IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

3 hours ago, Jon Willig said:

Just updated to version 1.1r2, and most of my 7800 Home Brew games now work. However, I did notice issues with 7800 paddle and trackball support. No paddles seem to work with Super Circus Atari Age or Crazy Brix. Also, there's no movement in Centipede TB with the Atari trackball in trackball or joystick mode.

Issues:

Super Circus Atari Age (No Paddle support)

Crazy Brix (No Paddle support) 

Super Circus AtariAge and Crazy Brix can be played with a joystick(gamepad) besides paddles.  Check Difficulty Switch settings for Crazy Brix and in-game options for Super Circus AtariAge:

image.thumb.png.70c6ca2b3aafba5d3da7e1d7fabe6642.png

Difficulty Switch settings also impact balloon behavior and the presence of barriers for Super Circus AtariAge.

Presumably too... Paddles are being plugged into the Right Controller - AKA Player 2 - Port, and not the Left Controller - AKA Player 1 - Port (?)

Per the manuals - left port is for joystick controls and right port for paddle controls.

Crazy Brix:

:image.png.83e551f45f0864d66ef2d34368352459.png

Super Circus AtariAge:

image.thumb.png.ad802c76e0c538d120545656c9c02cd9.png

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

@Ben from Plaion Here is proof of what some of us had suspected.  There are differences in the hardware of the 2600+.

Mr. Chickens has two 2600+ units.  One has performance issues.  The other performs just fine.

It might be minor and it might be slight differences in tolerances... but it is for sure enough to be noticeable in plenty of situations.

But it is also infrequently reported enough that it’s not a widespread problem, but isolated issues that might be the result of the odd manufacturing oopsy, rather than a larger issue. 

This is the kind of stuff that really should be dealt with as a return/repair case via Atari customer service, rather than 400 replies of varying intensity of nagging by a small number of users on the forum. 

22 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

But it is also infrequently reported enough that it’s not a widespread problem, but isolated issues that might be the result of the odd manufacturing oopsy, rather than a larger issue. 

This is the kind of stuff that really should be dealt with as a return/repair case via Atari customer service, rather than 400 replies of varying intensity of nagging by a small number of users on the forum. 

I think that’s what we are building to eventually. 

What is fixable via FW, and what is a genuine problem with some of our consoles?

Is the Pitfall! Click a sign of a HW defect in the console or something unique to a batch of cartridges that will be there until it’s fixed in FW? 

When there are so many old carts that can have issues of their own (dirty/corroded contacts, failed ROM chips, multiple revisions that require individual attention), I’m sure that some of these issues are like finding needles in haystacks.

I’m being patient. When only 4% of my total games are having issues, I have plenty that I can play. I’d love to have 100% of my games work, especially since my 7800 recently started having new issues, so I will continue to report what I find and follow Ben’s advice when we finally get to release FW. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick41 said:

I want to thank everyone for bringing this to market and for all of the continued work to update it.

My NTSC Games still not working:

Time Pilot

Flash Gordon

My NTSC games that work after the latest update:

Bump n Jump

Zaxxon

Burger Time

Double Dragon 7800

Funny, my Flash Gordon works, but my Zaxxon doesn't. Both NTSC.

16 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

What is fixable via FW, and what is a genuine problem with some of our consoles?

Is the Pitfall! Click a sign of a HW defect in the console or something unique to a batch of cartridges that will be there until it’s fixed in FW? 

When there are so many old carts that can have issues of their own (dirty/corroded contacts, failed ROM chips, multiple revisions that require individual attention), I’m sure that some of these issues are like finding needles in haystacks.

I’m being patient. When only 4% of my total games are having issues, I have plenty that I can play. I’d love to have 100% of my games work, especially since my 7800 recently started having new issues, so I will continue to report what I find and follow Ben’s advice when we finally get to release FW. 

I have multiple Pitfall carts in my collection from buying various lots over the years, and all of them play fine and no clicking. 

I honestly think there might just be a small batch of 2600+ units that were effected, and the majority of them are fine.

time will tell.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

Its interesting to see @MrChickenz get another machine and report back those results.

Its been confirmed eatlier in the thread that basically all main parts of every machine manufactured to date is the same.

