IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

15 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Maybe try old dumper FW first, to check if it is related to the dumper or the SW🤔

Good call, but the dumper firmware alone didn't seem to be the trick. For anyone who has read my posts and is silently wondering about my problem with those three games, reverting back to the original dumper and Stella firmware fixed it.

So, I know you were worried about buying Ninjish Guy, but I can assure you, it works beautifully. For me, it won't run with the beta firmware, but it only took me about five minutes to reset it back to the original, and now all is well. (Amazing game, by the way...buy it ASAP!)

I've seen some of the fantastic things the beta firmware can do, so I'm excited to see the first 'official' release where perhaps whatever caused those three AtariAge games to stop working will be ironed out. I'll stick with the stock firmware until then, but I at least know that the devs pretty much are inching closer towards the perfect package. Can't wait to try the next firmware!

• Like 4

I just flashed the newest firmware to my 2600+ since I wanted to play some of my AtariAge homebrew carts.  They all work fine, but I noticed an issue with Baby Pac-Man.  The standard RX-40 controller should control the pinball flippers by pushing left/right on the stick, but pushing right does nothing.  On the other hand, the game plays fine with a 7800 Proline stick, using the left and right buttons for the flippers.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 8:24 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Not sure, lots going on. I'll know more in the next few days.

Don't let yourself get stressed. I'm happy to wait until the next batch of Atari2600+ hardware is available with the updated software and dumpers. Just please before Christmas 2024. And this time please including a proper manual and poster 🙂 

58 minutes ago, GrizzLee said:

Any word when the next "official" firmware release will be?

Will it be as easy as downloading from my Mac to a SD card and inserting it? 

The 2600+ doesn't have SD card slot

1 hour ago, GrizzLee said:

Any word when the next "official" firmware release will be?  Will it be as easy as downloading from my Mac to a SD card and inserting it? 

No word on an official (or unofficial) firmware update.

No word on if there will be a Mac-based update.

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Your wish is granted!  The updates are currently installed via the USB port.

His wish was that he could do it on his Mac. Currently there is no way to do that. Maybe if you pay for for a Windows simulator, but IDK. Bootcamp doesn't run on recent macs and Parallels costs $100 a year, which seems a lot to pay just to update the firmware on a Atari 2600+.

56 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

His wish was that he could do it on his Mac. Currently there is no way to do that. Maybe if you pay for for a Windows simulator, but IDK. Bootcamp doesn't run on recent macs and Parallels costs $100 a year, which seems a lot to pay just to update the firmware on a Atari 2600+.

Has anyone tried with VirtualBox?  I know it still requires a Windows installation, but people are resourceful.

TBF, as a consumer device, the updates should be a little more "accessible."

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Has anyone tried with VirtualBox?  I know it still requires a Windows installation, but people are resourceful.

TBF, as a consumer device, the updates should be a little more "accessible."

VirtualBox only runs on Intel Macs, which they discontinued years ago. For M1 & up macs Parallels only runs the ARM version of windows…I have no idea if that’s sufficient, but at $100 a year I don’t care to find out.

Edited by Glorkbot

I’ve had both PCs and Macs, and in the end, I keep returning to PC for one main reason:

PCs have considerably higher market share (82%) than their competition (16% for Apple, 2% for Linux) and more often than not, if you need something specific done, it’s going to be available first, and sometimes only on a windows PC. 

Not saying one is better than the other. I’m writing this on an iPhone so I’m not anti-Apple at all. I’m just being a realist here.

Plaion/Atari isn’t the first and won’t be the last to prioritize x86 Windows PC compatibility over other platforms. 

Think of it like a toolbox. Sometimes you need a specialty tool for a job. In this case, Windows is that tool. A cheap windows PC can be found for a little over $100 on Amazon and will take care of tasks like this. 

• Like 2

Remember, too, this is all beta - nothing official has yet been released. 

Atari might well figure out a way to make the official update available across platforms besides Windows.

23 minutes ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

They really need to release an update app for the Atari VCS!

