IGNORED

Text Graphic Adventure Creator inquiry

40 minutes ago, calfranklin0598 said:

I'm interested is finding a Text Graphic Adventure Creator that would allow me to add story text, quiz input and graphics to illustrate an adventure story.  Could someone recommend a program for the Atari 8-bit that work on the 64K computer?  Thanks, Cal

I suppose in order for people to help we'd need some more clarification.

Firstly, are you familair with the Atari 8 bits as such, or are you new to them? Reason I am asking is if you are new to them, your expectation of what is possible, (maybe based on other retro computers), might have a baring on things. Typical 8 bit graphic adventures, especially Atari 8-bit would be in 4-5 colour modes, often drawn on screen in realtime. (In actual fact the Atari 8 bit is capable of a lot, especially now (check out Rastaconverter Windows software that has a major following), but that takes up a lot of memory per image and lots of Atari CPU cycles/resources to load and display).

You are after a program that runs on the Atari 8bit (64k) that allow the creation of games with both text and graphics. Not sure if something exists, epecially running on 64k. There may well be a text only creators. 

In terms of text only adventure games running on the atari 8 bit there are many in the Atari back catalogue. There are also quite few text adventures with graphics, albeit fairly rudemantary graphics.  This is mainly down to the memory limits, plus also in terms of the context of the time they were made and the graphics modes/draw methods used to create them.

Case in point:

Atari 400 800 XL XE SAGA No. 1 - Adventureland : scans, dump, download,  screenshots, ads, videos, catalog, instructions, roms  Atari 400 800 XL XE Neverending Story (The) : scans, dump, download,  screenshots, ads, videos, catalog, instructions, roms  Atari 400 800 XL XE Questprobe #3 - Fantastic Four : scans, dump, download,  screenshots, ads, videos, catalog, instructions, roms

image.thumb.png.e7030345b5a3f171875be16de5fc96fc.png

There are Windows PC softwares that allow you to create Text adventure games on multiple retro platforms.  I forget the platform name. I am just not sure if there are any actual fully working Atari 8 bit based graphic adventure creator programs out there - let alone that would work on 64k. Graphic content takes up memory.

Edit: not a text/graphics creator program as such, and it requires coding experience, but there is a point a click Windows based program that was created in the last 15 years that was called Adventure studio. It showed real promise.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

Thanks for information, I actually found an 8-bit Adventure Creator program for the C64 on Abandonware.com, but apparently never released for Atari.  Here's the link in case someone would like to try to port it over to Atari:

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/the-graphic-adventure-creator-65u

Edited by calfranklin0598
wrong link
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, calfranklin0598 said:

Thanks for links!  Do you know of any Text/Graphic Adventure software for the Atari ST 16-bit computer?

No worries. Sorry, I don't know much about the ST. Post on an Atariage ST forum and I am sure you'll get answers. ;)

Edited by Beeblebrox