IGNORED

Sales on VCS games?

T.A.P.

Games are currently on sale just now, what an amazing time to grab everything especially for new VCS owners. I didn't really benefit from the sale, i had a complete Atari VCS 800 game library minus one DOS game i had to pick up that i noticed was finally on sale tonight for the first time so i grabbed it to complete the library. I think this is the first time I've seen the DOSBox games on sale for the Atari VCS which is kinda cool, as i felt they where a bit over priced.

3 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Games are currently on sale just now, what an amazing time to grab everything especially for new VCS owners. I didn't really benefit from the sale, i had a complete Atari VCS 800 game library minus one DOS game i had to pick up that i noticed was finally on sale tonight for the first time so i grabbed it to complete the library. I think this is the first time I've seen the DOSBox games on sale for the Atari VCS which is kinda cool, as i felt they where a bit over priced.

Was it that football game that was on sale for about a minute a year or two ago?

This sale is even better than the Black Friday sale. Basketboom! was the game I kept trying to buy during the sale when the zip code error was a problem, because I needed to test if it was still a problem, because it was on sale and because it looks fun. Well, I successfully bought it last night at a lower price than it was during that sale, so I'm happy. I also bought a few other games at significant discounts. A couple I was on the fence about, but 50% off made them more attractive. In case anyone is wondering, those are Tempest 4000 and Days of Doom. I'm not a big Tempest fan, but for $10, why not? And I thought Days of Doom looks fun but frustrating, so I bought it for 50% off.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 1

There are some games that just don't appeal to me in the VCS library. However, I do believe that everything in there will appeal to at least some people, and it's always nice to have a variety of options for a variety of people.

Games I regret having purchased: Donut Dodo and Avian Knights. I just can't get into Donut Dodo. Avian Knight should have been right up my alley, given my love of Joust, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as Joust. I like everything else I've purchased, most of which I purchased at full price.

• Like 1

Any way to take advantage of the sale before my VCS arrives? Also, just bought a VCS, was that still a good idea? We’ve been enjoying the 2600+ so thought I’d bite on the 50/50 bundle today. I (think) I know what I’m getting myself into as far as expectations.

Edited by haxxon

1 hour ago, haxxon said:

Any way to take advantage of the sale before my VCS arrives? Also, just bought a VCS, was that still a good idea? We’ve been enjoying the 2600+ so thought I’d bite on the 50/50 bundle today. I (think) I know what I’m getting myself into as far as expectations.

No way to take advantage of the sale until the Atari VCS 800 arrives. Of course its a good idea to purchase the Atari VCS 800 its not only a great console, its a pretty damn good mini PC too and with a USB cart reader on the way allowing it to play physical 2600/7800 carts and more it'll certainly do more than the 2600+ and probably render it useless to you in the end. Not to mention all the new games heading to the Atari VCS 800 and homebrew games etc. I enjoy my 2600+ plus but i expect to box it up in the end when i get the cart reader for the VCS 800 at some point in the future. You should be able to update your new Atari VCS 800 out the box so you might not be getting yourself into anything, allow the console enough time to update and you should be all good, the recent OS update allows for the updating of the console out the box without needing to flash it unless your really unlucky! You might get hit with a black screen during updating the console but best to not touch anything as its updating in the background and seems to be a bug. The zip code issue that prevented some users from being able to purchase games is now fixed so you shouldn't have an issue purchasing games from the store 😀 if you encounter any problems you can always post here, plenty of highly experienced users of the system that will help you out, some have even had the Atari VCS 800 for 3 years so know all the ins and outs of it. 

Edited by Atari_JaguarVCS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jeremiahjt said:

The Polymega cartridge reader is not going to replace a 2600 or 2600+. For many the experience of putting cartridges in and taking them out is best done on a woodgrain instrument.

And for me, my 2600 gaming is done on an original system hooked up to a crt.

The user might find it easier to just use the one system though, in my case i will be packing up my 2600+ when the cart reader comes out for the AtarI VCS 800. I only purchased the 2600+ to have it sit next to my Atari VCS 800 in the main sitting room connected via HDMI to a modern display. My main Atari 2600 and 7800, Jaguar is all at the other end of my house connected to a large CRT TV to along with all my other retro consoles. I'm just to lazy to go to the other end of the building in winter to use them so the 2600+ has been quite useful 😅. I think the Polymega add-on will be doing much more than 2600/7800 carts I've been hearing rumours of other systems so the Atari VCS 800 might be the ultimate way to play these systems outside real hardware on a CRT .

4 hours ago, haxxon said:

Also, just bought a VCS, was that still a good idea?

It's a great idea. I encourage anyone with this question to get one. I was on the fence for so long and I finally bought one last year during the Black Friday sale. In over a year, I've never once regretted the decision to buy it. It's a fun niche system with some great features and, as @Atari_JaguarVCS said, it's going to get even more interesting. The Polymega could very well be a game changer. But, even without it, there are over 130 games in the VCS store and they're continuing to add more. The most expensive game is only $30, many games are under $10 (USD.) Plus, with both the modern controller and the classic joystick, there's a lot of fun to be had. And, if you want to mess around with PC Mode, there's even more fun to be had with it. So, in my opinion, you can't really go wrong with the VCS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

I was thinking $29.99, but I may be mistaken. I bought it when it first became available for the VCS and I don't remember what I paid. Either way, nothing in the store is super expensive.

Off-sale Atari 50 is $29.99. It's 1/2 off at present and is a steal at that price. 

• Like 1

Doesn't matter in the end if your putting the cartridge in the new 2600+ or the upcoming Atari VCS 800 cartridge reader, its still not the authentic experience for that its real hardware all the way. My favorite instrument of choice for putting in cartridges and taking them out again became a piece of dental equipment in the end. For those 2600 games however yes the 7800 is the way to go 🙂.

3 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

My favorite instrument of choice for putting in cartridges and taking them out again became a piece of dental equipment in the end.  🙂

Ah, the venerable Jaguar. Sure, other consoles have bigger libraries and/ or fancier games, but what good are they when it's time for your yearly dental checkup?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

My favorite instrument of choice for putting in cartridges and taking them out again became a piece of dental equipment in the end. For those 2600 games however yes the 7800 is the way to go 🙂.

Nice! I own a shell of said piece of dental equipment:)

• Like 1