My VCS does have Windows installed but the Windows OS cost more than the actual 2600+ :(

I don’t know for sure what AtariOS is built on, but I would assume it’s Linux based. If they got it working in native VCS, then they would probably be able to do it in Linux as well. It’s not a bad idea though to have a way to do it through the VCS. That would promote more synergy (or Syzygy lol) between their different products. Maybe even a FW updater for the 400 mini as well. 

I completely forgot about PC mode on a modern VCS. That would definitely do it so long as you installed windows. There are ways to find license keys for cheap. I just found a Groupon for win11 pro for $24.

1 hour ago, MikeM_ said:

A cheap windows PC can be found for a little over $100 on Amazon

For that matter, I have been selling Windows laptops over in the Marketplace for $25 plus shipping.  Does it suck to have a computer around that you may only need for certain things?  Yes.  But it also sucks to have a core puller, a drain wrench, an impact drill, jump starter, a tourniquet... all things I may need at some point, and I would rather have them on-hand when I need them than not.

2 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

VirtualBox only runs on Intel Macs, which they discontinued years ago. For M1 & up macs Parallels only runs the ARM version of windows…I have no idea if that’s sufficient, but at $100 a year I don’t care to find out.

I guess no one offers trail periods anymore, huh?  Apple went with its own silicon, huh?  And here I thought I had it rough still working in the 68k/PPC world with my Amigas.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Varanis Ridari said:

Haven't been here in a bit. Got sick, and life happened.

Anyone had luck getting those Smurf/white Coleco carts working?

I know it was a dumper issue before. I still have my copy sitting here I can't play.

I sent Ben my copies of Smurf, Zaxxon, and James Bond 007 that weren’t working in the plus. They have been working on it and I suspect the next time they release something, it will have fixes for most of, if not all the remaining games that haven’t worked. 

But I haven’t heard anything specific yet  so at this point, it’s mostly optimism and faith in Ben’s team that they will figure it out now that they have the resources to test with. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

I sent Ben my copies of Smurf, Zaxxon, and James Bond 007 that weren’t working in the plus. They have been working on it and I suspect the next time they release something, it will have fixes for most of, if not all the remaining games that haven’t worked. 

But I haven’t heard anything specific yet  so at this point, it’s mostly optimism and faith in Ben’s team that they will figure it out now that they have the resources to test with. 

Thank you!

I've mostly targeted re-acquiring my childhood library before going off on a lark to buy a bunch of titles I missed, or the rare/obscure pricey ones all the YouTuber tastemakers seem to gush over (part of how they get pricey I assume, FOMO is real).

Smurf is one final piece of that puzzle for me, silly as that sounds. I know OG hardware is always an option, but doing that now dishonors the gift of this 2600+ my close friend and housemate got me last Christmas, pre-ordered and all.

2 hours ago, Varanis Ridari said:

Thank you!

I've mostly targeted re-acquiring my childhood library before going off on a lark to buy a bunch of titles I missed, or the rare/obscure pricey ones all the YouTuber tastemakers seem to gush over (part of how they get pricey I assume, FOMO is real).

Smurf is one final piece of that puzzle for me, silly as that sounds. I know OG hardware is always an option, but doing that now dishonors the gift of this 2600+ my close friend and housemate got me last Christmas, pre-ordered and all.

I have played on Smurfs, worked perfect. I believe there is different revision of the cart and it doesnt work. I highly suspect this will be resolved in the next firmware/dumper update. Thanks

• Like 3

9 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I guess no one offers trail periods anymore, huh? 

I think Parallels might offer a free trial period, but it's silly to use up a trial period now on the beta firmware and then be unable to install the final firmware later because the trial is over. I wouldn't recommend that.

11 hours ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

They really need to release an update app for the Atari VCS!

My VCS does have Windows installed but the Windows OS cost more than the actual 2600+ :(

Windows is free if you don't mind it being unregistered. The main difference is you can't change your background on unregistered Windows. No biggie.