IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

He said try 1 or 2, let's see tomorrow.

I'm happy to try out the version with audio.preset=2 or 3

45 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Sorry, my fault. Try 2 or 3. Or 1 (custom) with parameters from 2 or 3.

@Ben from Plaion Is it too late to ask for a build with audio.preset=3?

1 hour ago, Albert said:

I'm already sending him a package, so I can include a Penult cartridge. 

..Al

FWIW, I can confirm that the PRGE release of Penult does not work with the 2600+. The ROM cycles between "Loading Game" and "Loading Game Failed".

6 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

FWIW, I can confirm that the PRGE release of Penult does not work with the 2600+. The ROM cycles between "Loading Game" and "Loading Game Failed".

Yeah, it's not going to work with the current firmware, as it's a Melody-based game.

..Al

Not related to the 1.1 beta maybe the next alpha tho. Been playing impossible mission PAL 7800 on 1.0 and noticed some slight glitching when going up and down on elevators/lifts(UK)lol . interference across the middle of the screen. Is this a bug in the game or an emulation refresh rate issue? 🤔

21 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Not related to the 1.1 beta maybe the next alpha tho. Been playing impossible mission PAL 7800 on 1.0 and noticed some slight glitching when going up and down on elevators/lifts(UK)lol . interference across the middle of the screen. Is this a bug in the game or an emulation refresh rate issue? 🤔

Could you maybe show a video?

On V1.1 I did not see something strange when using the elevator in Impossible Mission.  Gonna play it longer tomorrow. 

I see some flicker when scrolling up in two other 7800 PAL games on V1.0 and V1.1:

I found flickering backgrounds in Commando (grey background in secret levels) when scrolling upwards.

In Midnight Mutants some bushes and the windows of the mansion are flickering when scrolling up.

This does not happen on real HW.

18 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Could you maybe show a video?

On V1.1 I did not see something strange when using the elevator in Impossible Mission.  Gonna play it longer tomorrow. 

I see some flicker when scrolling up in two other 7800 PAL games on V1.0 and V1.1:

I found flickering backgrounds in Commando (grey background in secret levels) when scrolling upwards.

In Midnight Mutants some bushes and the windows of the mansion are flickering when scrolling up.

This does not happen on real HW.

Looks like pixel shimmer to me caused by the game display not being scaled 1:1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

But anyway surely CPU power is not the issue because higher frame rates and hz work fine.

The CPU can have trouble keeping up. In the Bang! PAL50 demo part 7, the greetings part. emulation slows down considerably once the UFO launches and the colorful background animations appear. you can watch it here.

30 minutes ago, Blinky said:

The CPU can have trouble keeping up. In the Bang! PAL50 demo part 7, the greetings part. emulation slows down considerably once the UFO launches and the colorful background animations appear. you can watch it here.

Looks smooth as silk to me, but I haven't seen the game running on original hardware to compare.

Of course we all know you are right.

42 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Dr. Karnov showed me vid of Midnight Mutants PAL which looked the same on his TV. Commando PAL didn't work by that time, so we could not compare.

I could connect the 2600+ to the same TV of the real HW but expect the effect is not (only) TV related.

9 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Looks smooth as silk to me, but I haven't seen the game running on original hardware to compare.

Of course we all know you are right.

Compare with the Bang! demo video at YouTube. From the launch until the end of the stars effect, the 2600+ is lagging ~6 seconds.

1 hour ago, Blinky said:

It seems that when a lot of things are happening on the screen plus music is playing, that's when the CPU/GPU currently is not able to keep up. E.g. the intro screen of EPYX California Games on the 2600+ is slower than on original hardware.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for the audio preset changes to have a positive effect on performance...

Edited by Dionoid

CX22 works in joystick mode for games such as Freeway, but will not control 7800 Centipede TB in either trackball mode or joystick mode (not working in joystick mode does not surprise me)

Can anyone else confirm they are seeing the same problem? I really wanted to play Centipede TB.

Just got both going, but man is the cartridge slot a lot fussier than my 7800. With the original hardware, in and running in one go. With the plus (or maybe my plus) I have to try several times, even tilting the cartridge a bit (especially with Activision games). Is this a common experience? Is there a way to make this a bit more reliable to use?

Edited by TurboWesties

6 hours ago, TornadoTJ said:

CX22 works in joystick mode for games such as Freeway, but will not control 7800 Centipede TB in either trackball mode or joystick mode (not working in joystick mode does not surprise me)

Can anyone else confirm they are seeing the same problem? I really wanted to play Centipede TB.

TB is not supported on prosystem (7800 mode of 2600+), same with paddles. I hope that will change in the near future!

Edited by DEANJIMMY

4 hours ago, TurboWesties said:

Just got both going, but man is the cartridge slot a lot fussier than my 7800. With the original hardware, in and running in one go. With the plus (or maybe my plus) I have to try several times, even tilting the cartridge a bit (especially with Activision games). Is this a common experience? Is there a way to make this a bit more reliable to use?

Only cleaning the carts helps. Please read the thread about Activision carts or Cleaning carts.

After cleaning, my carts run fine when inserting them with both hands. But some carts fail on the plus while working on real HW and vice versa.

This is an individual thing to carts and slots.

Some people have with some of their carts bad luck.

10 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The flicker effect when scrolling Commando 7800 in a secret room on a Sony TV is less than on my Samsung but noticable (both in game mode).

My modded 7800 via Retrotink5x does not show this effect so strong.

Its the kind of graphics also but it gets boosted by emulation.

It is not such a big deal as the stutter 50Hz scrolling from River Raid 2600 is.

Vids:

2600+ Samsung

2600+ Sony

7800 Sony via Retrotink5x

Edited by DEANJIMMY