IGNORED

Snake Core (by OrangePixel) - (coming soon)

justclaws

Pascal (OrangePixel) also announced this game is coming to the VCS.

Snake Core is an Arcade game combining the gameplay mechanics of Snake but twisting and turning the setting
and variationinto an inter-galactic war against an alien threat with a variation of mission types and army units.

Command your army of different soldier units as they attack aliens, take out bombs, retrieve soldiers, defend key
locations, and hunt down big Snake like creatures. The game plays in different game-modes, with a multi-route
map that allows the player to decide the best route to the Alien Overlord.

Grab power-ups to improve your soldiers skills, wipe out aliens, and increase your score.. because in true Arcade
tradition, getting your name at the top of the high-score list might be the most important thing!

AVAILABLE UNITS
Soldier – Soldiers are pretty much frag-meat for these missions. But wee work with what we got..
Elite – Elite grunts are the best of the best, trained for off-planet missions like these. They also look pretty cool.
Swat – Swat members wear protective gear, making them better in defending against alien attacks.
Jeeps – Not a fan of these Jeep drivers, they are reckless and crazy. They do come in handy in battles, so we let them.
Tanks – Tank drivers, the crazy ones! They’ll drive into anything while shooting like a maniac.
Mech – Our scientists finally came up with something nice: heavy mobile robots, controlled by hand picked Elite soldiers.
Medic – Soldier with medical training. With a medic in your ranks, you will increase the life-span of your front-runner.
Defense – We’ve send out some protective guards to defend our scientists and their gadgets. (Mostly there to make the scientists less jumpy).
Doc – Our scientists are working hard on… science things. Can’t win this fight without them!

FEATURES
Simple to understand game-loop – The game is easy to understand, and it allows everyone to enjoy the commanding of an off-world army with different units and strengths.
Node based mission map – A randomized mission screen, allows you to choose which path you take to reach the end boss.
Upgrades – Recruit new units, and upgrade your units for a stronger army.
Short game sessions – Snake Core is designed for short gaming sessions, a great game to pick up at any time for a quick go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, E. King said:

Great! The VCS needs more overpriced mobile game shovelware. 

Why so cynical?  Which games are you describing as "overpriced mobile game shovelware"?  So far I've not seen, nor played anything that resembles that description on the VCS.

3 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

Why so cynical?  Which games are you describing as "overpriced mobile game shovelware"?  So far I've not seen, nor played anything that resembles that description on the VCS.

Actually not being sarcastic.  The VCS needs a lot more shovelware like this so the platform can one day reach 250 games and then the fanboys can proudly say "The VCS has 250 games"

All platforms have shovelware and the VCS is no different.  There is a lot of shovelware on the VCS but I am not going to name them all for you here as it would be off topic to do so.

If you want to start a new topic about shovelware on the VCS maybe I will list them there for you 🤣

As far as I know, the majority of Orange Pixels games that he brings to the VCS are overpriced recycled old mobile shovelware games.

I personally have really enjoyed the Orange Pixel games and the developer seems like a great guy. I really enjoy the look into the creative process he gives through his YouTube videos. I think it is obvious that he cares about the games he is making.

I can see that the games wouldn’t be for everyone but I like having some quick, bite-sized games on the system. And they cost less than a movie ticket so I feel like I’ve gotten much more value from them.

• Like 3

I'd never heard of OrangePixel before I bought the VCS, but I've enjoyed some of the games they've released on the VCS. Residual is really fun. The Gunslugs games are fun for some good ol' school side scolling shooter shenanigans and the Heroes of Loot games are fun dungeon crawlers. I know they've released more on there, but I think those are all of the ones I have.

I'm not sure on this one. Snake has never been my favorite game and the audio seems like it could get annoying really fast. But, I'm sure someone will enjoy it. It's not like every game has to appeal to everyone. That's why we have variety.

