IGNORED

Rare unreleased Tarzan game

Ashtonrusso

I have utterly no interest in buying this game, but I would love to see some gameplay video or, at least, screenshots. 

Given that there looks to be a production label, I wonder how many of these cartridges were produced. 

Kind of surprised this topic isn't going nuts right now, this is a pretty impressive/rare find. Maybe add "found" to the title or switch it to the 2600 section. Also get some screen shots and videos of this playing/working immediately. If its legit you should do pretty well on the sale of it... I don't think damage to the label would affect the price much, if at all. Whats inside it is more important 😃 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Kind of surprised this topic isn't going nuts right now, this is a pretty impressive/rare find. Maybe add "found" to the title or switch it to the 2600 section. Also get some screen shots and videos of this playing/working immediately. If its legit you should do pretty well on the sale of it... I don't think damage to the label would affect the price much, if at all. Whats inside it is more important 😃 

I think most people are taking a wait and see approach in regards to legitimacy.

DO NOT sell that for 2k.

The buyer will flip it for 10k or more.

You could list it on Ebay for a really high amount, and see how may people make offer or "follow" your listing. That's a good way to see interest and get somewhere towards a value.
See if you could email or send a tweet to any old Coleco developers to see how rare this thing is.

9 minutes ago, donjn said:

DO NOT sell that for 2k.

You could list it on Ebay for a really high amount, and see how may people make offer or "follow" your listing. That's a good way to see interest and get somewhere towards a value.
See if you could email or send a tweet to any old Coleco developers to see how rare this thing is.

He should get some screenshots.  It's easy to mock up a label and slap it on a cart.  And that can be any old board in that cartridge shell.  How do you prove it's genuine?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donjn said:

There are very few 2600 games of any sort that reach $10k sales figures. Who knows what this Tarzan is worth exactly but don't go telling the guy it's $10k + when there is next to no chance he gets that for it. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, donjn said:

DO NOT sell that for 2k.

10k "or more" is highly unlikely...

Some questions need to be answered before its even worth 2k...

- is it real/authentic?

- does it work?

- how complete is it? 

Again, screen shots and video would help this sale immensely...

It "looks" real but I'm not really qualified to validate a proto. I do know if the game is near complete (or complete) and playable its worth a lot more than say just a title screen, or unplayable demo, etc... 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pboland said:

Which he most likely put holes in to get the screws out to open it? I have a feeling that might effect the value some.

What if he put the label on after he opened it up? Ever think about that? ;)

• Haha 4

Here is the Atarimania link showing scans of the manual.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-tarzan_20495.html

Those interested in seeing how this prototype - if that’s what it genuinely is - was intended to function can get a good idea of the gameplay from it. 

Clearly we need to see screenshots or even a video of the game being played before taking this seriously. That said, I REALLY hope this potentially massive find is legit. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rockymin said:

He should get some screenshots.  It's easy to mock up a label and slap it on a cart.  And that can be any old board in that cartridge shell.  How do you prove it's genuine?

True, but the underside of the label (that can be seen in the photo at the hinge point) looks very yellow and stiff. That would at least indicate an aged label of some kind. Of course that too can be faked.

Label_Hinge.thumb.jpg.7c63854b11183bb7295483a837ae8ae2.jpg

13 hours ago, cvga said:

What if he put the label on after he opened it up? Ever think about that? ;)

😄. That's possible. Again, looking at the hinge point of the open cart it is very indicative of an older label stock. And I can honestly say I know something about labels. 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rom Hunter said:

And this one should be ROM dumped asap.

Therein lies my concern, Rom. Current dumping software may not recognize it if the chip is unique. One of our brilliant engineering types might need to get hands on it.

18 minutes ago, bfstats said:

Therein lies my concern, Rom. Current dumping software may not recognize it if the chip is unique. One of our brilliant engineering types might need to get hands on it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161208144456/http://www.2600connection.com:80/library/tech_docs/tech_docs.html

Wickstead notebook 2 - 10-24-83 to 6-30-86:
image.thumb.png.21eea2ab52731b51fdb1152946a45c8e.png

• Thanks 3