IGNORED

Mystery overlay for 99/4

Appeelicious

29 minutes ago, Appeelicious said:

Your guesses might be better than mine. I found this nestled in my cartridge manuals box when I was hunting for my TEII overlay. What do you think it's for?

17033534565608845509437244891699.jpg

Obviously it is a TI99/4 overlay, probably meant for gaming using keys for two player experience. Unknown the game it was meant for?

• Like 2

A-Maze-Ing is a reasonably good candidate, but it may have been a part of the standard overlay set for the 99/4 console as another option. I don't remember off the top of my head whether or not mine came with my console or if it arrived as part of a cartridge package. The standard directional key controls were used in a lot of TI games, and the 99/4 overlay system made it easy to visualize that.

I just went digging into my overlay collection. The overlay was probably not part of the basic set (all overlays are sequentially numbered, and Video Chess 1015992-3 and Terminal Emulator I 1015992-5 are both before it), so the suspicion that it was for A-Maze-Ing gains strength. I'm attaching a scan set of all seven of the Overlays in my collection. Note that my TE-II overlay has the infamous nub for easy removal on it, so that end of the overlay is a little blurred. The last one in the set is the TE-I overlay, which isn't seen all that often at all. I am missing at least three of the 99/4 overlays, based on the numeric sequence, as the blank overlay is 1015992-10

99_4_Overlays.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 2:13 PM, Ksarul said:

A-Maze-Ing is a reasonably good candidate, but it may have been a part of the standard overlay set for the 99/4 console as another option. I don't remember off the top of my head whether or not mine came with my console or if it arrived as part of a cartridge package. The standard directional key controls were used in a lot of TI games, and the 99/4 overlay system made it easy to visualize that.

I just went digging into my overlay collection. The overlay was probably not part of the basic set (all overlays are sequentially numbered, and Video Chess 1015992-3 and Terminal Emulator I 1015992-5 are both before it), so the suspicion that it was for A-Maze-Ing gains strength. I'm attaching a scan set of all seven of the Overlays in my collection. Note that my TE-II overlay has the infamous nub for easy removal on it, so that end of the overlay is a little blurred. The last one in the set is the TE-I overlay, which isn't seen all that often at all. I am missing at least three of the 99/4 overlays, based on the numeric sequence, as the blank overlay is 1015992-10

99_4_Overlays.pdf 2.91 MB · 16 downloads

Jim, can you list the numbers to go with these photos?  Trying to  follow along, but I'm unfamiliar with several of these.  

On 12/23/2023 at 1:29 PM, InfiniteTape said:

My guess is A-MAZE-ING.

image.thumb.png.228e592bff9b482e34b9cc828f99ab6e.png

Interesting guess!  It makes sense, since A*maze*ing didn't use the fire button.  But, A*maze*ing was the only cartridge I had along with the 99/4, and I don't remember any overlay. (Maybe I just learned the keys quickly!)

I'm interested in these details, because I maintain a 99/4 console for public display with original accessories. 

I thought of Video Games I, but the Potshot game needed the fire button. 

• Like 1