IGNORED

Pitfall noise

SirEdward

Disappearing sprites and audio clicking could both be indicators of an issue with the CPU not being able to process things fast enough.  The CPU should be fast enough (similar hardware to the Retron77), but there might be some issue preventing it from running properly.  It might be overheating or something.  That could apply to either the main CPU and/or the RAM.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 11:59 AM, splendidnut said:

Disappearing sprites and audio clicking could both be indicators of an issue with the CPU not being able to process things fast enough.  The CPU should be fast enough (similar hardware to the Retron77), but there might be some issue preventing it from running properly.  It might be overheating or something.  That could apply to either the main CPU and/or the RAM.

I’d find it odd that only Pitfall! out of all the carts, creates an overheating situation.  Especially since the clicking sound is immediate once the game starts. 

1 hour ago, MikeM_ said:

I’d find it odd that only Pitfall! out of all the carts, creates an overheating situation.  Especially since the clicking sound is immediate once the game starts. 

I was not trying to imply that the game specifically was causing an overheating situation.  But that the system was experiencing a general issue and throttling the CPU to the point where it couldn't run fast enough to keep the audio buffer populated.

3 hours ago, jasonw said:

Here are three different monitors, three different HDMI cables and two different power cables. Two different  pitfall cartridges have been tried.

It's not the monitor.  It's not the cable.  It's not the power supply.

I believe this is being worked on by Plaion.  I would hope it's a higher priority as Pitfall is such an iconic game that most people have.

• Like 1

It’s interesting that it makes a different sound, like different rhythm and speed, on different TVs. (Unless you get that same variation on just a single tv too.)

8 hours ago, jasonw said:

Here are three different monitors, three different HDMI cables and two different power cables. Two different  pitfall cartridges have been tried. Beyond annoying. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed many Atari games (and some other games on various other consoles) will have sounds when they likely shouldn't have, especially on quiet scenes or with the tv somewhat loud. Considering especially Atari doesn't exactly have dedicated sound and video hardware, and severely limited ram, often sharing processing power to do everything. Its kind of like how you can get marginally better sound out of the old girl by handing video processing to sound as well, such as in games that feature speach, like berserk ve. Ill need to dig out a pitfall and see if I notice ticking, but even on actual hardware I notice a slight buzzing on lots of games.

41 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

If I even turn on my CRT TV, my kids clench their teeth and run out of the room. They say it makes a horrible sound...but I can't hear it at all.

I could always hear the CRT whine as a kid, and knew when a TV was on, but it never bothered me.

Also I wonder if there was a certain production run where all these Pitfall problems come from? Like a different configuration of the cart hardware?

My copy, although stained to Hell with the usual bad glue problem on the label, works perfectly with none of these clicking, flashing, or heating issues.

Worst I had to do was clean it to launch. Once I did, plays fine. Might be a similar situation to all the Smurf carts, where one production run works, but one has problems.

Edited by Varanis Ridari

14 hours ago, Varanis Ridari said:

Might be a similar situation to all the Smurf carts, where one production run works, but one has problems.

My Pitfall runs perfect. Is it easy to tell production runs of the Smurf cart apart? This is one I would like to pick up for my collection, but I'd like to get one that will work.

5 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

My Pitfall runs perfect. Is it easy to tell production runs of the Smurf cart apart? This is one I would like to pick up for my collection, but I'd like to get one that will work.

It’s not too easy. 

one of the posts mentioned looking at the contacts, but one of my other Coleco carts that works has the same contact layout so I’m not sure it’s that simple. 

I'm just hoping that Ben’s team will figure out all the Coleco oddities so we don’t have to go on a blind search for a working copy (or just give up on those games that don’t work). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

From what I read in a different thread, there were 3 revisions of many white cart Coleco 2600 games, and 2 of those work in the 2600+ while one doesn't. It's the same issue folks have with Donkey Kong Jr. too.

Sadly, I think the only way to know is to punch the label and unscrew the cart, as it's somewhere on the PCB. If you're buying from eBay, that probably renders the game unreturnable, making it an expensive lottery system to randomly buy the "right" one.

So I've chosen to sit on my Smurf cart and await Ben to figure out the firmware issues on it, rather than try to buy up every copy until I get one that launches.

I just picked up a copy of Pitfall and have the same ticking issue. 
I cleaned the hell out of it before I even put it in the first time. 
The label had pretty much fallen off so I cleaned it again with some DeoxIT and still has the same issue

4 hours ago, Fafner said:

I cleaned the hell out of it before I even put it in the first time. 
The label had pretty much fallen off so I cleaned it again with some DeoxIT and still has the same issue

The ticking in Pitfall is not a problem with your cartridge.  It is a problem with the 2600+ itself. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 2:24 PM, Fafner said:

I'm going to do a +1 on this.. I'm pretty sure this is a 2600+ issue.. not a cart issue.

I had the same thing happen with Home Run Baseball. 

1 hour ago, daorriss said:

I'm going to do a +1 on this.. I'm pretty sure this is a 2600+ issue.. not a cart issue.

I had the same thing happen with Home Run Baseball. 

I personally tested a fix for the clicking issue with Pitfall and can confirm the issue is resolved and should be part of the next beta release. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...