IGNORED

Vectrex HSC - Feb 2024 - Mine Storm

On 2/20/2024 at 9:49 PM, scalpel said:

I have had many Vectrex (I have 4 right now)  and I never met any Invisables mines, how is possible ?

For more information on the two Mine Storm versions and the never-intended "invisible mines" see here and here.

• Like 2

Darryl's strategy guide offers really good tips for playing Mine Storm. And watching Brett's high score video proof at Twin Galaxies is als helpful.

One thing helped me to improve my ship control:

Use Thrust button (button 3) as if it was a fire button which means that you press it and release it right away. Press/"fire" more often if you want to fly faster and less often to fly slower. And never press and hold the Thrust button (unless you want to loose control over your ship ;-) )

Edited by hcmffm

Hi fellow Vector Warriors,

Vorkosigan is here. 😄

Mine Storm has been a very frustrating game for me, so I'm not competing for the top places at that game. But in the last few days I played a bit here and there to join the Vectrex HSC. It's still frustrating for me and it'll never be my most beloved game, but it was fun nevertheless. A little competition is way more motivating than playing for high scores alone.

So, thanks a lot for initiating the Vectrex HSC, @TheCurlyBard.

And... I finally reached Minefield 8 in Mine Storm II with a score of 86655, at least, on a Vectrex using Vectorlink in analog mode with a Wii Classic Controller.

Cheers, Marc

PXL_20240226_205934109_MP.thumb.jpg.3daeb724fb90746d7d163b093811c84a.jpg

Edited by Vorkosigan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

Hi fellow Vector Warriors,

Vorkosigan is here. 😄

Great that you've found your way here, Marc, and even registered as a new AtariAge user. 😎 Level 8 means that you could get past the magnetic fireball mine (Level 4) and the two magnetic mines (Level 6) which is a good achievement.

2 hours ago, scalpel said:

Just a question: did you communicate in the Vectrex Facebook pages about this HSC ? Could be nice to have more players :)

I have, a couple of time and got a few likes but not much of a noticeable response to be honest, perhaps if some of you guy's would comment on it it would prompt the algorithm? I'm not entirely sure if I'm on soft ban for some reason, so be interested if people can see what's on the end of that link for them

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vectrex.Fans.Unite/permalink/1489324781798868/

@Vorkosigan I've not found it the most enjoyable game either if I'm honest, I just picked it because we've all played it at least once. I got better than I ever would have, and learnt a lot from playvectrex's video! Perhaps you'll enjoy Galaxy Wars SL better?

@Vorkosigan Even if Mine Storm is not your favorite, at least you are playing it in style!  Lookin' good :D

@TheCurlyBard That's great to hear you are finding my video helpful.  I've wanted to make a video for a long time showing my tips and strategies.  Really though, Darryl's guide is pretty much everything I have learned to do naturally over the years playing Mine Storm, so best to read that and watch my video since I don't explain what I'm doing so much :D 

Since a good game takes about 1.5 hours to complete, any last minute submissions will be impossible to come back from... so I'll probably try to throw in my best MS1 and MS2 in sometime in the next couple days here before the end.  I'll be sure to give at least a 2 hour window for any challengers ;-) 

Something to consider for the next game, a proposal... if any tactically late submissions, that upset the top 3 order, come in such that they cannot be attempted to be beaten... maybe a sudden death overtime for those involved at the top can be implemented in some way.  Time is extended by 6 hours and 1 final score for all top players may be submitted in that time, or something?

No better score today, but I'm fixated now to at least improve a bit last minute... 😁

@TheCurlyBard Galaxy Wars SL is a Binary Star Game and those are always great. 😃

@hcmffm As a Vector Warrior I had to come. 😄 Should have been a bit earlier to the party though. Now that I'm getting better at Mine Storm...

@playvectrex Thanks, Brett, I love this unique Bezel Overlay very much. 😁

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 9:06 PM, Vorkosigan said:

I made a small advertisement in the VFU group...

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/MRpHYuAUJAsDcqXF/

The post disappeared at first repeatedly, but my last try seems to be good now in VFU.

