IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

1 hour ago, DirtyHairy said:

OK, I have spent a bit of my time with my 2600+ opened up and have a few things the share.

Great info!

So basically the current RetroArch/Stella setup won't be able to run most ARM-supported homebrews, even if the dumper could eventually dump their ROMs. Bugger. Hopefully that is fixable.

Edited by Dionoid

52 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I was just 998DD2EB-4DBC-491D-B865-E4039896E0E4.thumb.jpeg.c0d68505fb170bf9639e0fd57fd1240c.jpeggoing to unplug the LED to see if I could get more speed Lol!

Here is mine for comparison... I am not having performance problems so far.

IMG_2809.thumb.jpg.bb76ed499058f6f1a54fe1336e3ef383.jpg

ROCKCHIP RK3128 SDAUKA764 2318

SKhynix HSTQ2G63GFR RDC 113A NWMN19BAH1

KIOXIA UY5157 TAIWAN 21179AE TC58NVG1S3HTA00

What is that USB connector on the bottom right for?

Edited by chad5200
  • Like 1

[root@rk312x:~]# killall S50launcher & killall retroarch & killall -9 dmenu.bin
killall: S50launcher: no process killed
killall: dmenu.bin: no process killed
[3]+  Done                       killall retroarch
[2]+  Done(1)                    killall S50launcher
[root@rk312x:~]# /oem/vendor/bin/retroarch -c /tmp/retroarch.cfg -L /oem/retroarch/cores/stella_libretro.so /media/usb0/Berzerk.bin &
[1]-  Done                       /oem/vendor/bin/retroarch -c /tmp/retroarch.cfg -L /oem/retroarch/cores/stella_libretro.so /media/usb0/Berzerk.bin
[root@rk312x:~]# File open/read error2
allenT=60
arm_release_ver of this libMali is r7p0-00rel0, rk_so_ver is '2', built at '15:17:56', on 'Jul 16 2020'.
Post Color Buffer Success

image.thumb.png.0d5b726c7a0b520f08bc25c5d1149da1.png

Bingo, and then there was Berzerk from USB : )  Now to test some other things...

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: @Blinky, @DirtyHairy and I have the same RAM chips (Hynix H5TQ2G63GFR-RDC) in our consoles.

Mine also is Hynix H5TQ2G63GFR-RDC

• Like 1

@Ben from Plaion

I'm sorry to bother you again, but do you know if the version of Maze Craze included in the 10 Games In 1 cartridge is actually the NTSC version?

I'm running into a new issue with the beta firmware where the game refuses to display on my TV ~90% of the time, and I suspect it has something to do with the PAL changes.  I never ran into this issue on the v1.0 firmware, and I've verified the cartridge still works on my NTSC 7800 with RF output.  The PAL colors for Maze Craze are pretty similar to the NTSC version so I'm honestly not sure if the colors are wrong, and this is in fact the PAL version.  I don't have any other PAL games to test, sadly.  Lastly, all of the other games in the 10-in-1 cartridge work fine.  Video attached.

Edited by KainXavier

4 hours ago, desiv said:

I'm sure this isn't it, but just thinking out loud...

Is everyone using the the same power adapter to power the unit?

I just know that with some of my Raspberry Pis, if my PSU isn't quite up to the task, it can slow down the CPU to cope...

I had the same problem with my Raspberry pi. That’s why i was asking also! I needed 5v 3amp for my Raspberry pi now it’s running great!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

So I was watching tear down of the 2600+ on YouTube. The Rockchip has a different number from mine.

So...

'youtube'          RK3128    SDAUKH522 2318
chad5200         RK3128    SDAUKA764 2318
MrChickenz       RK3128    SDAUM3293 2318
remowilliams    RK3128    SDAUM3293 2318

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

So...

'youtube'          RK3128    SDAUKH522 2318
chad5200         RK3128    SDAUKA764 2318
MrChickenz       RK3128    SDAUM3293 2318
remowilliams    RK3128    SDAUM3293 2318

Worth pointing out chad5200 is NOT having performance issues.  While MrChickenz and remowilliams are having performance issues.

@DirtyHairy what is your CPU?

Edited by chad5200
  • Like 1

I also have something to contribute for the missing sprite issue, and the game's probably one that many of us have on-hand.

The spikes in Mr. Run and Jump will sometimes disappear.  I observed it on the first level.  Please see the attached video for the exact screen.

Edit: I meant to add that this issue was observed on the v1.1 beta firmware.  I also tested on real hardware and did not observe the issue.

Edited by KainXavier

2 hours ago, DirtyHairy said:

If anyone cares to look, you can find the CPU and GPU clock values used by the scaling governors by doing "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_available_frequencies" and "cat /sys/devices/platform/10091000.gpu/devfreq/10091000.gpu/available_frequencies" (after opening a terminal over the serial connection). I doubt that this differs between devices, though.

[root@rk312x:~]# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_available_frequencies
216000 408000 600000 696000 816000 1008000 1200000
[root@rk312x:~]# cat /sys/devices/platform/10091000.gpu/devfreq/10091000.gpu/available_frequencies
200000000 300000000 400000000 480000000

We should probably move all the hardware prodding/out of band testing into a thread other than this update one...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KainXavier said:

I also have something to contribute for the missing sprite issue, and the game's probably one that many of us have on-hand.

The spikes in Mr. Run and Jump will sometimes disappear.  I observed it on the first level.  Please see the attached video for the exact screen.

I noticed that on mine also!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Great info!

