IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

So I got a micro usb OTG cable and a micro to usb-c adapter, and was able to access the Retroarch menu with a keyboard, and enabled bilateral filtering which gives the smoothing effect, but it appears changes to the config aren’t saved when trying to save through the menu or on close/power off.

Looks like saved states and config file saving is disabled.

Anybody else figure out a way to save the settings or is it explicitly disabled? 

3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

So I got a micro usb OTG cable and a micro to usb-c adapter, and was able to access the Retroarch menu with a keyboard, and enabled bilateral filtering which gives the smoothing effect, but it appears changes to the config aren’t saved when trying to save through the menu or on close/power off.

Looks like saved states and config file saving is disabled.

Anybody else figure out a way to save the settings or is it explicitly disabled? 

I believe they are flushed on power down.

@Ben from Plaion

I know we are on the same wavelength when it comes to keeping the 2600 Plus more like the original experience rather than adding a ton of modern features, aside from a handful.

But... I want to talk about audio. Stella can output stereo sound, and unless I have not noticed (doubt it) I assume that the 2600 Plus outputs in mono.

I have found that stereo adds something nice to the games when I play ROMs on the laptop. It's good.

To be fair graphics are enhanced on the 2600 Plus anyway, HDMI is much more crisp than on original hardware, so a precident has already been set. HDMI has been included to enable play on modern TVs, such TVs have stereo sound. 💁🏻

Its worth remembering that the original hardware DID produce stereo sound anyway, and just combined the output to mono, so although stereo sound wasn't a feature, it was technically capable and happening. Ok, I'm loopholing that one, but how would you feel about stereo sound? If it was on by default users could set their sound to mono on their TV themselves if they like, or if you don't want to do that just give an option somehow? 

To sum up, graphics have been enhanced for modern displays, let's do the same for audio! 🤟🏻😁

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

On 1/26/2024 at 4:09 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

No the dumper update 1.1.0.9 is a totally seperate function to the Mainboard emulation update.

I'm pretty sure, because your machine clearly can connect to the PC as you've done the dumper update that your issue is to do with the driver for the machine that enables rkdevtool to see the machine. Remember to uninstall / install the driverassist driver from wondows device manager.

Yeah so I got around to try playing around with this some more.
First off all, I couldn't get windows device manager to show 'unknown device' to work with even before installing driverassist from the app. Driverassist from app only came after trying a bunch of things to get device manager to show something. Just didn't work and only then I installed driverassist from the app hoping it would then pick up somehow.

Anyway I did the following:
- now removed driverassist using the app again, as it gives an uninstall option, but also went through windows registry and deleted any entries I could find there, just to have it gone gone.

- tried COLOR + RESET, still doesn't do anything (no usb connection jingle and 2600+ shows black screen)
- tried my idea of downgrading dumper to christmas update, but COLOR + RESET still doesn't work, like you already suggested; it doesn't matter for this different mode.

Both B&W + SELECT and COLOR + SELECT give me a USB jingle. One for the dumper update that works fine. The other one comes up as a USB controller, which I've already learned about from the other forum threat what that does.
So those modes work fine and can connect with PC. It's just the COLOR + RESET isn't doing anything... Is there still something I can do or is this a lost cause?

16 minutes ago, Jeffrey the Legend said:

Yeah so I got around to try playing around with this some more.
First off all, I couldn't get windows device manager to show 'unknown device' to work with even before installing driverassist from the app. Driverassist from app only came after trying a bunch of things to get device manager to show something. Just didn't work and only then I installed driverassist from the app hoping it would then pick up somehow.

Anyway I did the following:
- now removed driverassist using the app again, as it gives an uninstall option, but also went through windows registry and deleted any entries I could find there, just to have it gone gone.

- tried COLOR + RESET, still doesn't do anything (no usb connection jingle and 2600+ shows black screen)
- tried my idea of downgrading dumper to christmas update, but COLOR + RESET still doesn't work, like you already suggested; it doesn't matter for this different mode.

Both B&W + SELECT and COLOR + SELECT give me a USB jingle. One for the dumper update that works fine. The other one comes up as a USB controller, which I've already learned about from the other forum threat what that does.
So those modes work fine and can connect with PC. It's just the COLOR + RESET isn't doing anything... Is there still something I can do or is this a lost cause?

Try different USB ports 2.0, 3.0

19 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Try different USB ports 2.0, 3.0

Thanks that got me at least on the path again. Had to switch PC for that though. Now have at least a usb connection going that does get the jingle, shows the device in device manager and can install drivers according the cChristmas update instructions, and RKDevTools even finds the MASKROM device! It's amazing.

But yeah see screen. Trying to get it to Upgrade.. tried both update-012324.img and update-1225.img .. both same result. Redownloaded even. I'm gonna try another PC device later and will report back

maskrom device found.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jeffrey the Legend said:

Thanks that got me at least on the path again. Had to switch PC for that though. Now have at least a usb connection going that does get the jingle, shows the device in device manager and can install drivers according the cChristmas update instructions, and RKDevTools even finds the MASKROM device! It's amazing.

But yeah see screen. Trying to get it to Upgrade.. tried both update-012324.img and update-1225.img .. both same result. Redownloaded even. I'm gonna try another PC device later and will report back

maskrom device found.png

Is the dumper file upgraded to 1.1.0.9?

