IGNORED

Altirra64: saving modified disk image?

Hi!

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

BTW, it'd be nice if the emulator would give an option to save the updates upon exit.

Perhaps you could try reading the help of the emulator?

Hint: right of the menu that was shown in the shot above.

Have Fun!

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2023 at 9:43 PM, dmsc said:

Hi!

Perhaps you could try reading the help of the emulator?

Hint: right of the menu that was shown in the shot above.

Have Fun!

I think what he means is auto-save like in APE.  I didn't find anything like that mentioned in the Altirra HELP.  Altirra can be a little overwhelming.  Especially if you are not a steady user.  

2 hours ago, Larry said:

I think what he means is auto-save like in APE.  I didn't find anything like that mentioned in the Altirra HELP.  Altirra can be a little overwhelming.  Especially if you are not a steady user.  

Something like auto-saving every few minutes? That could be big trouble, even if it's smart enough to only autosave when the filesystem is in a consistent state. Something could open a file for reading or perhaps for append to reserve space, map its sectors, close it, then do direct sector writes. An autosaved disk image could then have a consistent filesystem state but that individual file would be corrupt.

No, not that kind of autosave. Probably autosave is not a very good description.  If you modify a disk image and then unmount it, the modified form is returned to its origin.  You don't have to take any additional actions.  The original version is history, unless you have a backup.  There are pro's and con's to both methods. As if you put a real disk in a drive and modify it, that's what you have.

Hi!

8 hours ago, Larry said:

No, not that kind of autosave. Probably autosave is not a very good description.  If you modify a disk image and then unmount it, the modified form is returned to its origin.  You don't have to take any additional actions.  The original version is history, unless you have a backup.  There are pro's and con's to both methods. As if you put a real disk in a drive and modify it, that's what you have.

I don't understand, that is exactly how Altirra works if you set the image to "R/W", just there in the disk-drives window. And this is not the default because people tend to overwrite it's images in this mode 😛 

Have Fun!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dmsc said:

I don't understand, that is exactly how Altirra works if you set the image to "R/W", just there in the disk-drives window. And this is not the default because people tend to overwrite it's images in this mode 😛

R/W is autosaved, in that any writes to the emulated disk are committed to backing store within a short time. The request, as I understand it, is for the emulator not to autosave, but to only save when explicitly requested, so as to not capture intermediate disk states with partially written files. The disk subsystem supports this, it's the UI that automatically flips the mode from VRW to R/W when saving the disk. It's a niche use case, but I could see a use for it.

I have a few other relevant ideas I've been kicking around. One idea I have been kicking around is implementing an automatic backup system for disks, so in the event that a disk does become corrupted you can open a historical snapshot. Another is adding fsck to the Disk Explorer, so it can fix damaged disks instead of just blocking writes when it sees inconsistent disk structures. Third, extending the virtual disks to support writing (SDFS would be pretty hairy, DOS 2 likely not so bad).

• Like 3

IIRC, the problem was that the emulator asked me if I wanted to quit anyway without saving the changes to the disk image.  I assumed from that that the emulator didn't automatically save any changes made to the image.  I want the changes made to commit immediately or at least on disk change or emulator exit.

11 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

IIRC, the problem was that the emulator asked me if I wanted to quit anyway without saving the changes to the disk image.

The only time that happens is if you create a new disk and don't save it before you exit, which is correct as you haven't

named the .atr yet, so it's only in memory.

Other than that, all writes to an image are saved always 

21 hours ago, phaeron said:

R/W is autosaved, in that any writes to the emulated disk are committed to backing store within a short time. The request, as I understand it, is for the emulator not to autosave, but to only save when explicitly requested, so as to not capture intermediate disk states with partially written files. The disk subsystem supports this, it's the UI that automatically flips the mode from VRW to R/W when saving the disk. It's a niche use case, but I could see a use for it.

[Other interesting ideas elided]

Yup yup yup, I'd like shortcuts analogous to, 1. "Begin Tran": Put all mounted disks in vrw or vrwsafe mode, 2. "Commit Tran": Check all the modified disks for consistency and if the check passes, write out the changes and return the disks to vrw,  and last but not least, 3. "Rollback Tran": Discard all disk data changes as if nothing had happened. I'm afraid my dBase envy from back when I had an Atari but not yet an x86 PC never really went away 😂

What does BEGIN TRAN, ROLLBACK TRAN, and COMMIT TRAN mean?