IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

8 hours ago, chad5200 said:

I am sure that this all comes down to different tolerances among the various units. If you have the CPU hanging out around 95% to 100% then that’s when those different tolerances will make or break the performance. Best to optimize the code to make the whole issue moot. 

Until that happens, we will have a slow and constant drip of new people complaining that their Pitfall clicking noise is driving them crazy.

I think you're hitting the nail on the head; @DirtyHairy showed before that some 2600 games currently have an average CPU utilization of around 95%, then for sure these little variance in CPUs will start to show up. To solve this, optimization is needed on the integration of RetroArch/libretro and Stella, otherwise this will become a "Silicon Lottery" game.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

This is also how my California Games sounds.

They both sound good. 

I posted on here somewhere previously, mine is playing much faster! Maybe my CPU is overclocked? 😜🤷🏻🤣

EDIT: Found the video in my deleted items. 

Seriously though, that's odd, is this a known issue too? @Ben from Plaion

Edited by JetmanUK

27 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I posted on here somewhere previously, mine is playing much faster! Maybe my CPU is overclocked?

In the PAL version of California Games, the intro screen and music is running faster than in the NTSC version.

5 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

In the PAL version of California Games, the intro screen and music is running faster than in the NTSC version.

It being PAL I assumed it would be slower. I guess they sped the game up so it plays at the correct speed and it broke the music. What a shame they didn't fix it. 

17 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

It being PAL I assumed it would be slower. I guess they sped the game up so it plays at the correct speed and it broke the music. What a shame they didn't fix it. 

Yes, normally PAL would run slower, but I guess they (Epix) changed the PAL version to run the intro screen faster without breaking the music.

I've got both the PAL and NTSC version of California Games. This is how my NTSC version is running (sorry for the low audio volume):

Edited by Dionoid

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

Yes, normally PAL would run slower, but I guess they (Epix) changed the PAL version to run the intro screen faster without breaking the music.

I've got both the PAL and NTSC version of California Games. This is how my NTSC version is running (sorry for the low audio volume):

So, as your CPU is struggling, then the PAL version will be slower than mine, but faster than this then?

Can you post a video?

Edited by JetmanUK

5 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

So, as your CPU is struggling, then the PAL version will be slower than mine, but faster than this then?

Can you post a video?

Yes, correct. This is a video of my PAL version of California Games playing on the 2600+. Notice the stuttering sound and vertical scrolling of the text:

Edited by Dionoid

6 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Yes, correct. This is a video of my PAL version of California Games playing on the 2600+. Notice the stuttering sound:

Thanks for posting, I hope the optimisations sort this issue out. :)

I am glad that I have one of the 'faster' systems, that headroom means that it's not running at full pelt all the time, I don't know if that would affect longevity.

Regardess, I do believe that this will get resolved, a lot of good minds are on this. :)

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The key thing is to see if reductions in CPU usage can be made, its been pointed out to me by the experts that elements of the software processing pipeline are sub optimal which are causing undue excess CPU usage, these elements are being looked and revisions can hopefully be made to bring CPU usage down... What difference that makes to @MrChickenz unit that starts to glitch will prove this theory right or wrong. 

I can only repeat myself: enabling PGO (profile guided optimisation) will easily give a 20% - 30% speedup. Moving from Retroarch to plain Stella would probably give another sizeable boost. The R77 has a similar CPU, and while we had to switch to PGO and do some optimisations to Stella for ARM games, CPU usage for non-ARM games was more like 60% to 80% (instead of 70% to 100%). With PGO and plain Stella the R77 hovers around 100% for very heavy ARM games (like Mappy) and much lower for everything else.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

I can only repeat myself: enabling PGO (profile guided optimisation) will easily give a 20% - 30% speedup. Moving from Retroarch to plain Stella would probably give another sizeable boost. The R77 has a similar CPU, and while we had to switch to PGO and do some optimisations to Stella for ARM games, CPU usage for non-ARM games was more like 60% to 80% (instead of 70% to 100%). With PGO and plain Stella the R77 hovers around 100% for very heavy ARM games (like Mappy) and much lower for everything else.

Yes, thanks, this feedback is similar to what I've been hearing. We hope to offer improvements in these areas in future builds.

• Like 5

I just received my 2nd 2600+ and Pitfall has no clicking at all. Plays perfect. 

Definitely a difference in the console itself.  

Need to put 1.1b on it and see if anything else if different.

Not sure what I should do next with my original one. Is this a production variance that falls within or outside of tolerances? Will FW ultimately solve the problem? Should I contact Atari and request a replacement?

