IGNORED

Anybody else here find it really curious that...

John Stamos Mullet

6 hours ago, ukaskew said:

The official compatibility list is misleading as it stands, so digging around is required, that digging led me here.

I love my 2600+... but I do think it is odd that Atari didn't include any kind of disclaimer on their compatibility list, stating that compatibility couldn't be guaranteed for any and all cartridges.  Many of these carts are 40+ years old; it shouldn't be surprising that some will just not work for various reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ls650 said:

I love my 2600+... but I do think it is odd that Atari didn't include any kind of disclaimer on their compatibility list, stating that compatibility couldn't be guaranteed for any and all cartridges.  Many of these carts are 40+ years old; it shouldn't be surprising that some will just not work for various reasons.

It says on the order page on Atari.com that it works with most cartridges. Technically, that's a disclaimer. What cartridges are you having issues with?

1 hour ago, scifidude79 said:

It says on the order page on Atari.com that it works with most cartridges. Technically, that's a disclaimer. What cartridges are you having issues with?

I was responding to ukaskew:

I'm a first time poster. Opened 2600+ on Christmas Day, tried my (PAL) 7800 carts and my heart sank as the first three didn't work, two of which were ok on the compatibility list and all working fine on my 7800.

On 12/25/2023 at 10:11 PM, Warboss Gegguz said:

Yeah, early zoomers got to grow up in the era where non-redemption game arcades weren't entirely dead yet, and again things like Namco Museum, Activision Collection, Intelevison lives, Konami Arcade Hits, Midway Treasures, etc. kept retro games accessible.

The only bummer to me (as a D&D nerd) is that none of the official D&D RPGs for the intelevison could be included in Intelevision lives. Literally the only reason I have a copy of jzInTv.

And yeah, I recently got my dad a copy of Atari 50 for christmas as a stop-gap until the dev team/batari/hackers get flash-carts working properly on the 2600+, which is especially good since it means he (and i) can play the proper arcade games instead of conversions + a ton of crap that's excusive to the other Atari systems.

I remember both styles of arcade games, though Skee Ball was the only one I recall being a ticket game at least in my local arcades.  And I loved the AD+D games on my original Intellivision, especially since few of my friends played the real thing.  

On 12/19/2023 at 9:02 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Within a couple of weeks of the 2600+ being released - a suspiciously large number of "new" users signed up here at atariage.com

I've used the Atari Age forums off and on for quite a while, but the Atari 2600+ brought me back. Regarding NEW users, the Atari 2600+ got kind of ridiculously great mainstream coverage. Like, everybody wrote articles about it. It makes total sense that a lot of new users would be drawn in...and since the device is not perfect of course they might have complaints.

From my collection of a few dozen games, everything has worked except Donkey Kong Jr. (and the keypad in Star Raiders doesn't work, so I didn't even try that)

Edited by Glorkbot
  • Like 2

I’ve been an Atari Age lurker for a long time but the 2600+ is really what got me to register on the forum. Especially because of the firmware update in progress. 

I'm pretty happy with mine so far and have not had any issues to speak of. My cart collection is just shy of 200 including 7800 games. I’ve not tested all of them yet, but I went through them all about a year ago and did a deep clean so what I have played so far has been working from the first try. 

i’m not surprised that a lot of us have decided to step out from the shadows. The 2600+ is a great console and Atari has been making some big moves lately that I hope improves their relevance in the future. (Would love to see Activision jump on the current momentum and resurrect their 2600/7800 library in some way. Maybe an Atari 50 like collection for the major consoles, who knows). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeM_ said:

I’ve been an Atari Age lurker for a long time but the 2600+ is really what got me to register on the forum. Especially because of the firmware update in progress. 

I'm pretty happy with mine so far and have not had any issues to speak of. My cart collection is just shy of 200 including 7800 games. I’ve not tested all of them yet, but I went through them all about a year ago and did a deep clean so what I have played so far has been working from the first try. 

i’m not surprised that a lot of us have decided to step out from the shadows. The 2600+ is a great console and Atari has been making some big moves lately that I hope improves their relevance in the future. (Would love to see Activision jump on the current momentum and resurrect their 2600/7800 library in some way. Maybe an Atari 50 like collection for the major consoles, who knows). 

Write to your Activision rep!

