IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

I'm (very) interested! I have 126 PAL cartridges to test (only for the 2600, but from various publishers: Atari, Activision, Telegames, Imagic, CBS, Tigervision, Spectravision, ITT Games, Telesys, Sega, Salu, Sancho, Xonox...). I also have an Atari 2600 PAL Junior, a PAL light sixer, and an Atari 7800 PAL. (I also have a Retron 77 with the latest build), so I have the means to compare the behavior of the Atari 2600+ with the original PAL hardware hooked to a CRT.

• Like 6

Holy moly!  This is great and addresses a few things I've been pointing out.  Thanks so much for addressing these things and letting the public beta test to shake things out before release!

Sadly, I won't be able to participate as I haven't had a computer running Windows (nor MacOS) in my household since 2003 and I don't intend to ever invite that monstrosity into my home.  That being said, I hope that the firmware upgrade won't require Windows too.  I'll be intensely upset if that turns out to be the case.  I'm puzzled as so why it would require Windows in the first place.

In any case, if you ever release a Linux based firmware flasher for the beta, I've got a few oddity games and a plurality of first and third party joystick/paddle/lightgun/etc controllers I could test out in the 2600 and 7800 catalog.

Thanks!

OH right!  ...And, like @remowilliams, I'm VERY interested to know if the firmware can be rolled back too.

Edited by Mi1ez
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mi1ez said:

In any case, if you ever release a Linux based firmware flasher for the beta, I've got a few oddity games and a plurality of first and third party joystick/paddle/etc controllers I could test out in the 2600 and 7800 catalog.

WINE on Linux?
I've run several Windows only tools on that when required...

(Assuming it runs under that...)

• Like 1

Wine on linux is not the answer.  It rarely is.

Flatpak or shellscript would be ideal.   Google & other houses have been having firmware updates via web-browser; if you want to get fancy & 100% os agnostic.  

At a minimum, I'd think we should have an option for updating the 2600+ thru the VCS.

Edited by suspicious_milk
I can't spell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cripes I forgot to write a with thanks to message for the update.

Thanks to everyone at the factory that without which this product and continued support would not be possible, then the heroes of the update @raz0redand @RevEng - their speed with the 7800 emulation and dumper work was insane, it was a pleasure working with you. Special thanks also goes out to @Dr Karnov, @Albert, @Thomas Jentzsch and everyone else thats contributed. 

You know Thomas messaged me a while back and said you need to come on AA and answer questions. Best thing I ever did was heed his advice.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, suspicious_milk said:

Wine on linux is not the answer.  It rarely is.

Yeah, I spent years as a Linux zealot too...  (lots and lots of years..  like SLS Linux years...) Know where you are coming from...

A web update would be ideal.  I don't disagree...
But I'm also practical, and if there was a way to do something with WINE, I'd do that...

But that's me...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, desiv said:

Yeah, I spent years as a Linux zealot too...  (lots and lots of years..  like SLS Linux years...) Know where you are coming from...

A web update would be ideal.  I don't disagree...
But I'm also practical, and if there was a way to do something with WINE, I'd do that...

But that's me...

I'm a Linux user, not a zealot 😅

Everyone has different wants/needs & that's fine.

WINE is wonderful when used as intended with reasonable expectations.  It'd be pretty weird (and unprofessional) to have an app that's flashing hardware depend on it. I don't think we'll see that anyways.  It can be a good band-aid in desperate times though.

Edited by suspicious_milk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, suspicious_milk said:

It'd be pretty weird (and unprofessional) to have an app that's flashing hardware depend on it.

Of course it would.  No one said otherwise. 
But it wouldn't be uncommon to have an app that is designed for Windows with no Linux or Mac version, but happens to also run in WINE.  ;-) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Thanks to all here at Atari Age for feedback provided on the Atari 2600+.

We have a beta update to the Emulation and Dumper chip ready that I've been taking about for a while on the main 2600+ AA thread.

I've had lots of offers from people offering to test the update. Up until now its been tested internally with a limited amount of carts, I've sent it out to a few peers tonight who I know have got big collections. Its the breadth of cartridges out there that we internally just dont have easy access to - such a massive amount of carts with all their variations that need checking.

So if anyone here on AA wants to give the update a test with their own carts please post your interest in this thread and I will send the files and instructions to you over the next few days. You will need a Windows Laptop/PC to do the update, its not the most elegant process but should be all done in a few minutes.

Some details on the update;

2600 Changes

Dumper:

• Fix for Realsports boxing
  • Enable Circus Convoy to boot (Also requires 1.1 Emulator update)
  • Enable CBS Ram Plus cartridge to boot - Omega Race tested (booster grip not tested), Tunnel Runner and Mountain King not tested (Also requires 1.1 Emulator update)

Emulator:

• Change PAL colour palette to z26
  • PAL / NTSC cartridge auto detect to display at appropiate 50 or 60hz
  • Reversal of Difficulty Switches

7800 Changes

Dumper:

• Support for unknown cartridges (linear and bank switched)
  • Removed clashing NTSC/PAL cartridge entries from known list (now handled as "unknown")
  • Increased maximum cartridge size
  • Increased dumper read timeout  (support larger cartridges)

Emulator:

• Fix for swapped controller buttons
  • Pause support via Color/B&W switch (may behave inconsistently depending on cartridge)
  • Significant updates to Pokey sound chip support
  • Support for additional Pokey configurations (@4000, @800, @450, etc.)
  • Yamaha YM2151 sound chip support
  • Support for 7800 expansion module (XM)
  • Updated palettes (contributed by Trebor @ AtariAge)
  • Partial cartridge hash detection (compatibility with dumper)
  • Cartridge probing for Pokey and YM sound chips (compatibility with dumper)
  • Cartridge header database with entries from known carts 
  • Improved cartridge header support
  • Compatibility with larger bank switched cartridges
  • Maria double buffered line RAM support
  • Maria background color fix
  • Maria color kill support
  • Maria PAL display area fix 
  • Overall improved cycle accuracy (including Maria)
  • Added support for several new opcodes
  • Z flag fix when in decimal mode
  • Multiple memory map fixes
  • RIOT interrupt mirror fix
  • Force PAL mode controller escape sequence

What our intention is with this beta update is to receive feedback on whether all of the above works with your cartridges. Development is kind of swift and we will most likely be finding elements from testing that need tweaking, highly likely we'll be releasing further builds till we are satisfied the update can lose its beta status, then we will move onto a subsequent update to address matters that still need resolving still.

Thanks Ben

Please add me to the list as well. As a moderator here and admin of the AA Facebook group I have hundreds of carts in my collection including most released homebrews. Thank you. 

• Like 1