IGNORED

Nonfunctional unit

Gryzwnt

Hello! I've been holding out on posting here in hopes the customer support team at Atari got back to me, but it's almost been a month so... Yeah.

I was given a 2600+ for Christmas and the unit was dead out of the box. I tried multiple power bricks, multiple USB cables, multiple HDMI cables And multiple TVs to cover all my bases. Flip the switch and nothing happens. The Atari logo on the front doesn't even light up.

I was referred here from someone on Twitter who said Ben from Plaion could help? I'm ready with any photos or videos you might need.

@chad5200 I have to correct myself- it's been over a month now. It looks like I submitted the ticket on the December 16th, based off the automated response emails. Support contacted me on the 19th, and I replied with videos and photos the same day. I then sent followup emails on the 27th and Jan. 6th. I find it odd that the automated support emails provide a link and an account login to atari.gamcentergroup.com, and when you click on the link it takes you to that site, before redirecting you to atari.com a split second later. Took me a bunch of tries before my Escape key game got good enough to cancel the page load before the redirect so i could actually log into the game center group site... unfortunately there was nothing there that provided any further support.

• Like 1

Usually when stuff like this happens on items that are relatively inexpensive like the 2600 plus I usually just go and get the another copy of it that works and then I'll wait for the resolution of the refund of the RMA without being stressed out. Especially as $130 is essentially the cost of like three or four Uber Eats meals these days.

It sucks but sometimes shit happens. Each company is different and so far the new Atari has not acquitted itself well from anecdotal reports on here about how they deal with problematic issues with their products. the whole Scandal over how they shipped everything out late to people that were ordering early directly from them, and people that ordered later on Amazon got it before them, was a kind of a harbringer of this problem.

Edited by tradyblix

@tradyblix Except I don't have that kind of money to spare. Wife and three kids with two birthdays in January, plus a last minute trip to see the in laws for the holidays really puts a crimp on my ability to just run out and buy another one. It's not a bad idea though.

I was messaged by Atari's twitter rep last night, so here's hoping I'm finally getting some traction.

25 minutes ago, Gryzwnt said:

@tradyblix Except I don't have that kind of money to spare. Wife and three kids with two birthdays in January, plus a last minute trip to see the in laws for the holidays really puts a crimp on my ability to just run out and buy another one. It's not a bad idea though.

I was messaged by Atari's twitter rep last night, so here's hoping I'm finally getting some traction.

If its not sorted out quickly I'll swap it out. No worries.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2024 at 8:24 PM, Gryzwnt said:

Hello! I've been holding out on posting here in hopes the customer support team at Atari got back to me, but it's almost been a month so... Yeah.

I was given a 2600+ for Christmas and the unit was dead out of the box. I tried multiple power bricks, multiple USB cables, multiple HDMI cables And multiple TVs to cover all my bases. Flip the switch and nothing happens. The Atari logo on the front doesn't even light up.

I was referred here from someone on Twitter who said Ben from Plaion could help? I'm ready with any photos or videos you might need.

Update: it looks like the PR person came through, and support finally contacted me again. I just sent in proof of purchase and order number. Glad this is finally going somewhere!

On 1/19/2024 at 7:46 AM, Gryzwnt said:

Sorry to hear that. Just a suggestion to get you playing again quickly. I hear you. Times are tough. PM me your address, I have some games I can send to you. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Sorry to hear that. Just a suggestion to get you playing again quickly. I hear you. Times are tough. PM me your address, I have some games I can send to you. 

I'm good on games! I have a box full of carts I've had since new, or at least my parents had... Does that make me second owner?? Anyway, lots of Intellivision stuff in there too I'm curious to see if it works. That's why I'm so stoked on the Plus. Means I no longer have to monkey around with adapters and upscalers and whatnot. But thank you, So much for the offer!

• 3 weeks later...

figured it was time for an update. Support finally agreed to replace the unit, after over a Month of waiting for help, then gave me 5 days to send it in before my support ticket was considered void and closed.

In that email, however they did not mention I needed to return Everything - box, cables, controller, etc. I emailed them back to inquire, but I didn't here back. So when I boxed it up I only included the damaged console, which is what I've always done with other companies when getting repairs.

Of course they finally replied the morning of the day I mailed it, And I didn't see the email until after I had sent the package out, so now I'm kind of in limbo again. I've emailed support a couple times since on what needs to happen, but haven't heard back. They did receive the console though! It arrived at the receiving warehouse on Feb. 2.

I don't know if this helps anyone, but I thought I also had a dead 2600+.

I had tried with a couple of different USB-C power bricks, but I guess they were expecting to communicate as high-powered chargers.

I'm not a USB-C protocol expert, but it looks like a "legacy" cable that connects to USB-A, for instance, works better for this application. I hooked up a USB-A to USB-C cable to a crappy USB-A power brick, and it worked fine.

21 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

I had tried with a couple of different USB-C power bricks, but I guess they were expecting to communicate as high-powered chargers.

I'm not a USB-C protocol expert, but it looks like a "legacy" cable that connects to USB-A, for instance, works better for this application. I hooked up a USB-A to USB-C cable to a crappy USB-A power brick, and it worked fine.

Yep, that’s why folk say to use the pack-in cable. For reasons I cannot understand some USB-C devices/ports aren’t compatible with older USB devices. You would think a new iteration of USB would at a minimum be able to power devices using older versions of the standard, but apparently not. So don’t bin those USB-A power bricks folks! Even if your new device sports a USB-C port, that doesn’t mean it has a USB-C controller inside and current USB-C kit may not work with it.

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

That was the first thing I tried. I tried powering it from 2 TVs, a Nintendo Switch charger, 12w and 18w Apple chargers, and one or two others I had lying around as well... A healthy mix of A and C. Plus an assortment of cables just to be paranoid. That thing was dead, dead, dead 

• Sad 1

On 1/19/2024 at 7:12 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

If its not sorted out quickly I'll swap it out. No worries.

Hi @Ben from Plaion sorry to pull you into this again. How much longer should I wait for some response about the RMA? It's been crickets from support again. I attached a screen of the tracking. Any help or info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20240214-160118_Chrome.jpg

• 2 weeks later...