IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

4 hours ago, alissa914 said:

I've been scanning the thread to see if anyone else is having this issue but I don't see it yet....

On mine after the firmware update, the system appears to always be in the ON state.  Even if I switch it off on the left side... the device is always just on.  Only way to turn it off is to unplug the USB-C cable from power.  I don't mind doing this but it seems like it shouldn't be doing that.

Should I just attempt to reflash it?  I'm more concerned that I broke something while doing the flash but am hoping it's not broken and maybe getting a future firmware update will cause that to fix itself out.  Cartridges appear to work just fine though still... everything seems OK otherwise.

Where are you getting the power source from?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laladien said:

Just a few notes - 

RS Boxing Red Label now works.
Circus Convoy loads fine - slow, but fine.

Slight oddity that I haven’t seen here, game specific:

Tried journey escape for the first time since the update and the audio is fine on the splash screen, but once I start the game, the audio is slower and slightly distorted. Didn’t notice it prior to the update, so either I’m just inattentive and blinded by my love for all things Journey or there is an actual audio issue that occurred after the update. If someone else could try a copy and let me know, that’d be great. LOL 

Every other game I tested worked fine, but I’m since they’ve all been already reported as fine, I won’t post all the titles. 

I had the same problem with both 1.0 and 1.1. Apparently I forgot to add it to my issues list. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Where are you getting the power source from?

It was the USB port on the TV.  I wasn't sure if that was part of it so I used a powered USB hub I had that isn't hooked up into a computer (and it has just power ports on it).  That is causing it to do the same thing.

If it can do this, then I'm assuming it's more of a software switch than a physical hardwired switch....like a power button on an Android tablet kind of thing.

At least that's my guess.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Tried journey escape for the first time since the update and the audio is fine on the splash screen, but once I start the game, the audio is slower and slightly distorted. Didn’t notice it prior to the update, so either I’m just inattentive and blinded by my love for all things Journey or there is an actual audio issue that occurred after the update. If someone else could try a copy and let me know, that’d be great. LOL 

Confirmed.  The music on Journey Escape is not emulating properly (during gameplay) on the 2600+.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alissa914 said:

The logo is lit but I just tested it and with it plugged in (to the TV directly or to an external powered hub), the unit is on.  You see the Atari logo, the "Load Failed" if there's no cartridge.  If there's a cartridge, then the game starts.

If I left it plugged in, it would just be "Load Game Failed" in red and just sit there since hotswapping games seems to be easily done.  I'll just get some external toggle switch from Amazon and just disconnect it that way.

It's not a huge power drain to where I'm that worried about it especially if it can still play games.

Good news is that it's not broken and unusable, so that's what's important. :)

There must be an additional power source🤔

Or the power switch has got a problem.

I just found why the logo in my case was always lit, which prevented me from flashing the device until I removed the hdmi cable!

But only the logo was lit, the console was not up and running, so it looked different to your case.

I had a Nintendo Switch Dock (not the official) connected via an hdmi switch to my TV input.

On same hdmi switch I had my Atari 2600+ cable connected. The power from the dock went out via hdmi to the splitter came back to the Atari and lit the logo, even it was switched of. 

I wouldn't believe it...

The dock should not send out power via hdmi and the switch is actual a splitter...

What's next? We're all living on a disc world?🙃 

1 hour ago, alissa914 said:

It was the USB port on the TV.  I wasn't sure if that was part of it so I used a powered USB hub I had that isn't hooked up into a computer (and it has just power ports on it).  That is causing it to do the same thing.

If it can do this, then I'm assuming it's more of a software switch than a physical hardwired switch....like a power button on an Android tablet kind of thing.

At least that's my guess.

If you have a power brick it might be worth a try. See if you get a different result.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 7:18 PM, AtariYMás009 said:

That's because the ghost's issue only happens with PAL pac-man, the NTSC works just fine

something went wrong with the 50 Hz implementation.

Ah, that explains some of the issues I'm seeing after upgrading to the beta 1.1 firmware. In Circus Convoy PAL, every 9-10 seconds the menu text only shows half of the scanlines for 5-6 seconds.

Maybe the 50Hz implementation was set to interlaced?

Edited by Dionoid

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Not sure. I'll ask. We are looking at it. 

I got a build today with PAL games capped at 50FPS but had a 60hz output and the missing sprites were gone. But this doesnt feel like a proper fix. Surely it has to be 50FPS at 50hz.

Below is a close-up video of the PAL 50Hz issue - it should always show both even and uneven scanlines of the inventory text in Circus Convoy. I'm pretty sure this is also causing the disappearing ghosts in Ms. Pac-Man.

@Ben from Plaion I'm not sure what you mean by "PAL games capped at 50FPS", as 50FPS is regular PAL, right? I'm sure you're aware that displaying 50FPS games at 60Hz makes the animation less smooth and is basically what the 1.0 firmware was already doing. A game which shows this clearly is Dodge 'Em - during the attract mode the horizontal animation of the cars should be super smooth both in NTSC and PAL.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

Just got a bunch of carts in from a eBay lot I purchased all of them so far work fine except for this xonox double ender ghost manor works spikes peak loads but does not allow you to play it no matter what tried other controller ports tried game select switch nothing

Tapeworm works space chase works strawberry shortcake works

Midnight magic works tunnel runner works qbert works still have a handful of Activision carts to clean and test but I imagine those should all work no problem but if not I'll report back

16 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

That's the problem. Auto-detection can fail. Usually the game properties or the user (command line or UI) correct this. Both is not possible with the 2600+

10 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's the problem. Auto-detection can fail. Usually the game properties or the user (command line or UI) correct this. Both is not possible with the 2600+

Sounds like the Stella on the 2600+ should be updated to correct this.

7 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

There must be an additional power source🤔

Or the power switch has got a problem.

I just found why the logo in my case was always lit, which prevented me from flashing the device until I removed the hdmi cable!

But only the logo was lit, the console was not up and running, so it looked different to your case.

I had a Nintendo Switch Dock (not the official) connected via an hdmi switch to my TV input.

On same hdmi switch I had my Atari 2600+ cable connected. The power from the dock went out via hdmi to the splitter came back to the Atari and lit the logo, even it was switched of. 

I wouldn't believe it...

The dock should not send out power via hdmi and the switch is actual a splitter...

What's next? We're all living on a disc world?🙃 

The way I see it, it plays games and if it's broken, it's in the on position.  It could be worse.  It could be in the off position.  :). I used the included cable on the TV and a power hub... unplugging HDMI or not... same thing.  We'll see how the reflashing goes tonight.

Lauren

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Robert Tank is still not working.  It loads up, but the start screen is scrolling and non-responsive. Xevious is now working for me, and so is Keystone Kapers, neither of which worked for me on the launch firmware.  So I'm definitely seeing some improvements.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Not sure. I'll ask. We are looking at it. 

I got a build today with PAL games capped at 50FPS but had a 60hz output and the missing sprites were gone. But this doesnt feel like a proper fix. Surely it has to be 50FPS at 50hz.

There are displays that only work in 60Hz even when a 50Hz input is fed. They do display the image but not at the right fps. Perhaps that's the issue some people are having?

• Like 1