IGNORED

Zaxxon doesn't work on 2600+, but OK on the Original - plus video

Steverd

I had someone return a Zaxxon I sold because they said it didn't work.

But I knew it worked, because I test all cartridges before I sell them on my 2600.

After talking to this nice person, I found out he didn't own an original 2600, but had a new 2600+

I had him return it to me and I made this video below:

I had no idea what's wrong, it's marked OK on the compatibility list and I thought maybe the 2600+

is more sensitive? So once I had Zaxxon returned, I tested on my 2600jr and it worked first try.

So in my 2600+, just like the buyer said, it did not work, So I cleaned the contacts, they where dirty,

Still didn't work in the 2600+, so I cleaned more and more, until the qtips show no more dirt.

Again test and the it didn't work in the 2600+

So now for the experts, what do you think is going on here?

What's wrong with this cartridge? Could it be a different ROM version, I only see one PAL and a NTSC version

in all of my ROMs. Thoughts please. Thank you.

My copy of Zaxxon is also not working on my 2600+. There are a couple Coleco titles with this weird behavior (Smurf: Rescue… is my other Coleco game not working on my 2600+)

Unsure if it’s variants or something else. mine have been cleaned as well and verified working in my 7800. 

• Like 1

I'll check all the ones that I have tonight.

Coleco compatibility thread.

@Steverd That's one of the reasons that I got a 2600+. Besides supporting Atari, it allows me to check every cart before I put it up on ebay. You will probably face issues as a seller if you don't check each one on all three systems.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

White Coleco carts are known to not work. There is some discussion about this in other topics.

Thank you.

Has anyone figured out why?

Is there a better compatibility list?

Is the ROM different? I have over 2500 Atari 2600 ROMs and there is not any Zaxxon varieties.

I will research the forums more.

1 minute ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have Mouse Trap.  It works fine on the 2600+.  

Yeah, my Coleco copies of Mouse Trap, DK Jr., Venture, and Carnival all work on my plus. It’s not every Coleco cart for sure. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

This is a known issue with some white shelled Coleco carts. Until this is fixed, all Coleco carts are questionable. @Ben from Plaion has mentioned they are working on a fix. 

see here for details:

Oh GREAT Link Thank you - Zaxxon was mentioned in there.

Does anyone know if the issue was fixed in the v1.1 update? I haven't updated mine yet.

Thank you everyone!

3 hours ago, Steverd said:

I had someone return a Zaxxon I sold because they said it didn't work.

But I knew it worked, because I test all cartridges before I sell them on my 2600.

After talking to this nice person, I found out he didn't own an original 2600, but had a new 2600+

I had him return it to me and I made this video below:

I had no idea what's wrong, it's marked OK on the compatibility list and I thought maybe the 2600+

is more sensitive? So once I had Zaxxon returned, I tested on my 2600jr and it worked first try.

So in my 2600+, just like the buyer said, it did not work, So I cleaned the contacts, they where dirty,

Still didn't work in the 2600+, so I cleaned more and more, until the qtips show no more dirt.

Again test and the it didn't work in the 2600+

So now for the experts, what do you think is going on here?

What's wrong with this cartridge? Could it be a different ROM version, I only see one PAL and a NTSC version

in all of my ROMs. Thoughts please. Thank you.

The developer at the factory has recieved a Coleco cart (rev 3 PCB) so a fix to the dumper is being worked on. 

• Like 3