IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

13 hours ago, BitMerge6502 said:

Anyone else discover that if you use a keyboard via an OTG cable on the 2600+ and type "F1" you can enter the Stella save state menu? However, It seems that because Stella only recognizes the cart dumper as a single game (regardless of title), all games will share the same save state slots. The upside; there are 1,000 save slots, so you can still save each game to a different slot (you would have to keep track of them on paper). My recommendation would be to skip every 10 slots so you have multiple slots for each title, that would still leave you with enough slots for 100 unique games. Also, "P" key pauses any game, arrow keys & "A" & "Z" are the FIRE buttons (for 2600). All seems pretty standard. I still have yet to try, but the OTG cable might also allow for using USB game controllers as well (most likely D-input devices). FYI - Hyperkin sells the "Trooper 2" Atari style USB joystick with added buttons. 

20240113_211233.jpg

Even thou most atari games don't really need save states, it would be cool if it was added somehow in a future update.

Games like secret mission, raiders of the lost ark , mr run n jump ,impossible mission 7800 etc would be a lot easier

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Even thou most atari games don't really need save states, it would be cool if it was added somehow in a future update.

Games like secret mission, raiders of the lost ark , mr run n jump ,impossible mission 7800 etc would be a lot easier

A supported method of exposing the existing underlying UI and/or functionality will hopefully be coming in a future update.

• Like 1

I love the atari 2600+ great build not cheap like the atari flashback consoles. plays pretty much plays all carts...

It doesn't feel the same to me tho. Like putting your cart into actual hardware... I may actually go back to my composite modded PAL sixer with slightly wrong colours. lol 🤔

Been having fun with the 2600+ so far. After getting the paddle + 4 in in bundle it felt like there was a tiny bit of lag, though granted it's been 30+ years since I last played.

Looking through the forums I noticed a couple threads such as this one of people experiencing similar issues. With the limited testing, some have concluded that the lag may be in part to an emulation issue with the 2600+. 

With that in mind, I'm just wondering if this is on the developers radar and if it's something that could potentially be resolved or improved in a future firmware update.

2 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Keystone Kapers has slight screen tear! While running across the screen your character hesitates 3 times. When you get to a level with shopping carts you can see they blur a bit 3 times across the screen

are you using the PAL or the NTSC version? is normal having disappearing things on PAL games in beta 1.1

4 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

so maybe something is wrong with your tv settings because I think the framerate is right on the 2600+

I could try another tv. My Retron 77 is using that tv as well keystone Kapers runs smooth on the Retron 77

Edited by MrChickenz

Fwiw I've tried to flash the 2600+ using available open source tools (xrock, rkflashtool) on Linux and MacOS. I've managed to talk to the chip, and it seems that it enters mask ROM mode when the flashing combo is pressed on power up. From what I gather mask ROM mode runs a basic loader from an internal mask ROM which then waits for a payload to initialise DRAM and load a second stage USB loader. I've tracked down what I gather are the correct payloads for the 3128 (there's a lot of rockchip resources on github, but most documentation is chinese) and upload those to the chip with xrock. At this point the chip presents a new USB interface, and I can identify and try to read the flash. However, all sectors read as 0xcc, so something is still off. I haven't dared to write as long as I cannot read correctly 😏  However, I think mask ROM mode is good news, as having that available should make the device unbrickable.

Having an open source solution available would make it possible to create a web based solution for flashing the chip that uses WebUSB and which runs on any system that can run Chromium. I've taken a look at the source code of said tools, and the protocol seems pretty straightforward.

