IGNORED

Checkered Flag just got Awesome

cubanismo

Didn't one of the programmers say that back in the day their boss would throw things at them? Was it Seedy or someone else?

I think Night Dive Studios recently said everything is remote work now for their team. Mentioning the downside is missing out on office comtaderie. Which made me think of the item throwing story. 

26 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Didn't one of the programmers say that back in the day their boss would throw things at them? Was it Seedy or someone else?

I think Night Dive Studios recently said everything is remote work now for their team. Mentioning the downside is missing out on office comtaderie. Which made me think of the item throwing story. 

Now they can work from their bed instead of sleep under their desks.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

Yes , it was the boss of Imagitec Martin Hooley ( nickname  Norman Bates ).  At least once when out drinking he would randomly throw ashtrays . In the office he played Raiden on an arcade machine. Every life he lost he punched the CRT.

At TT Games we work from home  ( can work in the offices if we want , but not many do - don't have to pay to commute into work ) But I do miss the presence of people. Don't talk to many at work as normally I have headphones on listening to music programming away so don't pay attention to people normally. Its only when you have a break might you say something to others. Now with next to nobody in the offices , when you do working the office its a ghost town and that's a bit depressing - so I work from home and chat with people i need to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/1/2024 at 5:43 PM, agradeneu said:

Iam not sure if equalling ZX81 RAM with RISC cache (SRAM) was a serious remark.;-) 

Its like letting a racey car with 200HP compete with a VW Beetle because they had the same displacement of the engine. 

I would have been talking about the number of instructions you could hold in the Tom or Jerry memory. You could not fit a full 3d rendering engine in it. So you write it in chunks and pass a lot of data about. Not efficient

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seedy1812 said:

I would have been talking about the number of instructions you could hold in the Tom or Jerry memory. You could not fit a full 3d rendering engine in it. So you write it in chunks and pass a lot of data about. Not efficient

We are lucky, Bubsy 3D did not fit in! ;-)

I think some programmers found a way to execute GPU code from RAM, but its said to be much slower than executing from GPU cache. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Seedy1812 said:

Yes , it was the boss of Imagitec Martin Hooley ( nickname  Norman Bates ).  At least once when out drinking he would randomly throw ashtrays . In the office he played Raiden on an arcade machine. Every life he lost he punched the CRT.

Throw ashtrays? What kind and where/at who?

4 hours ago, Seedy1812 said:

metal cheap ones pubs used to have when people could smoke inside. Just to people of  Imagitec who were not in his good books.

Wow. And that was tolerated? No one got up and hit him with a chair?