IGNORED

"Cyborg Warriors": conversion for Atari 8-bits in development

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reporting on this. Your articles also give me a chance to see how much of my college Spanish I still remember. 

Unlike German, Polish, or Czech (which I do not know at all), I can normally understand most of your articles without relying on the Safari built-in translation feature. 

The game definitely reminds me of Xybex, but I am looking forward to it anyway. 

Bob C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a quick 2min play on altirra with the keyboard control. I have to say at first I was a little sceptical given I am a huge A8 Zybex fan and the Zybex gameplay and graphics are iconic, as is the music.

However this BBC port of the same genre game is a nice horizontlal shooter to play. :)  I like the parallax scrolling, and the enemy attach patterns are actually deceptively tricky at times. I thought it would be really predicable in that respect and they actually creep up on you. Some coming from below. Will definitely have a good play over the next few days.

Kudos to the coders. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

I guess that the same thing that is true for Zybex, is also true for Cyborg Warriors (and similar shooters):

1 player is somewhat harder -while- 2 players is somewhat easier.

Why ? With two players you have the double amount of shots, but not the double amount of enemies. 

Simple cheat: Since I almost always play alone on my A8, I will simply choose a two player game, where player two is not controlled but shooting with autofire (with Quickshot II, which has autofire). Luckily the same thing can be done to Bruce Lee... ;-)

This is a great game. Very playable and very nicely improved over the BBC original.

Although I really like Zybex I find Cyborg Warriors even a bit better. This game offers more graphical detail and in total is closer to genre title like Nemesis, RType, Forgotten Worlds, etc.

So thank you very much for this! It was worth the effort. It will be played for sure, especially the 2 player mode is just perfect and is great for training young Atarians :)

Edited by twh/f2
  • Like 1

Here is a packed version of the game (51K instead of 106K). Normally I use page 4 and page 5 as buffer and depacker for Exomizer, but this did not work here, the program crashed during loading. So this time I used $B000 and $B200 for buffer and depacker and this seems to work. (Let me know, if you encounter bugs or errors with the packed file.)

Cyb_Exo.atr Cyb_Exo.xex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Cyborg Warriors on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 2

On Level 5 you get these vicious-looking robot heads. Now these are what the original Pac-Man character should have looked like. :D

[Edit]

Or may he could turn into this character after eating a power pellet.

robotpac-man.thumb.png.ef4c3ec8b60d656010be2f416c57fa70.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 5 months later...