Finally got around to updating to the latest Dumper and FW. 

Carts I'm still having issues with:

Smurf: Rescue

Zaxxon

Neither are loading for me and have the exact same issues as I did with 1.0. 

Pitfall!

Still have the clicking sound

And the ones I believe are known not working that I have:

Pitfall II

James Bond 007

All of these have been verified on an unmodified 7800 as working. 

Carts that now work for me:

Burgertime

Circus Convoy

I can also say that all of my 7800 games work (although my 7800 controllers are garbage so I'm desperately looking forward to the CX78+ release)

I've got 3 more Coleco games and Tapper on order that I will test once they arrive. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, GeekDragon said:

Having an issue with the Driver installation.  Windows keeps saying "The last USB device malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it".  I have tried multiple times with different cords and same result.

Tried in a different USB port on your computer as well? And from what I've read, it's best to use the USB cable that came with the 2600+.

If still no luck, maybe you can try on a different computer (if available, or maybe a family member or friend has a PC you could try it on). 

Good luck.

So the emulator update finally went through. Had to switch PC 2 times.

PC1 a rather recent PC from 2022 with USB 3.0 connectors just wouldn't Jingle on COLOR RESET (other modes it would)

PC2 an old PC from 2014 on USB 2.0 ports got connected on COLOR RESET. DriverAssist installed, RKDevTools recoginized the device, but "Download boot fail" (see earlier post)
PC3 a little media box from 2020ish below the television with 2 USB 3.0 connectors on the front. With this I was able to finally go through everything as instructed in the Christmas update post.

Always used the cable that came with the 2600+. Happy got it work, but seems the MASKROM device mode thingy, as it is called by RKDevTools, is a bit picky when it comes to connecting properly. The other modes seem always fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GeekDragon said:

Having an issue with the Driver installation.  Windows keeps saying "The last USB device malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it".  I have tried multiple times with different cords and same results 

Edited by MrChickenz

20 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Finally got around to updating to the latest Dumper and FW. 

Carts I'm still having issues with:

Smurf: Rescue

Zaxxon

Neither are loading for me and have the exact same issues as I did with 1.0. 

Pitfall!

Still have the clicking sound

And the ones I believe are known not working that I have:

Pitfall II

James Bond 007

All of these have been verified on an unmodified 7800 as working. 

Carts that now work for me:

Burgertime

Circus Convoy

I can also say that all of my 7800 games work (although my 7800 controllers are garbage so I'm desperately looking forward to the CX78+ release)

I've got 3 more Coleco games and Tapper on order that I will test once they arrive. 

Would be great to see pitfall 2 working in future updates. Even thou I don't own it, and it is extremely rare in the UK. 👍

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 3:43 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Did you install driver assist from its app or did you update the drivers via device manager?

Because the app just doesn't work even though it says it's installed. It must be done via device manager

Hi Ben!  I cant get unknown device to show up under the device manager.  What can I do?

Edited by Jerry0720

1 hour ago, Jerry0720 said:

Hi Ben!  I cant get unknown device to show up under the device manager.  What can I do?

Same thing happened to me! Try different USB ports 2.0 and 3.0. When I had device manager open I could see it detect and disappear intermittently.

On 1/27/2024 at 10:56 PM, Cody2000 said:

probably needs to be cleaned get a can of deoxit and shoot a small stream of it into the cartridge and take a qtip and swish it around in there if you dont have deoxit use isopropyl and a qtip

second.jpg.77d20086a7f80a45d28816fcec0244ff.jpg

For every cartridge of mine which would not dump, a cotton swab and 99% isopropyl cleaned it right up for me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jerry0720 said:

On Windows 11 I had the same and installed it via the .exe from the Zip. In my case that worked but it is not recommend.

I guess I used different Port (3.0) when I installed the driver then I was on during dumper Upgrade.

I could do upgrades to V1.1 Rev1 with no problems but need some more time to verify with Rev2 again.

8 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Same thing happened to me! Try different USB ports 2.0 and 3.0. When I had device manager open I could see it detect and disappear intermittently.

This is why I looove the USB “standard” - oh how naive we were in the 90s thinking engineers could solve the problem of different serial/parallel ports in a way that would make any sense at all 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

On Windows 11 I had the same and installed it via the .exe from the Zip. In my case that worked but it is not recommend.

I guess I used different Port (3.0) when I installed the driver then I was on during dumper Upgrade.

I could do upgrades to V1.1 Rev1 with no problems but need some more time to verify with Rev2 again.

Thanks so much! I guess mine installed from .exe file also (windows 10).  I'm not 100% sure.  Is there a way to check it?  When I turn my game on it says version 1.1, and underneath that is says stella 6.7. Is that correct?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jerry0720 said:

Thanks so much! I guess mine installed from .exe file also (windows 10).  I'm not 100% sure.  Is there a way to check it?  When I turn my game on it says version 1.1, and underneath that is says stella 6.7. Is that correct?

For V1.1 Rev1 it is correct, if it is the same for Rev2, I don't know, as I did not install it so far, hope to do it soon.

Maybe others cant tell what is displayed for Rev2?

Edited by DEANJIMMY