IGNORED

2600 Homebrewers & Stella's properties

Thomas Jentzsch

The current 2600+ firmware does not offer an UI to change any settings. If your homebrew relies on special settings (e.g. PAL-60 or phosphor effect), only Stella's built-in properties can help here. For that, Stella has to know the game and use its properties. But for many games, the final ROM has not been released. So we cannot add the game ourselves. Also, it is almost impossible for us to keep track with all released homebrews. So if you want your game added, we need your help!

Start your game in Stella, go to the Game properties and edit them at your will (Note: If the auto detection is correct, please do not overwrite it). You may also want to add game information like author, distributor and a link (e.g. to the AtariAge store or a game homepage). After you are done, press 'Export...' to save the game properties and post the file here.

image.png.48598a8ffdd50384a98ac6cf6ffc7dac.png

We will make sure that your game's properties will be added in the next Stella release.

Note: Currently, for the 2600+, the property loading will not work for any bankswitched games which use a scheme with the hotspots in the ROM area (e.g. F8). This may change in the future. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Note: Currently, for the 2600+, the property loading will not work for any bankswitched games which use a scheme with the hotspots in the ROM area (e.g. F8). This may change in the future. Fingers crossed!

Hi Thomas, I'll send you the game properties for my games. The rom of my F8 game (Tower of Rubble) has $00 values in the hotspot addresses; do you know if the 2600+ dumper reads these hotspot values as-is when dumping the rom? 

16 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Hi Thomas, I'll send you the game properties for my games. The rom of my F8 game (Tower of Rubble) has $00 values in the hotspot addresses; do you know if the 2600+ dumper reads these hotspot values as-is when dumping the rom? 

AFAIK not, it reads each value. And the values returned from hotspots are more or less random.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

35 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Here are the game properties for Amoeba Jump, Tower of Rubble and Lode Runner:

dionoid game properties.zip 2.34 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks!

I noticed that you set the display format NTSC. Are these detected wrong by Stella?

The Atari 2600+ use Retroarch so does not have all the settings that Stella has because it uses a core(a copy of the main emulator) and plus its 3rd party if you think about it so made by the Retroarch Team not the Stella Team so somethings that are added to Stella is not added to Retroarch core straight way or even if they are and a Retroarch core is not the same as using Stella the Emulator, its complete different, I added the Retroarch Core Hatari Atari ST Emulator into PCUAE because I could not use the main emulator so had to use Retroarch so not all its settings are available so you can not do everything you would be able to do in the main emulator, Retroarch is like MESS, Retroarch is limited by its GUI and the commands you can use.

Plus the Atari2600+ uses a older version of Retroarch 1.7.4 same as in PCUAE(1.7.0), its the only one I got working because of THEC64 Mini's 256mb RAM, this has the same problem, a new version of Retroarch would be to big for its ram and it would crash, it has to load Retroarch first then the core, with 1.9.6 it only got to loading Retroarch half way then ran out of memory so killed it.

42 minutes ago, Spanner said:

The Atari 2600+ use Retroarch so does not have all the settings that Stella has because it uses a core(a copy of the main emulator) and plus its 3rd party if you think about it so made by the Retroarch Team not the Stella Team so somethings that are added to Stella is not added to Retroarch core straight way or even if they are and a Retroarch core is not the same as using Stella the Emulator, its complete different, I added the Retroarch Core Hatari Atari ST Emulator into PCUAE because I could not use the main emulator so had to use Retroarch so not all its settings are available so you can not do everything you would be able to do in the main emulator, Retroarch is like MESS, Retroarch is limited by its GUI and the commands you can use.

Plus the Atari2600+ uses a older version of Retroarch 1.7.4 same as in PCUAE(1.7.0), its the only one I got working because of THEC64 Mini's 256mb RAM, this has the same problem, a new version of Retroarch would be to big for its ram and it would crash, it has to load Retroarch first then the core, with 1.9.6 it only got to loading Retroarch half way then ran out of memory so killed it.

Nick, check your DMs please.

51 minutes ago, Spanner said:

I added the Retroarch Core Hatari Atari ST Emulator into PCUAE because I could not use the main emulator so had to use Retroarch so not all its settings are available so you can not do everything you would be able to do in the main emulator, Retroarch is like MESS, Retroarch is limited by its GUI and the commands you can use.

bbbradsmith did an amazing new port of Hatari to Libretro if you haven't seen that already.  Much better than that unpleasant creaky old one.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spanner said:

The Atari 2600+ use Retroarch so does not have all the settings that Stella has because it uses a core(a copy of the main emulator) and plus its 3rd party if you think about it so made by the Retroarch Team not the Stella Team so somethings that are added to Stella is not added to Retroarch core straight way or even if they are and a Retroarch core is not the same as using Stella the Emulator, its complete different

That's a problem we are facing for a long time. There are even two independent development branches. Quite a mess.

But not up to the Stella team to solve.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1