IGNORED

Pitfall noise

SirEdward

I got a 2600+ for Christmas and I brought Pitfall.  Some reason i am getting a tap tap sound.  You can see it in the video.
   I brought the game back to the local store and we tried out a another cartridge and the same thing happened.   Any idea what this could be or is anybody else having this issue?  

Thanks.

ed

1 hour ago, tmop69 said:

I've just updated to the V1.1Beta and I have now the same noise with Pitfall NTSC. I've not used an original cart, but a multicard I've made (brand new pcb and eprom). With the 1.0 it was working fine, without any noise.

Bummer about that strange noise issue. Thanks for the info.

I was sort of considering to update the 2600+ firmware with the current beta, but I figured it would be best to wait until feedback came in about it and that a stable release build was ready which will hopefully have fixes for various issues (such as the strange noise with Pitfall that's maybe caused by the beta update). As Pitfall is one of my fav 2600 games I have, and most of my current games collection I don't really have any issues with, I think for the time being I'll just stay with the default v1 build of the firmware that the 2600+ shipped installed with.

Edited by MysticSword

2 hours ago, MysticSword said:

Bummer about that strange noise issue. Thanks for the info.

I was sort of considering to update the 2600+ firmware with the current beta, but I figured it would be best to wait until feedback came in about it and that a stable release build was ready which will hopefully have fixes for various issues (such as the strange noise with Pitfall that's maybe caused by the beta update). As Pitfall is one of my fav 2600 games I have, and most of my current games collection I don't really have any issues with, I think for the time being I'll just stay with the default v1 build of the firmware that the 2600+ shipped installed with.

I might wait as well.  After looking at the instructions for the update, it's more involved than I thought.  I was hoping there were less steps to do the update.  Maybe when the final version is out, the update process will be simpler. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I might wait as well.  After looking at the instructions for the update, it's more involved than I thought.  I was hoping there were less steps to do the update.  Maybe when the final version is out, the update process will be simpler. 

Don't be afraid, it's not that difficult. Some of it (installing the device driver) only has to be done once. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

I wonder why Pitfall makes a weird noise for so many of you. Mine behaves totally normally. Are there different versions of the cart?

I’d kinda love to get a good recording of that sound to sample and maybe try to use it in a music composition. (The first post’s audio is unusable for that since there’s radio or something playing  in the background.)

It's not the cart fault. I made a cart that worked perfectly fine with my Atari 2600+ unit, but not with the friend's unit.

I suspect the problem appears on some 2600+ <-> HDMI <-> TV combinations... But I have no idea to be honest...

5 minutes ago, Dalton said:

I suspect the problem appears on some 2600+ <-> HDMI <-> TV combinations... But I have no idea to be honest...

You may be on to something. I have a Collectorvision Phoenix and there are known issues with some modern tvs with regard to sound. My issue was similar to this pitfall sound. By the way none of these Phoenix issues has ever been resolved even though it's been years but that's another subject

4 hours ago, Dalton said:

It's not the cart fault. I made a cart that worked perfectly fine with my Atari 2600+ unit, but not with the friend's unit.

I just tried my Pitfall cart on a different TV and different HDMI cable with same result.  When playing on my Atari Jr (hooked up RCA to coax adapter) I noticed this Pitfall cart seems to have more static in the video and audio compared to my other carts.  I'm beginning to think it's something with the cartridge causing the sound.

Edited by GcMcM
Correction: RCA to Coax

• 2 weeks later...

There was something in another thread about PitFall using a different register for silent than 99.9% of other games. I believe some copies of HERO have this problem too. The PitFall sound sounds to me the same as Choplifter 7800s chopper. It sucks because my 2600+ suffers from it (I have tried different carts, different cables and monitors,) and PitFall is the game I most wanted to play :(

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 11:15 AM, GcMcM said:

I just tried my Pitfall cart on a different TV and different HDMI cable with same result.  

Well that rules that out, I guess.

Are there different versions of the Pitfall cart? That could explain why some people get the weird sound and others do not.

Maybe someone with the weird sound could send their Pitfall cart to @Ben from Plaion for testing…Would that be appropriate?

Edited by Glorkbot

9 hours ago, jasonw said:

There was something in another thread about PitFall using a different register for silent than 99.9% of other games. I believe some copies of HERO have this problem too.

Yes. It affects Fishing Derby too. It's definitely not a problem with cartridge cleanliness or HDMI.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

Are there different versions of the Pitfall cart? That could explain why some people get the weird sound and others do not.

Maybe someone with the weird sound could send their Pitfall cart to @Ben from Plaion for testing…Would that be appropriate?

If he wants to do that, I'd be willing to send mine.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

I am afraid it would make more sense to send the console...

A few people always have the noise issue even with different carts and if so, they have more disappearing sprites than the majority🤔

9 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I am afraid it would make more sense to send the console...

A few people always have the noise issue even with different carts and if so, they have more disappearing sprites than the majority🤔

Maybe they'd need to look at a cart and the console, then.

• Like 1