IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 19 - Game 1 - Skiing

[Intellivision HSC Season 19]

[Game 1]

Skiing

U.S._Ski_Team_Skiing.jpg.b2eafdbea7414d18c379d31e9c332a91.jpg

Skiing by Mattel Electronics 1980
Take a deep breath, dig your poles hard into the snow, push off...and you're speeding down a world class skiing course.

us_ski_team_skiing.gif.174f84577f63bb14ff5c9637d7fba063.gif

ROM Download Link

https://archive.org/details/MattelIntellivision2014ReferenceSet-CompleteTosecRomCollection (Click on zip)(Then scroll down for U.S. Ski Team Skiing (1980)(Mattel).zip

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for U.S. Ski Team Skiing

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Records

34.2 seconds -  mr_me Downhill Course (Set a record +3) - This means you must beat the time of 34.2 seconds on any Downhill Slope. 

88.4 seconds -  mr_me Slalom Course (Set a record +2) - This means you must beat the time of 88.4 seconds on any Slalom Slope. 

Game Settings

Course Downhill - MAIN - Pick any three (Separate) Downhill Courses (Slopes). Add your best three times together for one total time. Please post all 3 screen pics. 

Course Slalom - BONUS - Pick any Slalom Course (Slope). Post your best screen pic. 

MAIN Game Scoring

+13 [1st place], +12 [2nd place], +11 [3rd place], +9 [4th place] down to +1 pt for participation. +2 Game Winner Incentive

BONUS Game Scoring

+7 1st place

+6 2nd

+5 3rd

+4 4th

+3 5th

+2 6th

7th or lower,

+1 participation point

+1 Game Winner Incentive

Season Theme: Need For Speed

Game ends,
SUNDAY NIGHT FEBRUARY 4TH 11:59:59PM EASTERN TIME

(BEST TIMES)

Downhill Times:

108.8 seconds - Rickster8 (+13)(+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE)

111.8 seconds - Mr_Me (+12)

115.8 seconds - Wolfy62 (+11)

------------------------------------

151.4 seconds - cvga (+9)

152.8 seconds - dpisacane (+8)

155.8 seconds - Lupovax (+7)

257.0 seconds - jimblargh (+6)

325.6 seconds - Crash7 (+5)

Slalom Times:

96.4 seconds - Rickster8 (+7)(+1 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE)

114.4 seconds - Wolfy62 (+6)

184.8 seconds - Lupovax (+5)

189.4 seconds - cvga (+4)

248.8 seconds - jimblargh (+3)

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

Games Won

Sneak Preview: 

Super Cobra

Edited by Rickster8
Added in final times....
  • Like 1

Downhill total:115.8

Slopes:15,14,13 in picture order.

Slalom:114.4

I used slope 10 for Slalom because I wanted to complete one run without missing a gate.

It was too hard for me to do on slopes 11-15.

20240122_124008.jpg

20240122_133919.jpg

20240122_122818.jpg

20240122_133352.jpg

Edited by wolfy62
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Downhill total:155.8

Slopes:15,14,13 in picture order.

Slalom:114.4

I used slope 10 for Slalom because I wanted to complete one run without missing a gate.

It was too hard for me to do on slopes 11-15.

Looks like a typo, total should be 115.8.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Looks like a typo, total should be 115.8.

Yeah sorry,you are right!

I translated my total into 1 hour and minutes,instead of total minutes. My bad.😄

Edited by wolfy62
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I just…can’t play skiing. Lol. 

Lol, it's funny you posted cuz I just put on your Pac-Man vid as a screensaver.... Lol it will run for hours and the monitor won't shut off..... :P 

• Haha 1

Downhill Course - Slopes 13, 14 & 15. Slope 13 = 37.6 seconds; Slope 14 = 36.6 seconds; Slope 15 = 35.8 seconds. Total Downhill = 110.0 seconds. I also played some Slalom and my best time was 102.8 seconds (Slope 13). I will continue to try and get under 100 seconds which I have only done a few times in my life... :P I played all Skiing so far using my Inty System II with Flashback Controllers. I find when I play Skiing in emulation (Ultimate Flashback), the controller commands are sketchy. They don't respond very well and the skier will miss turns because of this. Thus far the original hardware seems to be more reliable. For me this has been an ongoing problem. I love Inty Skiing, but have yet to find a flawless controller to handle the super quick and fluid movements. It's almost like Mattel made the game too fast for the controllers,,,,,, on the quickest slopes anyway..... 

37.6DownhillSlope13.thumb.jpg.e00a7198106dd47e94ced04a376b0034.jpg36.6DownhillSlope14.thumb.jpg.c633c6980268a5a8b1ec920a125f9e0a.jpg35.8DownhillSlope15.thumb.jpg.8a42dda63154d16e8b10d68eead0d2c7.jpg

102.8SlalomSlope13.thumb.jpg.6b143b91763380eec6ff8992becde15d.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting & Wording
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Crash7 said:

I am so awful at this game and I wanted to show you what I post now because when I get good at it you'll see how far I came from LOL

20240124_103832.jpg

Was this Downhill or Slalom? If Downhill we are playing 3 (different) slopes and then you add up the total seconds of all 3. If Slalom, then one entry is fine for the Bonus game..... 👍

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

22 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

...I played all Skiing so far using my Inty System II with Flashback Controllers. I find when I play Skiing in emulation (Ultimate Flashback), the controller commands are sketchy. They don't respond very well and the skier will miss turns because of this. Thus far the original hardware seems to be more reliable. For me this has been an ongoing problem. I love Inty Skiing, but have yet to find a flawless controller to handle the super quick and fluid movements. It's almost like Mattel made the game too fast for the controllers,,,,,, on the quickest slopes anyway..... 