Cool, thanks, Marc. Let's see whether people of VFU read your post and join in. Before, Paul has posted twice and for some reason I don't know I haven't seen his posts until just now. ATM, at VFU there are so many "Welcome our newest member" posts that it's even harder to see actual contents and useful information. 😞

On 2/27/2024 at 8:08 PM, playvectrex said:

Something to consider for the next game, a proposal... if any tactically late submissions, that upset the top 3 order, come in such that they cannot be attempted to be beaten... maybe a sudden death overtime for those involved at the top can be implemented in some way.  Time is extended by 6 hours and 1 final score for all top players may be submitted in that time, or something?

Each round lasts for a month(!) and I hope that people take scoring and ranking in the Vectrex High Score Club easy. If some keen people want to post scores at last minute they can do so. It's not really fair but prolonguing a round for some few hours doesn't make it much fairer - especially considering that there are players spread all over the world with different time zones. That's just my 2 cents.

Edited by hcmffm

10 hours ago, hcmffm said:

If some keen people want to post scores at last minute they can do so. It's not really fair...

Exactly... it's a tactical move that someone might employ.  The rules don't disallow it, and also... people can feverishly play up until the last minute with no malice intended as well.

Here's one solid idea though... an easy way to make a rule for this: If someone gets beat in the last minutes or hour and does not physically have time to respond with a score, they could submit a "challenge" to the player who beat them.  And if the player accepts, there's some negotiated time limit between the two in which one final score can be submitted.  That seems the most fair, because it involves a challenge, an accepted challenge, and a mutually negotiated time limit (that probably shouldn't exceed 24 hours).  The players at the top know exactly how long it takes to play a round of these really high scores as well.  For example, my Mine Storm II score was 90 minutes of game play.  A high score of Count Vecula is more like 3 hours.

I'm glad to have found this thread just in time (by way of the Facebook group post I noticed)! Events like this are a great way for Vectrex owners to dive deeper into the game library.

Strangely enough I barely ever gave Mine Storm any focus and vastly underestimated the variety and difficulty. I played for maybe 45 minutes tonight and slowly evolved in strategy from barely ever getting past stage 2, to consistently getting to at least stage 5. It can be very addicting to practice and learn new avoidance techniques along the way. Initially I would attempt to destroy every fireball mine, but eventually found it convenient to just avoid them and let them travel out of screen when in a panic. I also found myself rarely using the hyperspace/teleport function until my later sessions, where it became very useful even multiple times in a row to get out of the chaos. Though there are definitely elements of luck in it all and sometimes you just get delt a worse playfield than others. Until tonight I hadn't even paid enough attention in this game to recognize that what I thought was just a random starfield was in fact the spawn points of enemies. I then started reading some of the tips and guides around just to better understand some of the gameplay mechanics. Might revisit this one in the next day to see if I can improve my score, but either way I'm just happy to have taken a moment to play!

Seen here on my unmodified original generation Vectrex with woodgrain vinyl and generic multicolor overlay, internal ROM. Score 64595. 

(Edit - Apparently I have a long way to go to catch up to the best on this game!!!)

3BBCBFD3-C9AA-4804-8B3D-FD4EE12C8E1E.thumb.jpg.d0334cdb5c9f2224e3dc59d58771f67d.jpg

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 3

Thank you, MattPilz for joining in and posting your score on the very last day of the February round. And thanks for your short review / experience report - Mine Storm positively surprised me also even though I think it's a pretty tough game.

Unfortunately, in this Vectrex club no Atari speed ups and Atari modifications are allowed; this also includes woodgrain-vinyl wraps. So your score is invalid. O.k., I'm just joking. ;-) Again, welcome and I look forward to seeing more scores of you in coming rounds!

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/1/2024 at 2:31 AM, Mikey50 said:

curley beard its still february can I still post this score??

188048IMG_0779.thumb.JPG.345c9ebc42731991873b1097e8ec0abf.JPG

Hello, yes that's fine as I didn't really state which midnight the submissions will close. We'll update the rules with a timezone for future months though!

Nice score!