IGNORED

Homebrew WIP: Fly Hunter

46 minutes ago, ZackAttack said:

95 is my best so far. The longer delays when the frog watches you really make for some nail-biting moments. I'm not even mad at him for eating me just before I broke into triple digits.

Great score! I agree. The unpredictability of the frog really adds the right amount of tension.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KevKelley said:

That frog is what elevates this game. I was watching on @ZeroPage Homebrew and was amazed. This is one of those games that are just so frustratingly simple and executed well. 

Thank you, @KevKelley! I'm so glad I replaced the inchworm with the frog. In fact, it's such a big part of the gameplay now, I'm going to redo the box/label art to include it.

2 hours ago, Madwindoman said:

Love the addition of the frog. Really ups the challenge. Great work on this game. It plays perfect. My high so far is 206

Much appreciated, @Madwindoman. You've beat my current best of 200!  This game really needs a leaderboard.

Great job with this Fly Hunter, @8bitPoet!  For me, it falls into the category of games that are easy to learn but a bit evil on the side of not giving you any slack when you make a mistake, but you keep coming back to play the game anyway.  :)  Great job on the title screen with the graphics and music, and also for swapping out the inchworm for a frog (although it would be kind of cool if you could keep both, maybe add the inchworm after a certain amount of time has passed or something along those lines).  The frog really keeps you on your toes, as you need to move quickly when he appears.  I also agree with your decision to remove the two-color flies so you could add the tree.

I'm impressed with scores of 200 or higher!!

Keep up the great work!

..Al

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Great job with this Fly Hunter, @8bitPoet!  For me, it falls into the category of games that are easy to learn but a bit evil on the side of not giving you any slack when you make a mistake, but you keep coming back to play the game anyway.  :)  Great job on the title screen with the graphics and music, and also for swapping out the inchworm for a frog (although it would be kind of cool if you could keep both, maybe add the inchworm after a certain amount of time has passed or something along those lines).  The frog really keeps you on your toes, as you need to move quickly when he appears.  I also agree with your decision to remove the two-color flies so you could add the tree.

I'm impressed with scores of 200 or higher!!

Keep up the great work!

..Al

Thank you so much, Al! I've only gotten 200 points once. I'm equally impressed by anyone who breaks 200.

More games are in the works!

19 hours ago, Albert said:

(although it would be kind of cool if you could keep both, maybe add the inchworm after a certain amount of time has passed or something along those lines). 

..Al

second that!

The addition of the frog is great and (the timing of) his animation amazing.

One suggestion: red, poisonous, flies to be avoided

Would force the player to remain attentive.

Perhaps it is possible to have 2 flies on the screen at once, one black, one red? Extra challenge for the player then to catch the black while avoiding hitting the red.

Life at a pond is tough!

• Like 2

And the music is fantastic for the 2600. Intriguing and catchy. As memorable as MULE or Ballblazer on the 8-bit line.

Sound effects also are spot on. One sound that should be added is for when the frog swallows the spider.

Edited by r_type2600
added sound effect comment
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, r_type2600 said:

second that!

The addition of the frog is great and (the timing of) his animation amazing.

One suggestion: red, poisonous, flies to be avoided

Would force the player to remain attentive.

Perhaps it is possible to have 2 flies on the screen at once, one black, one red? Extra challenge for the player then to catch the black while avoiding hitting the red.

Life at a pond is tough!

Good ideas!

Many of my decisions are made simply by the technical limitations of the 2600 and my limited programming skills. 

The poisonous fly would be neat, but the ball and the playfield share the same color. That could affect the background, but it's worth exploring!

Unfortunately, there can only be one ball when using the standard kernel.

26 minutes ago, r_type2600 said:

And the music is fantastic for the 2600. Intriguing and catchy. As memorable as MULE or Ballblazer on the 8-bit line.

Sound effects also are spot on. One sound that should be added is for when the frog swallows the spider.

I had to wrestle with the cumbersome TIATracker to generate that riff. And if it weren't for the amazing hacks by @ZackAttack, this game wouldn't even have music.

HAHA yeah! Like a GULP sound. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 8bitPoet said:

Good ideas!

Many of my decisions are made simply by the technical limitations of the 2600 and my limited programming skills. 

The poisonous fly would be neat, but the ball and the playfield share the same color. That could affect the background, but it's worth exploring!

Unfortunately, there can only be one ball when using the standard kernel.

Perhaps you could use the other player missile that you don't seem to be using at the moment? It would have to be the same color as the frog, or only appear when the frog isn't active if you wanted it to be another color, but I think either of these would be okay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Perhaps you could use the other player missile that you don't seem to be using at the moment? It would have to be the same color as the frog, or only appear when the frog isn't active if you wanted it to be another color, but I think either of these would be okay.

Hmm. Player1 missile is being used for the spider's web, and Player0 missile is put on the sacrificial alter to eliminate the horizontal gaps in the playfield using no_blank_lines in the kernel options in bB.

I'm sure it's possible for a more experienced programmer than me. LOL

Had a great suggestion from @ZackAttack with regards to scoring!

He suggested a point system that's commensurate with the challenge. For example, Fast flies are more difficult to catch, than slow flies. In addition, avoiding the frog can be even trickier!

So I think I'll implement the following point system:

1 point - Slow Flies
2 points - Fast Flies
3 points - Avoid Hungry Frog

Edited by 8bitPoet
Swapped Toad for Frog

Minor suggestion - You are using a 6-digit score, but your scoring is very low, so the top 3 digits are unlikely to ever see use.  Maybe yo should use 10, 20, 30 points, or possibly even larger.

So that 999,999 becomes maybe possible...

• Like 1

I'm also loving this game, with each new update it gets better and better. I thought the fly with its flapping wings was really cool, but I prefer it the way it is now in favor of a more detailed scene, a positive point. The caterpillar was captivating, if Albert's suggestion could be possible, a relay system between the caterpillar and the frog, both can share the same green color. Finally, the soundtrack for this game is lovely, there are few Atari games in which its soundtrack catches my attention, my eardrums are grateful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

I'm also loving this game, with each new update it gets better and better. I thought the fly with its flapping wings was really cool, but I prefer it the way it is now in favor of a more detailed scene, a positive point. The caterpillar was captivating, if Albert's suggestion could be possible, a relay system between the caterpillar and the frog, both can share the same green color. Finally, the soundtrack for this game is lovely, there are few Atari games in which its soundtrack catches my attention, my eardrums are grateful.

Thank you so much! Really glad you're enjoying the game.

I did consider the idea of having both the frog and the inchworm in the game, but I didn't like that the inchworm could create a no-way out scenario. If the player misses a fly on the right side of the branch, there's an opportunity for them to zip back up to the branch, run to the left, and make a second attempt at catching the missed fly. However, if the inchworm is on that side of the branch when this occurs, the player has no hope of catching that fly because there's no getting past the inchworm.

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

This beautiful game reminds me Webster Dines Out!, a 1985 Compute! magazine Basic game.

This just blew my mind! The similarities are incredible. I highly doubt I would've ever seen this game before. I was a Commodore 64 user back in the 80s. I think it was Mark Twain who said there's no such thing as a new idea.

This gives me an idea that could be used for my sequel, though. 😉

Thanks for sharing this!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...