There's also a closed source updater for Linux from rockchip themselves. Couldn't try it though as it is x86 32bit, and Rosetta 2 only supports x64 (I'm on an Apple Silicon Mac). If I find time I might set up an UTM / qemu VM and try the Linux updater or the Windows updater. Sniffing the USB communication and comparing that to xrock / rkflashtool might well clear up the remaining issues.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wellwell, just a word of caution: don't try this at home 😏 It seems that I have managed to (soft) brick it. I am very sure it can be recovered, but I would advise against experimenting at this point, unless you are ready to deal with the consequences 😛

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Thanks 1

... aaaaand recovered 😏

I could run the i386 version of Rockchip's own update_tool that I had previously downloaded (which identifies as 1.21) with qemu-user, and it initialised the maskrom updater (just like xrock), but it failed to actually update. I then looked for a newer version and tried the version here (which identifies as 2.17 and is amd64, so it works directly on Rosetta 2) and it works --- it can flash the update with "update_tool uf <update.img>".

So, my 2600+ now works again, and you can flash updates from linux (and on MacOS in a Linux VM, using Rosetta 2 or qemu-user on Apple Silicon). I only tried the original firmware image, but updates should work the same.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 3:58 PM, TheRingBearer said:

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone working on this.  Outstanding work.  This old man has been reliving his childhood.  lol

I do hope though they are able to get all of the Champ Games cartridges working.

They do work, just needs an update to the dumper code. 😃

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 8:51 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

One can achieve the same by putting the ROMs as single loads onto a Harmony cart using e.g. F4 bankswitching for 32K games (I think when Circus Convoy is supported, even 128K games should work using SB bankswitching). 

But overall that's even more fake than using the dumper only. IMHO.

Not managed to get Elevator Agent 64k working but did with a 32k test version. Have you managed to get EA 64k working on Harmony in Development mode?

If so which Bankswitching system did you use?

32 minutes ago, mastic_man said:

Not managed to get Elevator Agent 64k working but did with a 32k test version. Have you managed to get EA 64k working on Harmony in Development mode?

If so which Bankswitching system did you use?

Nope. I only have a Harmony, where 32K are the limit. Also most CDF(J) cannot be loaded onto the cart (F4 compression failed)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DirtyHairy said:

... aaaaand recovered 😏

I could run the i386 version of Rockchip's own update_tool that I had previously downloaded (which identifies as 1.21) with qemu-user, and it initialised the maskrom updater (just like xrock), but it failed to actually update. I then looked for a newer version and tried the version here (which identifies as 2.17 and is amd64, so it works directly on Rosetta 2) and it works --- it can flash the update with "update_tool uf <update.img>".

So, my 2600+ now works again, and you can flash updates from linux (and on MacOS in a Linux VM, using Rosetta 2 or qemu-user on Apple Silicon). I only tried the original firmware image, but updates should work the same.

It would be great if this process could be detailed and documented so that this thread won’t continue to be flooded with “but what about MY MAC???” Posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

so maybe something is wrong with your tv settings because I think the framerate is right on the 2600+

I hooked my Atari 2600+ to a different tv and different HDMI cable. Keystone Kapers is still lagging when running across screen Kelly stutters at least 3 times you cane see it. When you get to a shopping cart level the shopping carts blur at least 3 times while going across the screen. It’s also happening with pitfall not as noticeable because of the obstacles and pits you have to stop. So I’m sure it’s happening with other games across the board.

Keystone Kapers is one you notice happening with because of the play. It’s definitely not happening with my original hardware or my Retron 77. “NTSC version”

Edited by MrChickenz

37 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I hooked my Atari 2600+ to a different tv and different HDMI cable. Keystone Kapers is still lagging when running across screen Kelly stutters at least 3 times you cane see it. When you get to a shopping cart level the shopping carts blur at least 3 times while going across the screen. It’s also happening with pitfall not as noticeable because of the obstacles and pits you have to stop. So I’m sure it’s happening with other games across the board.

Keystone Kapers is one you notice happening with because of the play. It’s definitely not happening with my original hardware or my Retron 77. “NTSC version”

A video would be worth a thousand words.  :)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I hooked my Atari 2600+ to a different tv and different HDMI cable. Keystone Kapers is still lagging when running across screen Kelly stutters at least 3 times you cane see it. 

Weird.  I have spent a fair bit of time playing KK on my plus, and I haven't seen what you describe at all.