IGNORED

The final physical version of Dottie Flowers is coming soon

If you don't want to see/read my threads and comments or hear about Colour Blasting, you can [on desktop at least] click the red Ignore This Topic button at the top-right of any of my threads and also hover the cursor over my name/icon in any of my posts to bring up a box that lets you click Ignore there too. These options exist for precisely this reason. You are responsible and accountable for your own choices and actions either way.

Damn son, how many times are you going to update this? What's next, you'll change "Colour Blasting" with "Dottie Flowers"?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to play the demo. It's a lovely game. Feels polished. Game design is pretty good. Hidden stuff, gain new abilities, map system for back tracking.

And of course, I took a look at the game on a technical level too. So it looks like the game developers took into account the weird SNES cell reverse-priority dropout mechanism. They put the explosions and such above/in-front of the player and enemies, so that they drop out first rather than the player and important details. Normally this isn't a good idea because it basically covers up the things you need to look at, but since the game is pretty much guaranteed to drop these cells when it gets heavy with sprites - it works out. I.e. the game basically relies on the sprite drop out happening in heavy sprite use areas. It's an interesting approach. I did see some slowdown.. one of the bosses (I won't spoil it, but the one with the "thrust" coming down at you). Strange, because the rest of the game seems to keep up.. with seemingly more visual stuff happening on screen in other areas than this boss. Sprite setup is 32x32 and 8x8. A bit weird, but most of the sprite work is designed around single 32x32 sizes - this include bullets/explosions from the main character as well as enemies. Saves on some processing time too vs doing 16x16|8x8 setup. The sound FX are nice (with some bass to the explosions). The music is fitting, but nothing that stands out, or blows you away / would listen to outside the game.

Art style is pretty good. It makes good use of the 15bit palette, but without all the 'pillow' shading and such. Minimal color usage paired with good use of the 15bit palette.. a modern retro look. I like it! Has some hdma "copper" effects thrown in, too (that's an Amiga reference that made that effect super popular).

• Like 2