47 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I'd never heard of OrangePixel before I bought the VCS, but I've enjoyed some of the games they've released on the VCS. Residual is really fun. The Gunslugs games are fun for some good ol' school side scolling shooter shenanigans and the Heroes of Loot games are fun dungeon crawlers. I know they've released more on there, but I think those are all of the ones I have.

I'm not sure on this one. Snake has never been my favorite game and the audio seems like it could get annoying really fast. But, I'm sure someone will enjoy it. It's not like every game has to appeal to everyone. That's why we have variety.

I have this on iOS and it’s pretty darn good. The only downside is on touchscreen the swiping can be a bit flaky, so playing this with a joystick should improve it. There’s quite a lot to it, like someone else said above I really like OrangePixel’s games, he’s a great dev. 

Also very good point that not every game has to appeal to everyone :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, E. King said:

Actually not being sarcastic.  The VCS needs a lot more shovelware like this so the platform can one day reach 250 games and then the fanboys can proudly say "The VCS has 250 games"

The VCS already has more official releases than the 5200, 7800, Jaguar and Lynx,  I'm not sure what would be special about 250 games,  the next logical milestone would be to beat the 2600 at around ~500  games.

12 hours ago, Slider271 said:

I have this on iOS and it’s pretty darn good. The only downside is on touchscreen the swiping can be a bit flaky, so playing this with a joystick should improve it. There’s quite a lot to it, like someone else said above I really like OrangePixel’s games, he’s a great dev. 

Also very good point that not every game has to appeal to everyone :)

Exactly,  if the game doesn't appeal to you, don't buy it.   The OrangePixel games all seem well-made, but many are in genres that don't appeal to me, so I've only purchased a few of them.

• Like 3

I think calling Orange Pixel's games "shovelware" couldn't be farther from the truth. From what I've seen, OP's games have been polished retro-style entries with really fun gameplay. Gunslugs, Space Grunts, and Stardash (to name a few) have all had a lot of game time on my VCS. Sure, a few of these titles have had mobile ports, but don't let that fool you, these games have been an awesome addition to the VCS console. This is obviously my biased opinion (OP is probably my favorite non-atari developer for the VCS), but I think calling these games shovelware is wildly inaccurate.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RollOut said:

I think calling Orange Pixel's games "shovelware" couldn't be farther from the truth. From what I've seen, OP's games have been polished retro-style entries with really fun gameplay. Gunslugs, Space Grunts, and Stardash (to name a few) have all had a lot of game time on my VCS. Sure, a few of these titles have had mobile ports, but don't let that fool you, these games have been an awesome addition to the VCS console. This is obviously my biased opinion (OP is probably my favorite non-atari developer for the VCS), but I think calling these games shovelware is wildly inaccurate.

I agree Orange Pixel games are far from shovelware. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Exactly,  if the game doesn't appeal to you, don't buy it.   The OrangePixel games all seem well-made, but many are in genres that don't appeal to me, so I've only purchased a few of them.

Same. As I said previously, I have 5 of their games on the VCS. I don't have the others because they don't appeal to me. (actually, I'm on the fence about getting Space Grunts) But they do to someone, all their games are highly rated in the store.

Edited by scifidude79

3 hours ago, zzip said:

The VCS already has more official releases than the 5200, 7800, Jaguar and Lynx,  I'm not sure what would be special about 250 games,  the next logical milestone would be to beat the 2600 at around ~500  games.

You can't compare number of releases of an all digital mini pc with all digital releases to real cartridge based game consoles with all physical releases.

It is an absurd comparison.

8 hours ago, E. King said:

You can't compare number of releases of an all digital mini pc with all digital releases to real cartridge based game consoles with all physical releases.

It is an absurd comparison.

A game is a game is a game.  It matters not whether it's delivered digitally or on some other medium.  All of the game data is digital anyway.  Do I prefer carts?  Yes, but that's probably because I grew up with them.  It doesn't matter if the VCS gets 500 games on it or not.  Buy what you like, not what someone else is telling you to buy.  If you don't like the digital delivery of the VCS then maybe the 2600+ is more your speed.

🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1