IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

Back on topic - Just got back from my travels below the equator - did the Firmware update and all is well, Popeye 7800 NTSC is working like a charm! But my old Robot Tank NTSC cart still rolls on boot.

edit: however - dumping Robot Tank as a single rom to a Harmony cart as an F8 banked game runs it perfectly.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

3 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Back on topic - Just got back from my travels below the equator - did the Firmware update and all is well, Popeye 7800 NTSC is working like a charm! But my old Robot Tank NTSC cart still rolls on boot.

edit: however - dumping Robot Tank as a single rom to a Harmony cart as an F8 banked game runs it perfectly.

Sorry to sound like a broken record. But I have Robot Tank going to the developer to fix the dumping issue here.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Is your Popeye 7800 version 2.3c?

Mine is that version and freezes after start...

1 minute ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Is your Popeye 7800 version 2.3c?

Mine is that version and freezes after start...

Heh - turns out I'm a lazy sod, I hadn't actually tried to play it. Mine does too. Bummer.

41 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record. But I have Robot Tank going to the developer to fix the dumping issue here.

yeah  - I should have read further back in the thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bent_pin said:

Sounds highly impractical.

I agree that there should be a platform independent upgrade path, but for the first beta update, I think you and several others are blowing the windows-only thing into a heck of a conspiracy. In every college class I took, except those few where the coursework was based specifically on linux, a windows pc would always serve as 100% compatible. Of the 600 or so students that I've worked with over the years, only 3 have been non-windows users and they were mac users. 

So far as aiming for the widest user base, windows is the clear choice.

Until Plaion makes an official update, you might trying to relax and let them read the numerous comments that you and others have already posted about your discontent, and trust that they will do their best to accommodate as many users as possible.

beating a dead horse wtf GIF

I am relaxed, I’ve been the one telling folk to be patient and we’ll see, it’s other people speaking for Plaion and saying why it will be windows-only for ever or something in response to simple queries about Mac compatibility. Even if I could install the beta release today I have no reason to because it doesn’t fix anything I have an issue with. I’m thinking ahead to when it’s a final update and addresses outstanding issues like peripheral compatibility. And yes posting the kit would be impractical, but unless Atari is establishing a series of authorised service centres across the world, it’s hard to see what other solution there would be barring making an update tool which is universal or multi-platform or whatever.

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Adding a wifi chip and a user interface completely defeats the purpose of the 2600+.

The 2600+ was only ever intended to be a contemporary re-release of the original 2600, and it's original feature set, period. It uses an Arm chip and Emulation because manufacturing a full chip-for-chip hardware based 2600 would be extremely price prohibitive, as would going with a more advanced device with the features you're asking for. Programming a UI costs developer money, especially one that would be considered attractive and user friendly. adding Wifi hardware also costs both hardware inclusion, chip design, and development costs to make it as compatible as possible. The Wifi chip inclusion alone would be a nightmare, because all the tech enthusiasts on Mesh networks and Wifi 6 and up would complain if it didn't have that, and all the people with old wifi APs would complain if it was Wifi 6 compliant because it would exclude all the old WEP/class B routers. Leaving it out and going USB-C cabled only makes the most sense.

There’s quite a lot of nonsense here, but I’ll do a couple:

1. There is serious discussion around having access to some kind of UI to address some of the A/V issues people are having. It may or may not be hidden, but it’s definitely being considered from what I’m reading in other threads. It would likely be a simple affair passing along config settings to the emulators, so possibly no army of programmers is required.

2. No one is going to care about the speed of the WiFi - unless Blaze has already had their premises burned down by pitchfork-wielding tech bros and it didn’t make the news? You’re using it to download firmware updates, not the Game of Thrones box set so it can be slow as hell. And if any of that guff about how hard it is to include WiFi is true I’m guessing Blaze must be heading towards tech super stardom having delivered a low cost cart-based console with WiFi off the back of a crowdfunding campaign. Look out Bill Gates!

People who don’t have Windows machines are going to ask if they can update their machines, so you know, just skip those posts I guess. Once Plaion figures out what can be addressed in a firmware update and what may require a bit of finesse based upon user preferences I think we’ll find out if there’s going to be a UI, hidden or otherwise and then we’ll learn if there’s an upgrade path for non-Windows folk and I suspect everyone will move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aragorn7 said:

While there was never any question regarding Android dominance, the first link I sent you was to demonstrate Windows OS dominance among all computer users. Here is another couple of links demonstrating the same:

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/

https://www.windowscentral.com/canalys-pc-market-2021-report

If you still feel differently after perusing this information, please supply your own data without anecdotes. Again, Android is dominant because worldwide more people carry a smartphone than any other device. That doesn't mean, however, that an Android smartphone is currently the ideal device to perform firmware updates on gaming consoles or other equipment. Each manufacturer often offers a modified version of Android. This has and does create problems for app developers. Also while iOS due to its closed system is a dream to program apps for compared to Android, it is a distant third in total market share. My point is that while some people may indeed not have easy access to Windows PCs or MACs, for computer users in general, it makes perfect sense for Atari to first provide 2600+ updates via the Windows platform due to it's obvious global dominance and intended functionality as a computer operating system. This may not always be the case, but it certainly is for now.

*it should also be noted that:

Android devices are more dominant world wide by overall count, because there is a huge multitude of dirt cheap/practically disposable class android devices that are utter crap on the market in most developing countries.

Adding all of these devices into the count for Android is like adding every Atari/Commodore/Spectrum/Apple II model of computer ever manufactured into the total count for "Home Computers" market. It's utterly ridiculous to ask Atari to program a means to update the 2600+ via these literal illegal/throwaway devices you find at kioscos in South America and Southeast Asia. Ask me how I know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

*it should also be noted that:

Android devices are more dominant world wide by overall count, because there is a huge multitude of dirt cheap/practically disposable class android devices that are utter crap on the market in most developing countries.

