped things plastic things from the 1960s and not had them shatter, either.  I don't understand what this has to do with anything.

When you say no plastic should shatter these days, what does that mean?  Are you referring to a particular innovation in the production of plastic that wasn't previously available, or are you just asserting a standard?

3 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

In that instance the distribution of force was smaller and more focused so the impact had a greater effect.

That was basically my point. It's all about angles of impact.

3 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Same reason they used to tell paratroopers to spread out their bodies if their chute failed.

🤓

I'm a former paratrooper. Nobody ever told me that.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Okay.  I've dropped things plastic things from the 1960s and not had them shatter, either.  I don't understand what this has to do with anything.

When you say no plastic should shatter these days, what does that mean?  Are you referring to a particular innovation in the production of plastic that wasn't previously available, or are you just asserting a standard?

Yes, my standard, don't give a shit about anyone else.

I'm just waiting for the conspiracy nuts to come out with crazy theories about China and planned obsolescence. 😂

• Haha 4