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 2

On 1/2/2024 at 10:13 PM, Glorkbot said:

I've used the Atari Age forums off and on for quite a while, but the Atari 2600+ brought me back. Regarding NEW users, the Atari 2600+ got kind of ridiculously great mainstream coverage. Like, everybody wrote articles about it. It makes total sense that a lot of new users would be drawn in...and since the device is not perfect of course they might have complaints.

From my collection of a few dozen games, everything has worked except Donkey Kong Jr. (and the keypad in Star Raiders doesn't work, so I didn't even try that)

Good stuff!

I have a Coleco Donkey Kong Jr cart revision 3 pcb going over to the developer to fix .

Video Key pad I still dont know if it can work.

I see the 2600+ as "Atari gettin' their groove back" & while I don't own the 2600+ (Money issues, but I plan on getting one soon), The fact they released an official console in the 9th Generation that plays actual old game cartridges is wild to me & I LOVE IT! :love: Screw the Haters!

Edited by ZippyOasys
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:02 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Within a couple of weeks of the 2600+ being released - a suspiciously large number of "new" users signed up here at atariage.com, and coincidentally ALL of them are complaining about the 2600+ in one way or another, constantly, all day long, derailing nearly every thread in this sub forum with their petty personal complaints?

It's almost like a certain group of people PLANNED to do this.

@John Stamos Mullet  Sir, I don't know who you are.  First impressions count for something in life, don't they?  The first thing that I notice about you is that your avatar is an animated GIF of a person making an obscene gesture with the hands.

image.png.5e2351ae0bba2931fcfff2a2f4fd80a8.png

Some people would consider this to be offensive and off-putting.  

The fact that you choose to present such an offensive and off-putting image of yourself makes it difficult for me to take your complaints about other's behavior in these forums seriously.  

But to discuss the topic for anyone here who isn't striving to be offensive and off-putting, no, I haven't noticed any such thing in these forums.  All of the discussion about the 2600+ that I have seen so far have been respectful.  People will have different opinions, of course.  But respectful debate was all I had seen so far in these forums about the 2600+.

Personally, I'm a ROM/emulator guy.  I personally expect pretty much every device in my home to either be wifi ready or it have an SD card or some way to connect to the "world around us."  I for one definitely don't want a pile of cartridges anymore like I had back in the day.  I love the enthusiasm about the 2600+ and all the retro vibes (simulated wood grain finish, etc.) and all, but no, a console without an SD card for me is not in my serious consideration.  The Retron 77, the various Atari Flashback consoles  (which you can side load games onto via USB port), the VCS-PC and the Gamestation Pro are the only consoles that would be in my serious consideration if I were ever to shop for an Atari 2600 console right now.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

The fact that you choose to present such an offensive and off-putting image of yourself makes it difficult for me to take your complaints about other's behavior in these forums seriously.  

Personally, I'm a ROM/emulator guy...

Says the dirty, dirty pirate.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@John Stamos Mullet  Sir, I don't know who you are.  First impressions count for something in life, don't they?  The first thing that I notice about you is that your avatar is an animated GIF of a person making an obscene gesture with the hands.

image.png.5e2351ae0bba2931fcfff2a2f4fd80a8.png

Some people would consider this to be offensive and off-putting.  

But to discuss the topic for anyone here who isn't striving to be offensive and off-putting, no, I haven't noticed any such thing in these forums.  All of the discussion about the 2600+ that I have seen so far have been respectful.  People will have different opinions, of course.  But respectful debate was all I had seen so far in these forums about the 2600+.

Personally, I'm a ROM/emulator guy.  I personally expect pretty much every device in my home to either be wifi ready or it have an SD card or some way to connect to the "world around us."  I for one definitely don't want a pile of cartridges anymore like I had back in the day.  I love the enthusiasm about the 2600+ and all the retro vibes (simulated wood grain finish, etc.) and all, but no, a console without an SD card for me is not in my serious consideration.  The Retron 77, the various Atari Flashback consoles  (which you can side load games onto via USB port), the VCS-PC and the Gamestation Pro are the only consoles that would be in my serious consideration if I were ever to shop for an Atari 2600 console right now.  

LOL,

It's a GIF from the movie idiocracy. It's supposed to be "offensive" to people who don't get it.

as for the rest of your post - great. You're entitled to your opinions, as am I. That's how discussion forums work. Also - LOL, you registered in July 2023 and you're here mad that the 2600+ isn't an "easy cheat device". that was exactly my point.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

I love the enthusiasm about the 2600+ and all the retro vibes (simulated wood grain finish, etc.) and all, but no, a console without an SD card for me is not in my serious consideration.  The Retron 77, the various Atari Flashback consoles  (which you can side load games onto via USB port), the VCS-PC and the Gamestation Pro are the only consoles that would be in my serious consideration if I were ever to shop for an Atari 2600 console right now.  