Adding all of these devices into the count for Android is like adding every Atari/Commodore/Spectrum/Apple II model of computer ever manufactured into the total count for "Home Computers" market. It's utterly ridiculous to ask Atari to program a means to update the 2600+ via these literal illegal/throwaway devices you find at kioscos in South America and Southeast Asia. Ask me how I know.

If Atari doesn’t provide a lightning-USB data cable so I can update my 2600+ with my iPhone 12 mini they are dead to me forever - YOU LISTENING NOLAN?!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

2. No one is going to care about the speed of the WiFi - unless Blaze has already had their premises burned down by pitchfork-wielding tech bros and it didn’t make the news? You’re using it to download firmware updates, not the Game of Thrones box set so it can be slow as hell. And if any of that guff about how hard it is to include WiFi is true I’m guessing Blaze must be heading towards tech super stardom having delivered a low cost cart-based console with WiFi off the back of a crowdfunding campaign. Look out Bill Gates!

You fundamentally misunderstood my comments on the Wifi portion, likely because you're a Mac user.

Wifi 6/MESH Access points do not support WEP/Wifi B class devices, period. It's not a matter of speed.

Just now, John Stamos Mullet said:

You fundamentally misunderstood my comments on the Wifi portion, likely because you're a Mac user.

Wifi 6/MESH Access points do not support WEP/Wifi B class devices, period. It's not a matter of speed.

Ah okay. Actually I only upgraded to WiFi 6 last year, so I’m completely unaware of that. My twelve-year-old Laserjet printer and my Evercade connect to it, so I have yet to see what you’re talking about - maybe you can’t get non-compliant chips now?

Oh no, I understood it completely.

I dunno you got a profile pic of the guy from the old Doritos commercials signalling to someone to put a ring on, so it’s hard to tell.

1 minute ago, Sean_1970 said:

I dunno you got a profile pic of the guy from the old Doritos commercials signalling to someone to put a ring on, so it’s hard to tell.

and you got a big purple S, which means you couldn't even figure out the avatar upload settings without a genius bar rep holding your hand.

No, you go.

2 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

and you got a big purple S, which means you couldn't even figure out the avatar upload settings without a genius bar rep holding your hand.

No, you go.

Haha, I’m getting such a 90s nostalgia vibe off this I almost want to flounce out after an expletive-laden post 😂

Seriously though, I have about as much interest in creating an avatar as I do in making up a screen name. I know it’s boring, but one of my few concessions to being an adult - which shouldn’t be taken as a dig by anyone, I might add - I just can’t be bothered with that kind of thing. 

I do hope you at least enjoy Doritos, even if you have to constantly brush the flavoured powder out of that bushy moustache.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shane857 said:

All these issues with emulation. Maybe atari should have gone...actual new console,no emulation? 🤔

I had thought that’s what they were doing, just making a new 2600/7800. I’m sure for cost reasons this was the cheaper/faster way to go. They didn’t skimp on the build quality, packaging or peripherals so I cannot fault them for it. As has been noted by others this machine didn’t have to be made at all, so barring some minor issues with peripheral compatibility and a couple of carts, I can’t complain. I’m honestly more enthusiastic about the 2600+ than my PS5. Nostalgia is a powerful drug!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, shane857 said:

All these issues with emulation. Maybe atari should have gone...actual new console,no emulation? 🤔

It would have cost 5x as much to produce and sell. Nobody us paying $500 for a new 2600 unless they're a collector or have recent head trauma.

LOL. 9 posts. registered December 30th.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

It would have cost 5x as much to produce and sell. Nobody is paying $500 for a new 2600 unless they're a collector or have recent head trauma.

$500 is still almost half the cost of thing when it released in 1977, so that’s a %50 discount!

2 hours ago, suspicious_milk said:

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/

Windows is not the most accessible.  

Laugh.  Shitpost.  Pile on.  Edit & re edit delete rephrase repost.  Lol.

We're talking consumers not "computer users" 🙄

Sorry you're wrong; keep re-framing.  You're "winning".

You're funny. You've provided no data -- only what you believe. You appear to suffer from a condition known as Confirmation Bias. No amount of information will impact your mind unless it confirms your own already stated conclusion. It's also called dishonest skepticism. Instead of actually addressing the data and reasonable arguments offered by others on this forum, you simply ignore or dance around them. When you decide to provide us with actual data, I am more than willing consider it and change my viewpoint in light of facts. Now are you going to try to persuade us with actual data or just offer more rhetoric? If you decide on the latter, I'll consider my assessment correct and not bother replying further. Based on data it is my opinion that Atari made the right decision.

27 minutes ago, Aragorn7 said:

You're funny. You've provided no data -- only what you believe. You appear to suffer from a condition known as Confirmation Bias. No amount of information will impact your mind unless it confirms your own already stated conclusion. It's also called dishonest skepticism. Instead of actually addressing the data and reasonable arguments offered by others on this forum, you simply ignore or dance around them. When you decide to provide us with actual data, I am more than willing consider it and change my viewpoint in light of facts. Now are you going to try to persuade us with actual data or just offer more rhetoric? If you decide on the latter, I'll consider my assessment correct and not bother replying further. Based on data it is my opinion that Atari made the right decision.

Another note on the Android devices thing:

all the commercial airlines who are putting in-flight entertainment devices in the seatbacks on their flights are using android-based devices, which are also included in those numbers he's citing earlier. This is quite literally millions of devices (300 +/- seats per plane X 10's of thousands of planes world wide).

Also includes touchscreen kiosks in places like shopping malls, airports, etc.