IGNORED

So, Direct Colour . . .

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Yeah, we don't want to confuse anyone into thinking that this game uses DirectX. :lolblue:

True dat. I'm giving it a wee go in my own SNES Background Modes article to see how it fits and feels there. :)

Edit: I like it! :)

Edit 2: Actually, I'm genuinely gonna start using this whenever I talk about any of the SNES mockup examples I make that basically take advantage of the fact the SNES has some of the very best colour capabilities of any home console of its generation to produce whatever awesome results. So, if I show off a new demo of a platformer level that has stunning looking backgrounds made possible by even the standard Mode 3 and 4 8bpp capabilities, I must still just say something like "It's all down to the SNES Colour Blasting!", or, if I make some graphic novel game that's full of a bunch of gorgeous 8bpp images throughout, I might say "This is the power of Colour Blasting!", or if I use Direct Colour in some future mockup/demo/game, I'll say it's all possible because of the SNES Colour Blasting!", or, maybe I can even use it with my Mode 0 demos that kinda have nothing to with with the colours other than it can still put a couple hundred of them on-screen total, and so on. Eventually, I'll probably be able to use it anytime we see something cool on SNES anywhere and people will get what I mean, "That's the power of Colour Blasting for you. Now you're playing with power; SUPER POWER!" :)

Edit 3: But I'll start off simply and build gradually, and for now I'll just use it in the context of Colour Blasting (see direct colour). :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

2 hours ago, turboxray said:

Let me post a few examples for you. Here's Batman on SNES:

se6yWx3jV3BY.png

Batman, in all his awesome pose, takes up 31 hardware sprites! The clowns take up like 29 sprites. You can do the math.. 31+29+29+29 = 118 sprites. SNES is only capable of 128 sprites

So Batman is basically blowing its sprite budget and can only have 3 enemies on screen without dropout. This isn't even a sprite pixel line issue.

Why are the clowns only using 8x8 sprites, except for part of the shoulder?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aaendi said:

Dunno. Probably some interns at Konami haha. The weird stuff that you find, right? Maybe they thought they were gonna save on some vram? Or maybe they pulled in some library code from a different project and just stuck with the limitations. But yeah, this game needs a hack for sure.

1 hour ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Color Blaster isn't a bad name for a game, if something like that came out I think it would be enough for that to catch on.  I find people are more open to using neologisms when I start out by saying "this old terminology is confusing/cumbersome for XYZ reasons, so let's define W instead to mean blah blah blah" and not "oh I'm gonna coin this."

What haha. It's totally a bad name. I mean I'm not against whatever quirky names or whatever people want to come up with, but shouldn't it be sort of descriptive to what it's actively doing, no? Nothing is getting blasted here. Not even a trickle.. it's just a stagnant piles of 3:3:2 non-indirect pixeled tiles sitting in vram. And those pixels are even getting blasted. No blasting is happening.

I mean you already have a catch phrase "Direct Color" which that's exactly what it is. Why not use what it's already called? It's like trying to rename mode 7 to something else. But yeah, "blasting" is not happening. I think Kirk misunderstand what "blast" means in the "blast processing" marketing lingo for the Genesis; it's just a dma to "blast" colors on a given scanline. This is more like.. color "preserving". 

Edited by turboxray

1 minute ago, turboxray said:

What haha. It's totally a bad name. I mean I'm not against whatever quirky names or whatever people want to come up with, but shouldn't it be sort of descriptive to what it's actively doing, no? Nothing is getting blasted here. Not even a trickle.. it's just a stagnant piles of 3:3:2 non-indirect pixeled tiles sitting in vram. And those pixels are even getting blasted. No blasting is happening.

I mean you already have a catch phrase "Direct Color" which that's exactly what it is. Why not use what it's already called? It's like trying to rename mode 7 to something else. But yeah, "blasting" is not happening. I think Kirk misunderstand what "blast" means in the "blast processing" marketing lingo for the Genesis; it's just a dma to "blast" colors on a given scanline. This is more like.. color "preserving". 

hey, if someone blasted their CG-RAM out it could fit.

He's calling it color blasting to tweak off the blast processing kool-aid drinkers of the Sega fan pool, nothing more, nothing less.  The only color he's clearly blasting with this is WHITE, off white.