It's not too fast for the controllers. The game is too fast for itself. Skiing is programmed at 20hz while the Intellivision hardware is capable of 60hz. That means the Intellivision hardware can take inputs three times as fast as this game is programmed. And I think there's more to it than that. I think there is a bug in the game engine causing missed inputs as well.  For most Intellivision sports games you might not notice these issues.  And I agree it seems that these issues are more noticeable with the inherent latency of emulation and usb inputs.  In emulation you can try Skiing with any controller and see if it makes a difference.

And with the slalom course it's a must that you master the "edge" technique. Don't see how you can complete the course without it.

• Like 1

Back in my youth I recall getting below 35.0 (probably 34.6 or 34.8), and was always curious what the theoretical best was.

Amazed to see 34.2!  Curious to know the key to that score.  Do you need to use the "edge technique" at some point?

These days I don't play it frequently enough to have the course memorized, and typically miss a gate or three.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Peripheral said:

Back in my youth I recall getting below 35.0 (probably 34.6 or 34.8), and was always curious what the theoretical best was.

Amazed to see 34.2!  Curious to know the key to that score.  Do you need to use the "edge technique" at some point?

These days I don't play it frequently enough to have the course memorized, and typically miss a gate or three.

Hi, the world record on Twin Galaxies is 34.0 for Slope 15. I will attach the video. The guy screams his head off with jubilation. It's pretty funny.... 😜

My best on Slope 15 is 34.6. Cannot seem to do even a hair better. That slope is sooooooooo fast..... 

Throw some times up.. 👍

Twin Galaxies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crash7 said:

1-15-1

20240124_195454.jpg

20240124_195603.jpg

20240124_195704.jpg

OK, if these are all slope 15, then add a 14 and a 13 and add them up for a total amount of seconds.... Or just add two more slopes whatever you pick, but not slope 15 again cuz you already played that....

Also of note, each time you miss a gate the game adds 5 seconds to your final time.....

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

17 hours ago, Peripheral said:

I don't use edge for downhill, unless I screw up I might use it to recover. If edge helps than even lower times might be possible.

Downhill is a short run, it won't take you long to re-learn the course.

Edited by mr_me

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

I don't use edge for downhill, unless I screw up I might use it to recover. If edge helps than even lower times might be possible.

Downhill is a short run, it won't take you long to re-learn the course.

Do you think 33.8 on Slope 15 is possible? 😮

Thanks for sharing that 34.0 video, very cool!

Two things stood out to me:

1. Squeezed just inside the gates without bumping any.

2. Did not seem to use the edge technique

So I would guess bumping a gate costs a small bit of time.

Yes, I could easily take the time to relearn the route,

it's just a matter of desire at this point.

I also play via an emulator, and don't know how

that might impact the precise control needed for

such low times.  It's probably just my old age, but

sometimes it feels as if the game doesn't react

to my disc presses in a timely manner.

Downhill Course - Slopes 13, 14 & 15. Slope 13 = 37.4 seconds; Slope 14 = 36.4 seconds; Slope 15 = 35.0 seconds. Total Downhill = 108.8 seconds. Slalom Course - Slope 12 = 96.4 seconds.

I was able to do a little better on the Downhill Courses and by switching from Slope 13 to Slope 12 (Slalom) I found I had more control and I was able to hit every gate. 👍

I have never gotten under 90 seconds in Slalom, but will keep trying.... 😏

37.4DownhillSlope13.thumb.jpg.e7edd680398a2815d1f0f058cfdbfdb6.jpg36.4DownhillSlope14.thumb.jpg.8060538c902787cc1d797ccad3c91ace.jpg35.0DownhillSlope15.thumb.jpg.d6b387e9d502db28c1ef7a871fa712ed.jpg

96.4SlalomSlope12.thumb.jpg.071239052b2437e2fb377220bd331363.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Peripheral said:

Thanks for sharing that 34.0 video, very cool!

Two things stood out to me:

1. Squeezed just inside the gates without bumping any.

2. Did not seem to use the edge technique

So I would guess bumping a gate costs a small bit of time.

Yes, I could easily take the time to relearn the route,

it's just a matter of desire at this point.

I also play via an emulator, and don't know how

that might impact the precise control needed for

such low times.  It's probably just my old age, but

sometimes it feels as if the game doesn't react

to my disc presses in a timely manner.

It's not just you. Me and mr_me have been talking about this for a few years. When making quick turns in Inty Skiing the disc will sometimes skip or miss a command. You will hear what appears to be a skid out sound and that's the controller missing the command (like when a car hits a patch of ice). It's hard to explain, but we have both experienced it. I have found it happens much more frequently with emulation. 

Edited by Rickster8
Wording