IGNORED

Milan 040 question about price evaluation

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I think either @lp060 or @alanh had sound working at some point in the past.  I know lp's Hades machines are non-functional and the drives inaccessible and last I heard alanh had 2 Hades back working but haven't checked with him if his sound is working?  I think lp is the best chance to figure this out if his drive(s) could be cloned so the files could be checked.  But I think he's hesitant to mess with them for fear of breaking them.

I was somewhat cavalier with looking and messing with the Hades that came my why, but actually has been very resilient, trying out the couple of graphics cards I have now, but I have pulled RAM in and out more than I would have liked, trying to diagnose why all of it was not recognised, unfortunate it was a bad module, all good now nonetheless.  I am going to have to try getting sound (aside from the internal speaker YM) from the ES1371, also MV16 remake from DoG which slipped my mind.

4 hours ago, mikro said:

Fingers crossed, guys. I'd love to find someone with working sound on Hades to make sure that my XBIOS routines work properly there (they should but you never know).

This is the very page I was looking at when I decided to get an ES1371 and MV16, so thank you for pooling this resource, particularly in this instance for the GSXB, MagicMac Sound and STFA resources, which hopefully will prove useful to play with.

Edited by Atari74user

21 hours ago, Zogging Hell said:

I'd prefer a 'desktopper' style top that fits on the original Falcon base myself (or a genius to come up with a CT60/ Ethernat/ Supervidel all in one combo that is small enough to fit in a real case and can fit all its ouputs through the holes left by the PSU removal).

I had a Desktopper case on my Falcon 030 at one point in time. I loved it.   :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I think either @lp060 or @alanh had sound working at some point in the past.  I know lp's Hades machines are non-functional and the drives inaccessible and last I heard alanh had 2 Hades back working but haven't checked with him if his sound is working?  I think lp is the best chance to figure this out if his drive(s) could be cloned so the files could be checked.  But I think he's hesitant to mess with them for fear of breaking them.

I didn't do anything magical back in the day. All I did was install Odd's drivers/software. 😉
Did have to use Odd's configuration dialog and manually set everything every time I booted as it didn't remember the settings.

Edited by lp060

43 minutes ago, lp060 said:

I didn't do anything magical back in the day. All I did was install Odd's drivers/software. 😉
Did have to use Odd's configuration dialog and manually set everything every time I booted as it didn't remember the settings.

Strange because you're one of the few to report it working.  I think you had a later production model Hades right?  Maybe it involved your chipset versions. 

I bought it just before he stopped selling them.  It didn't work unless I opened that configuration dialog and set the options. I assume you tried that though more than once. Also had EDO ram, don't know if that played a roll.

Edited by lp060

On 1/16/2024 at 2:33 AM, leech said:

Outside of the Floppy Drive, there isn't anything on the right side of it though, right?  And that would be rerouted to the front of the tower.  The motherboard would just sit on the opposite side of a typical tower.  Then again, the rack mount kit I have reroutes the cartridge / midi ports as well.

How does the cartridge port reroute? Does it add buffering? (sorry going way off topic here). Does it reroute the joystick ports as well? Questions questions sorry! :)

4 hours ago, Zogging Hell said:

How does the cartridge port reroute? Does it add buffering? (sorry going way off topic here). Does it reroute the joystick ports as well? Questions questions sorry! :)

I would have to open it up, can do that later, but this is the back of that case.  I don't remember it having anything other than a cable attached to a cart plug.

20240117_103312.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 12:36 PM, leech said:

I would have to open it up, can do that later, but this is the back of that case.  I don't remember it having anything other than a cable attached to a cart plug.

There was a separate ribbon cable kit that Wizztonics sold to bring the Falcon's cartridge port to the connector on the back of the Falcon Rack's case. I had one.

The first picture here shows just what yours does from the rear (sorry for the low quality - this was in 2004). The 2nd picture shows the ribbon with the plug

inserted into the Falcon motherboard's cartridge port and running to the rear plane of the Falcon Rack. Worked great.  HTH's.  :)

falcon3.thumb.jpg.3887f21187b046a3e93cfdcd6105fb63.jpgfalcon7.thumb.jpg.835bfd62322a0e7e4bdb2d558f4010fb.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 2:28 AM, DarkLord said:

There was a separate ribbon cable kit that Wizztonics sold to bring the Falcon's cartridge port to the connector on the back of the Falcon Rack's case. I had one.

The first picture here shows just what yours does from the rear (sorry for the low quality - this was in 2004). The 2nd picture shows the ribbon with the plug

inserted into the Falcon motherboard's cartridge port and running to the rear plane of the Falcon Rack. Worked great.  HTH's.  :)

Ah yep I see, I have memories of the ZX81 ram connector extensions in my head now for some reason! ;)

On 1/18/2024 at 6:28 PM, DarkLord said:

Pretty sure mine came with one, I think it's just that I have two old printers sitting on top of the case right now.  I really should pop off the video port on the back, get a 3d printed holder created and mount up the SuperVidel there.  I think the last time I tried to get the Falcon in there, I didn't have a flat surface I was building it on, and it seemed the rack had warped and the motherboard wouldn't quite fit.  I realized what had happened after I gave up that day, and I haven't attempted to put it back in since... I also needed to track down a proper keyboard for it, and now I have (since I have a Mega ST one, though it has a slight crack and it'd be awesome to be able to get a new one...)  Granted I have a couple Mega STe and the TT keyboard, but they aren't quite as nice.

20240124_094905.jpg

Actually, now I remember why I hadn't finished putting in there!  It was because I have a CosmosEx and I needed to figure out a way to mount it internally... Then I got one of those adapter boards put in to give it an internal SCSI connection.  Pretty sure I booted that and tested to make sure it worked... but then never got around to putting it in the case (So many different projects) and that's been years ago...

If I didn't need to rebuild my email server... I'd work on it soon.  Haha, always something, right?

Edited by leech
upload screenshot

• 2 weeks later...