We also see that many 2600 games are hitting very high CPU usage rates, sometimes 100%. Which in of itself is insane considering the simplicity of the games. I would hazard a guess and say that perhaps there is something of a silicone lottery with RK3128 chips, all within tolerance of the spec but at such high CPU usage rates some chips may handle it differently to others.

The key thing is to see if reductions in CPU usage can be made, its been pointed out to me by the experts that elements of the software processing pipeline are sub optimal which are causing undue excess CPU usage, these elements are being looked and revisions can hopefully be made to bring CPU usage down... What difference that makes to @MrChickenz unit that starts to glitch will prove this theory right or wrong. 

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I have multiple Pitfall carts in my collection from buying various lots over the years, and all of them play fine and no clicking. 

I honestly think there might just be a small batch of 2600+ units that were effected, and the majority of them are fine.

time will tell.

I have quite a few Pitfall cartridges also they work now! I believe I just had a defective 2600+! I don’t expect 100 %! But now that I have a working one I think it’s almost perfect!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I have quite a few Pitfall cartridges also they work now! I believe I just had a defective 2600+! I don’t expect 100 %! But now that I have a working one I think it’s almost perfect!

Thing is was it really defective, because your reports were not standalone reports. Because of that its important to understand that if some machine suffer a glitch and the CPU is same spec, then it should be looked at.

Regardless I bet you new 'Golden Sample' machine still runs California Games intro scene at CPU 100% which slows down music playback, so an intention of making efficiency savings on CPU usage is still warranted.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gregory DG said:

What does "Download Boot Fail" mean?

Something just isnt letting the update work, try downloading the files again, try another windows PC, if all else fails I can pick up your machine and put the latest software on it and return it. I enjoy watching your videos, thanks.

20 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Regardless I bet you new 'Golden Sample' machine still runs California Games intro scene at CPU 100% which slows down music playback, so an intention of making efficiency savings on CPU usage is still warranted.

My 2600+ runs the California Games intro just fine. No slow down. But I have one of the 2600+ units that has not experienced any of the performance issues other are reporting (pitfall and fishing derby noise clicking, jumpy keystone kapers, and disappearing sprites in Kangaroo). 

Would be interesting to see @MrChickenz report what he sees with California Games on his better performing 2600+. 

I am sure that this all comes down to different tolerances among the various units. If you have the CPU hanging out around 95% to 100% then that’s when those different tolerances will make or break the performance. Best to optimize the code to make the whole issue moot. 

Until that happens, we will have a slow and constant drip of new people complaining that their Pitfall clicking noise is driving them crazy.

24 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Thing is was it really defective, because your reports were not standalone reports. Because of that its important to understand that if some machine suffer a glitch and the CPU is same spec, then it should be looked at.

I totally agree! It’s probably not defective! And I’m not saying I have a Golden Sample machine but I’m on par now! I believe everyone working on this will get it ironed out!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Something just isnt letting the update work, try downloading the files again, try another windows PC, if all else fails I can pick up your machine and put the latest software on it and return it. I enjoy watching your videos, thanks.

Appreciate that Ben. I'm going to try another computer, just a little surprised it's so problematic. I'm sure I can't be the only one having issues.

2 minutes ago, Gregory DG said:

Appreciate that Ben. I'm going to try another computer, just a little surprised it's so problematic. I'm sure I can't be the only one having issues.

Are you using the usb cord that came with the 2600+ ? Try different USB ports 2.0 and 3.0 sometimes I found the connection to be intermittent.

2 hours ago, mreev0 said:

When will the official version be available?

If you're talking about when the official firmware update will be available, no ETA has been announced.  It is still being tested.

9 hours ago, Trebor said:

Super Circus AtariAge and Crazy Brix can be played with a joystick(gamepad) besides paddles.  Check Difficulty Switch settings for Crazy Brix and in-game options for Super Circus AtariAge:

Difficulty Switch settings also impact balloon behavior and the presence of barriers for Super Circus AtariAge.

Presumably too... Paddles are being plugged into the Right Controller - AKA Player 2 - Port, and not the Left Controller - AKA Player 1 - Port (?)

Per the manuals - left port is for joystick controls and right port for paddle controls.

Crazy Brix:

Super Circus AtariAge:

9 hours ago, Trebor said:

Crazy Brix:

Super Circus AtariAge:

Thanks for the info. I made every attempt mentioned. Both games work fine with a joystick but not paddles. :(

• Like 2