How exactly was pastebin used to check every one of those edits he did and log it from the outside since we're not mods??  That's really fascinating, as fascinating enough he dropped that ignore to see those PCE images.  The PCE despite its age, despite the fact it was made to and successfully for awhile spanked the Famicom is really quite remarkable.  The way that NEC created that thing cobbling those processes and parts together allow it to exceptional stuff that really is ahead of systems that came years later, and in ways more efficiently such as the sprite handling.  You see these stupid charts online, you quote them, I'll have quoted them, saying X and do Y and this does that, and it makes it seem lesser, but if you know, you really know and see how these things really do work those limits often enough are fairly soft.  I really really miss owning a PCE.  I had even considered looking into that (f them) analogue DUO for future if it wasn't for their bad design decision to not fit and everdrive right I probably would.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

How exactly was pastebin used to check every one of those edits he did and log it from the outside since we're not mods?? 

Ohh, that's just me.. knowing that he's predictable as ever. I knew Kirk was gonna get pissed off and all worked up (even though he says he ignores people). He's done this in the past on other forums where he's made like 50 edits in 5 minutes when he's all worked up. He was kinda known for this. So when I saw him reply, and then an edit popped up.. I just manually copy pasted his reply every time an edit came in hahahah. Good ol' fashion manual copy/pasta. I mean, it wasn't that difficult.. the majority of his edits happen in the first 5-10 mins when he's all worked up.

Kirk is pretty predictable in so many ways. The more you tell him otherwise, the more he doubles down. That's what all this "color blasting" nonsense is about. It's him going off having a fit.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aaendi said:

Looking at the game itself there's times where the Clown can be on screen with other enemy types like the Biker enemy. It could be that they made the clown out of 8x8 sprites as a way preserve VRAM for other enemies and objects that could pop up that would need more VRAM as well as some of Batmans other animation frames. You can even see when there's more than one Biker enemy on screen, you get sprite drop out:

Hey @jeffythedragonslayer just out of curiosity, how long have you been in love with @Kirk_Johnston? Is this a relatively-new phenomenon with you carrying his bags, doing his homework, and defending him from bullies? Or has this been an ongoing relationship that preexists you guys' time at AtariAge?

If you don't mind me asking, of course. I just find the relationship fascinating.

5 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

Is that what happened to Creamhoven?

Well this is just a rumor but I heard it was the first case of Super Colour Blasting 64 Wii ever recorded and he re-created the Sistine Chapel with only motion controls.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

I do not want another Kiwi Farms brewing.

Is that a good enough answer for you?

I don't see how that's at all comparable since Kirk initiates the fights that he gets into, he's the aggressor.

Furthermore I've only heard such a comparison once before - from Kirk himself - comparing himself to byuu which is what finally lead to his banning from the SNESdev Discord. He made allusions to suicide because he was upset that people suggested the best/only way to truly get a feel for some of the things he was constantly asking about was by writing some code to see what works & what doesn't. His comments upset everyone in the chat.

So best I can do is take your reply as a non-answer that flirts with delusion.

• Like 4

SERIOUS POST

It's been suggested before, but if you actually believe that's where he's at, he needs to stop doing this and you need to stop enabling him and get him to get help. He needs professional help at that point. I'm not trying to be snarky when I say this. 

That being said, I don't think it's fair to this community to dump all of this on them and expect them to just take it. It's not our responsibility to sugar coat the truth for him. He asks technical questions and gets technical answers, it's nobody's fault that his expectations don't meet reality. What is his fault is how he reacts to people taking their time and using their knowledge and experience to correct him. Nobody here can help in any way that will solve whatever his real problems are. If someone is so close to the edge that being wrong about a 33-year-old video game console is what will push them over, they need serious and immediate medical attention, not a pat on the back.

NHS Mental Health

Urgent Help:

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/mental-health-services/get-urgent-help-for-mental-health/

Suicide Prevention Resources: https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/feelings-symptoms-behaviours/behaviours/help-for-suicidal-thoughts/

Betterhelp:

https://www.betterhelp.com/

These will do him and everyone here far more good than watching an RGME video or making a Game Maker mockup. If you're actually his friend, do everything in your power to get him to stop doing this and seek help.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2