IGNORED

Covox??

reifsnyderb

The problem with covox is that it requires the full time attention of the CPU. Now on the other hand if someone could make one that streamed off of its own RAM, which could get filled when the CPU wasn't busy doing other things, then that would be a worthwhile and useful device.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mytek said:

The problem with covox is that it requires the full time attention of the CPU. Now on the other hand if someone could make one that streamed off of its own RAM, which could get filled when the CPU wasn't busy doing other things, then that would be a worthwhile and useful device.

The main downside, I see, is that to make such a device would result in an incompatible sound card standard.  Essentially, the card itself would be another computer.  Of course, this is done all the time.  But, in our case, we'd also need developers to port and/or create software for the new card.  Then, we'd have a VBXE type scenario for sound cards.

2 hours ago, mytek said:

Does COVOX need a separate sound output or does it exit the Atari via the normal monitor plug. Is there a standard way to combine COVOX and stereo POKEYs or does "full time CPU" mean that there is no time for POKEY sound anyway?

Hello Brian

2 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Then, we'd have a VBXE type scenario for sound cards.

All you'd need is a way to get the sound file into the sound card.  The sound card would do the rest.  So you need a way to get the sound file from the computer into the smart Covox device.  This methode doesn't need to be different for every piece of music.  And you need firmware for the sound card that takes the sound file and feeds it to the DA convertor on the smart Covox device.  This firmware would also always be the same piece of firmware, independent of the piece of music you are playing.  So basically, once the smart Covo device reaches the status where it is ready to be used, all you need is to make sure it gets the music file in the correct format.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

A Covox indeed does require all the CPU time, but that still does not mean that there cannot be some applications for that, such as trackers (Neotracker for example), module players (mentioned, if I am not mistaken) or WAV players (D2D).

As for a more intelligent sound card, there is the Soundboard by @candle. Anyone who has the VBXE can transform it into a Soundboard by flashing into it the relevant FPGA core and connecting the video DACs to a sound amplifier.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Geister said:

Soundes like an opportunity for an intelligent sound card for the 1090 backplane.  I'd buy that!

A lot of development work would be involved for such an animal. 

Edit to add:  I can do a normal 1090 COVOX board pretty quickly.  (I am actually around 75% done with one.)  Doing an intelligent board would require a lot of work for a small number of people.

Edit to add:  If anyone wants to tackle such a project, I'd be happy to explain the 1090 to them and provide what information I am able.

Edited by reifsnyderb

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

What's Simple Stereo 4?

Atari SimpleStereo V4 board, featuring USB mouse/keyboard interface, 4 pokey chips, 2 SID (MOS8580) chips, 2 PSG chips, Soft-Synth like 32 channels sythetizer and 32 channels WaveTable with up to 8Mbytes of sample memory:
https://atari-owner.com/club/threads/simplestereo-v4-demo.487/

It was shown on Lotharek's page for years, with a stack of them, seemingly ready to order, and now I don't even see it listed on his page.  Sad.

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

Atari SimpleStereo V4 board, featuring USB mouse/keyboard interface, 4 pokey chips, 2 SID (MOS8580) chips, 2 PSG chips, Soft-Synth like 32 channels sythetizer and 32 channels WaveTable with up to 8Mbytes of sample memory:
https://atari-owner.com/club/threads/simplestereo-v4-demo.487/

It was shown on Lotharek's page for years, with a stack of them, seemingly ready to order, and now I don't even see it listed on his page.  Sad.

Hopefully the proposed VBXE with HDMI output doesn't suffer the same fate, although its been a couple years now since I heard about it.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mytek said:

Hopefully the proposed VBXE with HDMI output doesn't suffer the same fate, although its been a couple years now since I heard about it.

Perhaps a build-a-bear (development) board for the 1090 expansion board would allow quick development of a VBXE-like (80 column + Hi-res and Sprites) plug in for the Atari.  One of the advantages of a standard expansion interface for a computer is having  pre-buffered development boards that can be experimented with. I could see an accelerator board with a 65C816 coupled with a 4MB ram board and an 80 column video providing a complete development system that would obviate the need to develop on a PC.

Since the VBXE needs to sit on a GTIA, I guess moving everything else outside the box would leave room for the VBXE to fit in the case?  And with the full system bus on the 1090/1, perhaps the GTIA could be moved outside the case as well? I haven't looked at the schematics in a long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geister said:

Perhaps a build-a-bear (development) board for the 1090 expansion board would allow quick development of a VBXE-like (80 column + Hi-res and Sprites) plug in for the Atari.  One of the advantages of a standard expansion interface for a computer is having  pre-buffered development boards that can be experimented with. I could see an accelerator board with a 65C816 coupled with a 4MB ram board and an 80 column video providing a complete development system that would obviate the need to develop on a PC.

Since the VBXE needs to sit on a GTIA, I guess moving everything else outside the box would leave room for the VBXE to fit in the case?  And with the full system bus on the 1090/1, perhaps the GTIA could be moved outside the case as well? I haven't looked at the schematics in a long time.

Do you think something like a breadboard combined with the normal 1090 power supply and logic?

Edit to add:  I could make something up like this.  However, the capabilities of the 1090 are really only restricted by the limits set by the MMU.  The COVOX, for example, would only require some basic address translation so as to set the register.  Very simple.  Extended memory cards require some address translation to set the register.  Also pretty simple.  Having the programmable logic chips available really helps with address translation.

More advanced cards, that require a ROM, require address translation and an enable/disable latching system for the card id at $D1FF.  This would probably be where this "build-a-bear" board would come in handy.  Having an IRQ latch would also help.  So a dual atf22v10 system would most likely be able to handle this.  Throw in an open collector buffer and a 74f74. 

Even so, developers are still required.  Admittedly, I find this aspect discouraging as I've released all the Atari PBI stuff I could find and verify.  Thus far, development is very limited.

Edited by reifsnyderb