@Ben from Plaion, thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Are you using the usb cord that came with the 2600+ ? Try different USB ports 2.0 and 3.0 sometimes I found the connection to be intermittent.

Yes, using the included USB cable. And I've tried every USB port on the computer with no better results. Probably the chipset driver on my computer is wonky, I dunno.

I did get lucky for the first update and it somehow worked. Just this one isn't picking up for some reason.

22 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Are you using the usb cord that came with the 2600+ ? Try different USB ports 2.0 and 3.0 sometimes I found the connection to be intermittent.

Edited by Gregory DG
duplicate post

5 hours ago, Gregory DG said:

Yes, using the included USB cable. And I've tried every USB port on the computer with no better results. Probably the chipset driver on my computer is wonky, I dunno.

I did get lucky for the first update and it somehow worked. Just this one isn't picking up for some reason.

Are you still holding the switches down on the 2600+ after hearing the connected device jingle in Windows?  I've found that doing will cause the device to disconnect and reconnect.  It's screwed up the firmware update for me before.

@MrChickenz

Are the sprites in Mr. Run and Jump still disappearing on you with the new machine?

35 minutes ago, Hawkangel said:

One other thing : My PAL 7800 cartridge of Donkey Kong is running faster after the update. 

Did you upgrade from V1.0 or V1.1 Rev1?

Rev1 had 50Hz output for PAL games and Rev2 is back to 60Hz?

@raz0red

Does it mean PAL games run on original speed on Rev2? If yes, please keep it!

Some 2600 games I decided to buy NTSC versions for the 2600+ to get original speed.

Hope to be back to testing soon and I could compare PAL games with original hardware, 2600 and 7800.

13 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

I just received my 2nd 2600+ and Pitfall has no clicking at all. Plays perfect. 

Definitely a difference in the console itself.  

Need to put 1.1b on it and see if anything else if different.

Not sure what I should do next with my original one. Is this a production variance that falls within or outside of tolerances? Will FW ultimately solve the problem? Should I contact Atari and request a replacement?

@Ben from Plaion, thoughts?

Check out how it runs in a new build.

Keep it nice and safe at your house. Bound to be worth more then you paid for it anywa at sometime in the future.

• Like 2

I finally got my Atari 2600+ updated to the latest firmware, and I thought I'd add my list of games that didn't work in case they can be fixed in the future.

These games came up with loading failed or didn't work:

Donkey Kong (Coleco) - I have several copies of this one, and only one worked.  The others didn't.  I also have the Atari red label version and it worked.

Tennis (Activision)

Keystone Kapers (Activision) - I have two of these.  One worked and the other didn't.

River Raid (Activision)

Barnstorming (Activision)

Kaboom! (Activision)

Smurf - Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (Coleco)

Strategy X (Konami)

Fishing Derby (Activision) - This one works sometimes and sometimes doesn't.  I have cleaned it many times with the same results.

Seaquest (Activision)

Pole Position (Atari) - This is the typo "Pole Positn" version.  I have the regular version too and it works, but this one doesn't.

Crossbow (Atari 7800) - The game reads, but the colors are all off and I can't see what I'm doing very well.

Pitfall II (Activision) - We all know this one but I thought I'd put it in the list.

Galaxian (Atari) I have two copies of this one, one worked and the other did not.

I hope this helps with future revisions.  This system is amazing, and I love it!  🙂

have you thoroughly cleaned your carts @mmmmbeh? Even if they work on an original 2600, sometimes they need quite a bit of additional cleaning to work on a 2600+.

If my copies of Donkey Kong, Kaboom, Galaxian, and Chopper Command might stop working if I update to v1.1 then I really don't want to do it. So I'm hoping that's not the case here. Did they work for you BEFORE upgrading to v.1.1 ?

Edited by Glorkbot

27 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

have you thoroughly cleaned your carts @mmmmbeh? Even if they work on an original 2600, sometimes they need quite a bit of additional cleaning to work on a 2600+.

If my copies of Donkey Kong, Kaboom, Galaxian, and Chopper Command might stop working if I update to v1.1 then I really don't want to do it. So I'm hoping that's not the case here. Did they work for you BEFORE upgrading to v.1.1 ?

They didn't work before I upgraded.  I have cleaned them with isopropyl alcohol 91% a few times.  I have some brasso that I usually use for my NES games, so I'll try that next.  I upgraded to v.1.1 and then upgraded to the revision.  Will keep trying.  :)