OK.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Also - LOL, you registered in July 2023 and you're here mad that the 2600+ isn't an "easy cheat device". that was exactly my point.

I thought your point was that it was a conspiracy. Like, that new forum members who complained had a pre-planned ulterior motive other than their actual complaints.

Edited by Glorkbot

4 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

LOL,

It's a GIF from the movie idiocracy. It's supposed to be "offensive" to people who don't get it.

as for the rest of your post - great. You're entitled to your opinions, as am I. That's how discussion forums work. Also - LOL, you registered in July 2023 and you're here mad that the 2600+ isn't an "easy cheat device". that was exactly my point.

@John Stamos Mullet  Well, that sounds reasonable.  Yes, I've only been here for six months, I'm kind of a noob, and looks like you've been here for five and a half years.  I'm sure you have many an Atari Age story to tell.  If I ever see that movie, I'll have to look for that scene so I can understand your GIF better.  Funny, I actually started a thread called "2600 Cheater's Club" back in September.  For example, by cheating, I got 1,815,990 on Midnight Magic pinball.  Not sure what that has to do with the discussion about 2600+ though.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

1 hour ago, Glorkbot said:

I thought your point was that it was a conspiracy. Like, that new forum members who complained had a pre-planned ulterior motive other than their actual complaints.

That was more sarcasm than anything else. I just always find it annoying/non-coincidental when new or nearly new users show up to a discussion forum for the express reason of complaining about things.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

That was more sarcasm than anything else. I just always find it annoying/non-coincidental when new or nearly new users show up to a discussion forum for the express reason of complaining about things.

Well of course it's not a coincidence that people would come to an Atari forum if they have a problem of some sort with an Atari product. Where else would they go?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

Well of course it's not a coincidence that people would come to an Atari forum if they have a problem of some sort with an Atari product. Where else would they go?

Atari's customer Service links on their own website?

Maybe Come here and read the hundreds and hundreds of posts already covering exactly what they came here to complain about before posting the same stuff over and over, ad nauseum?

2 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Maybe Come here and read the hundreds and hundreds of posts already covering exactly what they came here to complain about before posting the same stuff over and over, ad nauseum?

To be fair Atari doesn’t have a FAQ about the 2600+ on their site yet and the pinned post here is about game compatibility. It is definitely something that would minimise queries though!

2 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

To be fair Atari doesn’t have a FAQ about the 2600+ on their site yet and the pinned post here is about game compatibility. It is definitely something that would minimise queries though!

There's a compatibility list link RIGHT HERE:

https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus

It's been there since before the product shipped, and has been updated multiple times since.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

It's been there since before the product shipped, and has been updated multiple times since.

True and looking at the pinned post again it appears to be intended as a general FAQ and not just about game compatibility, so you’re right, already covered 👍

Edited by Sean_1970

7 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Yep, but it covers only NTSC.

But V1.1 will do a very good job on 7800 PAL games, I am quite happy with the beta, at least for the 7800 PAL games😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I guess I wan't clear on my real point.

Of course Atari users, or even people just curious about Atari, would come to an Atari forum. It is totally natural for them to come here, or ANY Atari-related site. Atari.com, atariage.com, the Atari section of Reddit, or any other similar site that might show up in a google search.

It’s totally apropos for anyone interested in Atari to end up here. That includes people with a complaint.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

I guess I wan't clear on my real point.

Of course Atari users, or even people just curious about Atari, would come to an Atari forum. It is totally natural for them to come here, or ANY Atari-related site. Atari.com, atariage.com, the Atari section of Reddit, or any other similar site that might show up in a google search.

It’s totally apropos for anyone interested in Atari to end up here. That includes people with a complaint.

I get that, and you're not wrong.

My original point with this whole thread was merely a sarcastic mocking of the kind of people who came here specifically to complain, and a good portion of it looking suspiciously like brand newish sockpuppet accounts, registered by some other longtime users her with notoriously anti-Atari agendas who like to blow things out of proportion. Not so much an "astroturfed movement", but just the general malaise of overfed, over-entitled, retrogaming whiners who pull the same crap with everything that comes down the pipe in this hobby.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet