IGNORED

ESRB database has a new listing for Atari- The 400 Mini

PowerDubs

26 minutes ago, Xebec said:

Is this ‘authorized’ by Atari?  Any issues there?   (Thinking of the 2600+ that came from ‘official [modern] Atari’).  

This 400 looks intriguing to me.. 

It is official Atari partnered product just like the 2600+

It will be on the Atari website soon.

• Like 1

its made by Retro Games Ltd(Luton) UK and Plaion(London) UK(THEC64 Mini, THEC64, THEVIC20, THEA500, The Atari2600+, Capcom Home Arcade(I have all of them) + Atari(France) SA - SA means LTD in French and was Infogrames SA originally and they are still are to me, they did publish some good games on PC, the company has not changed in 20 years, they own MB Games too like SIMOM, Buckaroo, Mouse Trap.

SA | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary

noun (also S.A.) uk us Add to word list Add to word list LAW, WORKPLACE used, especially in Spanish-, French-, Italian-, and Portuguese-speaking countries, after the names of a particular type of limited company

Edited by Spanner

3 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Somebody said Atari did not own patents to any of the 8-bit line of computers. Not the games, just the actual hardware stuff. Was that information false, or did Atari license or buy anything back?

I don’t know the answer to your question, but Atari can definitely assert copyright and trademark over the 8-bit line, even if the guts of both machines are full of off-the-shelf parts. They can sue someone for infringing on their “trade dress” and successfully did so against Hyperkin a few years ago. 

I think all the hardware patents on Nintendo’s consoles from the 80s and 90s has expired, which is why we have seen so many clones over the years. 

Thanks just pre ordered it... :)  I wonder if you be able to open the cartridge area, that would be a nice touch.... :)

No real cartridges, only play games from a USB Stick like THEC64 Mini, THEA500 Mini, maybe if there make a full size version then they may add a cartridge slot, down to them really.

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

They did similar things with the Spectrum and the C64 (again primarily marketed in Europe) so I'm not shocked atari is finally jumping on board the "retro PC plug-and-play" bandwagon.

I'm intrigued at least.

I'm not super versed with Atari PCs outside of the 5200 and ST so I can't say I'm "hyped", but I'm intrigued.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

I am not sure about its name but I see why `THE` was used, its part of RGLs `THE` line of computers they have made but would of been nice if it had Atari on it because it had the copyright to add it I wonder if Atari will be on its badge underneath it.

Looking at the video it has a USB port, HDMI port, USB-C port and power button at the back of it and looks like it will be as big as THEA500 Mini, its size.
The first time I have seen a `THE` computer have the rewind function so you can rewind the game 30 seconds, only seen that on the Atari Flashback, maybe it uses the same hardware as the Atari2600+ Plaion did that with the Capcom Home Arcade where it used the hardware from THEC64 inside it.

Edited by Spanner

12 minutes ago, Spanner said:

I am not sure about its name but I see why `THE` was used, its part of RGLs `THE` line of computers they have made but would of been nice if it had Atari on it because it had the copyright to add it I wonder if Atari will be on its badge underneath it.

THE 400

tm1.png    euipo2.png

Application Number 018828337
Status Registered
Filing Date 2023-01-30
Registration Date 2023-05-31
Owner ATARI INTERACTIVE, INC. (USA)
  • Like 1

Anyone got a more complete games list of what comes onboard than the original announcements?

The listing has Millipede, (Bruce) Lee, Missile Command, Boulder Dash, MULE, and five other titles.

Titles appearing in the announcement video but not in the announced games appear to include Crystal Castles and Seven Cities Of Gold.

That last one combined with MULE tells me that either EA’s ownership of them has expired or they reached a deal.