So basically the current RetroArch/Stella setup won't be able to run most ARM-supported homebrews, even if the dumper could eventually dump their ROMs. Bugger. Hopefully that is fixable.

Oh man this better not be the case. This needs to be fixed in a bad way…. Or that might be it for me with this system. This would be a big deal for me

Edited by TurboWesties

any new firmwares or update files to test out? i have a bunch more carts im buying tomorrow and would be willing to try something newer than 1.1 if there is anything available thats in a stable enough state to allow the public to try

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 8:47 AM, DirtyHairy said:

Afaik the OTG port of the rk3128 is exposed on the 2600+ USB port (the one used to connect the power brick), this is how the firmware is updated. I have not tried (nor do I want to try 😏), but I am pretty sure that the OTG controller is supported by linux --- should be only a matter of kernel config, and then you can attach a thumb drive with a Y cable.

That's how I update my Flashback Atari50 version of the Atari 2600, yup!

7 hours ago, chad5200 said:

What is on the left side of the Rockchip, DRAM?

RDC 113 seems to be better/faster than 114?

At least based on the few reports which are not enough for any statistics.

@Ben from Plaion Do you have Kangaroo NTSC to dupe the disappearing 2600 sprites?

Does it happen to PAL carts too? It happens to PAL Frogger on my 2600+ (frog on long wood in the river dispappears) but hard to say if it is 50Hz output or CPU load hits the roof or DRAM can't follow 🤔 H.E.R.O PAL runs fine.

If the problem can be duped, it is worth to compare parts on the  mother board. I am not sure if the few NTSC sprite or stutter issues are related to high SN #, as players from the US would have them anyway. A little way up in this thread are pictures and numbers to be found. My 2600+, having the sprite issue with Frogger PAL, has got a very low SN (1340).

Regarding >90% Stella CPU load:

Hopefully it can be tuned to only affect ARM carts, as a change regarding Retroarch would be a huge task I guess.

90% of my testing was related to Prosystem, mainly 7800 PAL carts and a few NTSC. I did not spot such performance issues for 7800 games.

The little flicker on scrolling in some games might go away if the hdmi ouput is 60Hz even for PAL games and/or finally get 1080p.

Looks like the 7800 emulation is very close to be good, which makes me happy🤙

The Kangaroo discussion is a big concern right now. If it is chip related, hopefully not so many of the "bad" ones were used or the performance drop is not so significant that a workaround in SW would be possible 😬

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Great info!

I would not hold my breath. instead what I would start asking of the publishers and game developers is if they would specifically target the 2600 Plus compatibility in future. This is my personal wish as a game player and consumer of such games.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TurboWesties said:

Oh man this better not be the case. This needs to be fixed in a bad way…. Or that might be it for me with this system. This would be a big deal for me

It absolutely is the case and it should not be surprising anybody because it has been known for a long time.

I am not hopeful for a fix based on what I've observed here and the statements from the people who work at those companies. it just doesn't seem like there is a lot of desire to address it. I don't even know if it's possible with the resources that have been allocated.

Thankfully it only affects a minuscule amount of Homebrew games.

They do happen to be desirable games but they are also games that are not really possible without specialized chips so that makes me think they're somewhat not real games for the 2600 if you catch my drift.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Small correction... there is a typo in the SK hynix numbers... should be:

SK hynix H5TQ2G63GFR RDC 113A NWMN19BAH1

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

It absolutely is the case and it should not be surprising anybody because it has been known for a long time.

I am not hopeful for a fix based on what I've observed here and the statements from the people who work at those companies. it just doesn't seem like there is a lot of desire to address it. I don't even know if it's possible with the resources that have been allocated.

Thankfully it only affects a minuscule amount of Homebrew games.

They do happen to be desirable games but they are also games that are not really possible without specialized chips so that makes me think they're somewhat not real games for the 2600 if you catch my drift.

Right, the effort to fix ARM carts might be too high, even it would be nice!

The ARM games could be ported to the 7800 platform and running on the 2600+ if compliant wit hthe prosystem emulation.

But sprite issues with normal 2600 games should be fixed, as it might even affect new official Mr. Jump and Run?

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

I would not hold my breath. instead what I would start asking of the publishers and game developers is if they would specifically target the 2600 Plus compatibility in future. This is my personal wish as a game player and consumer of such games.

Currently 2600+ compatibility for ARM games means 2600+ compatibility only (the carts will not work in a real 2600). Very bad idea, IMO. And as of now, the 2600+ is way too slow to handle them anyway.

Also, as a homebrew developer, I am strictly against targeting development towards incompatible hardware. 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Great info!

It is definitely fixable. Rebuilding with PGO (and LTO if it hasn't been enabled) should give considerable improvement, as switching on a few defines that switch ARM emulation to faster and slightly less safe code paths. PGO isn't entirely trivial to automate though, as you have to run the application to generate a profile. Stella can be run in a special headless profiling mode for that at the commandline, but RA... 🤷‍♂️ Maybe using the profiles generated with Stella would work, as the relevant parts of Stella don't differ between RA and ordinary builds.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Worth pointing out chad5200 is NOT having performance issues.  While MrChickenz and remowilliams are having performance issues.

@DirtyHairy what is your CPU?

I'll check later. I also saw documentation from Rockchip that explains the various markings, but I can't seem to find it again just now. However, I think this number may identify a batch. I wonder what the 113A and 114A on the DRAM chip is, that's the only difference between "good" and "bad" consoles that stands out.

• Like 2